Moxie's Grill & Bar
Moxie's Grill & Bar Employee Review

Non supportive management-not good money.

13 February 2019
I worked for Moxie's for nearly a year and by the end of it, I felt mentally exhausted. The management was completely one sided and I never felt supported by them. They would tell me to come to them if I had any questions or issues...and as soon as I'd come to them with something, they'd make me feel stupid or belittle me for doing something wrong. On top of all of that, they would hold us off from clocking in until you got your first table sat in your section, no matter what your start time is. So on the less busy days, I'd sit there for over half an hour not getting paid and sometimes they would just send me home if no one was coming in. So I would drive all the way there for no pay or even a meal on them. And at the end of your shift, you only receive 30 mins from the time you're cut to complete all side duties, bus and clean tables, and bill out guests. So if you do not complete all of this within that 30 min time frame, you're basically working for free as they are not paying you past the 30 mins. This to me made it seem like it is a company that would do anything to save a penny, even if it means ripping off their staff. Not to mention the high tip out percentage. The only time i ever made decent money while working at Moxie's was if i worked a split shift from 10am-10pm. And in between the split you get maybe 1-2 hours which is not enough time to eat or go home and there was no meal provided (only 40% off discount for staff). The money was not worth the time and effort put in. Only positive is that they do provide thorough training. Would not suggest even applying.
Pros
thorough training.
Cons
poor management, high tip out, poor hours, made no money, lots of split shifts
7 September 2020
Same role
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) - Edmonton, AB
When I started at Moxie’s, it was full of life, employed great people who had ambition and positive personalities, had management who cared, and actually put out dishes that the kitchen was passionate about. I regret to say that this is not the case anymore. The aesthetic of Moxie’s has diminished severely over time. They used to hire people who cared about their own personal hygiene, cleanliness, and overall appearance. It was mandatory to come to work as the best version of yourself with a “glamorous evening look” and polished uniform. Now, it seems as if employees can just roll out of bed and come to work. In terms of job advancement, that comes mostly based off of hard work and loyalty. However, management made some very questionable decisions about promoting certain employees to supervisory/bartending/shift leading positions even after they had heard about misconduct. The only motive for this was scheduling and to make managements lives easier because they had more people trained for certain positions. It is clear that they care more about the quantity of people trained rather than the quality of people trained. Salary wise, they pay minimum wage per hour. Tipout increased 100% from the time I started. I began when tipout was 3.25% and by the time I left, it was 7.00%. Managers also began to receive a portion of the server’s tipout. To me, it made no sense that I was paying out of my pocket to have a manager on the floor. I was employed for a long time and would have stayed longer if the management and owner activity wasn’t so suspicious. The work culture, however, - more...
Pros
Schedule flexibility, tips, staff happy hour deals
Cons
Management, building maintenance issues that owners refuse to fix, long hours, physically demanding
1 September 2020
Same role
Server and Bartender (Former Employee) - Mississauga, ON
The favouritism by the management was absurd and not subtle what so ever. It didn’t matter how hard of a worker you were. I have seen a lot of verbal harassment and bullying by management. There is no managerial support what so ever. Managers would either not be found or pretending they were busy. They wouldn’t care to watch you crash and burn on busy day/night. The tip out is insanely high at 5.5% and most of it goes to the management. The only bright side was the fellow employees
Pros
Staff
Cons
Management, bullying, favouritism, tip out
21 August 2020
Same location
Anonymous (Former Employee) - Barrie, ON
This job scars me for life . It gave me low self steam , they bullied me , and forced me to work non-stop. They made jokes about where I’m come from . I constantly was in trouble for no reason. The manager me sign papers that I didn’t agreed with or understand. The manager made inappropriate jokes about me and my Family. They made jokes about my health. I was very stress out , They constantly threatened to fire me. I took it for years because it was close to my home. Perhaps, I stayed because I had low self esteem and I didn’t believe I could find another job.When the restaurant opened it was very successful and good tip outs for employees. The mismanagement of various managers made the work place very stressful. Many employees were fired for no reason or simply walk away. Eventually, employees lost the tips which were given to the supervisors. This wasn’t fair to the longtime employees.I did a lot of work for them , when I left I didn’t receive a thank you for the many years of service. Now I’m afraid they will be trying to damage reputation and give me negative references. This was done to other employees in the past.I do not recommend this environment for anyone. All I try to do now is move on with my life.
Pros
I made good friends. There was good team work between employees.
Cons
The managers didn’t credit us with the correct number of hours worked. They consistently, reduced my hours worked to low labor costs.
  1. Non supportive management-not good money.