Moxie's Grill & Bar Employee Reviews

Not for serious chefs
Saute cook (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 November 2018
Moxie's is hands down one of the least organized kitchens I've ever worked in. Prep is never finished on time. Certain parts of the line are never stocked properly. If you start at 5 and you need to stock, you won't have much time because that's when the dinner rush starts to trickle in. You're given a ridiculous amount of cleaning duties per station on top of a weekly cleaning duty, which is hard to get done when they want you to be finished within your scheduled time. A typical day is arriving to work when it's already busy, not having enough stock on the line, being behind on orders due to the fact that you constantly need to run to the fridge and then being blamed for long ticket times. Management rarely solves problems. The culture is sort of divided between the two types of employee's. You have the lifers who are pretty gung ho about everything, and you have the employees who are just there until their other careers take off.The hardest part of the job is trying not to quit over problems that shouldn't exist. The most enjoyable part of the job is leaving at the end of the night. What I learned from working there is how to not run a restaurant. They also think Demi-Glace is actually called Demi-Glaze.
Pros
You will be motivated to do better with your life
Cons
You are underpaid for level of qualification
Fun Work environment, Welcoming Staff
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 October 2018
Moxie`s Bar & Grill is a great place to work due to their warm welcoming staff.

A typical day would be:
-punch in
-change into uniform
-a brief rundown of how the day was before your shift
-your shift begins
-your shift ends

A learned that teamwork is important in a cooperative work environment. The management is very understanding, if any inconveniences were to happen they understand your position and do what they can to help. The workplace is fun and enlightening, they engage with you to a friend level making you feel involved and welcome.
The hardest part of the job was closing, being a Dishwasher you close your station last because you have to clean the other stations' equipment and that keeps the managers and other coworkers waiting.
The most enjoyable part of the job is starting because everyone greets you and your coworkers give you intel on how the day is going and what they predict the day will be like, which helps you prepare for later.
Pros
Free lunches, Good discount
Cons
Long hours, Standing a lot, Late closes
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, ON11 February 2019
Great atmosphere, friendly staff, well organised environment. Exciting job and interactive all around. Depending on the busy mornings, evenings or nights, this job allows you to gain experience towards restaurant industry skills, techniques and more.
Pros
Challenging, interactive and competitive well trained team
Cons
Salary, benefits and stressful at times
great restaurant to work in
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 December 2018
A typical day was just taking peoples orders and taking care of all my tables for about 10 hours every day. I learned some new bar tending skills. management was really great there! They were very good with making sure you were helped as well as always being ready to help.
Pros
Excellent Management
Cons
Long Hours
Bad pay/Management sucks
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC19 June 2018
They pay you the bare minimum, and ask you to do the job of 6.
Paid 11$ an hour. Only to have a raise 6 months later of 25 cents. Despite doing doubles most days, working 6 days a week and being the head of the prep team.
Next raise was 6 months after that and it went up 50 cents after I fought with the chef for about 45 minutes on why I should get more than just another 25 cents.
Management does what they want when they want. If they wanna go smoke while you’re in the middle of a dinner rush they don’t care they just take off and don’t say anything. Turnover of staff is ridiculous except for the 3 people that decide never to leave.
Bartenders have to accept drinks from customers but have to throw it out because they aren’t allowed to drink on the job. Most bartenders I know do shots throughout there service out of respect for the client that bought it for them. But not at moxies.
If you work in the kitchen you aren’t allowed to eat unless you pay for the food. Management tells you to go punch it in and pay if they catch you eating even a small snack and discount is between 40-60%.
Chefs, sous-chefs and managers are the only ones allowed free food.
Really not worth it. Unless you’re coming right out of culinary school or if it’s your first  “real” kitchen job after McDonald’s or subways.
Cons
Great place to make friends, management made the experience extremely negative
Lounge Server (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB19 October 2018
Working at Moxie’s Moncton can be extremely stressful and anxiety inducing- unfortunately due to the management. They do not act like they are on your team and it feels like they are out to get you or look for you to make a mistake and make you feel very awful about it. They also have favourites. Management needs to understand instilling fear in their employees makes for a negative environment, leading to stress in an already potentially stressful job.
You are just a number at Moxie’s Moncton.
The audits are ridiculous. You could get triple sat with a secret shopper and if it doesn’t go perfectly based on the overall experience (bartenders taking too long to make drinks, kitchen messed up the food order, food runner didn’t offer pepper with dish) the SERVER gets penalized for that and potentially even suspended.
Work somewhere else, this place is bad for your mental health
Pros
You can make great friends and money
Cons
Management is miserable
poor management, will hold your tips if you quit
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 November 2018
Dont work at Moxies South port in Calgary AB. Literally the worst management I have ever experienced. Employers yell at you in front of customers.. when I quit, I tried to give 2 weeks notice.. manager didn't answer calls, emails or text messages from me and refused to put me on the schedule. I went in to the restaurant to pick up my tips and from previous shifts and they refused to give them.. waste of time to work there when management is like that
Pros
didn't experience any
Cons
no morale, aggressive management
Fun place to work
Lounge Server (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON16 October 2018
I was employed at Moxies for 4 years. Great opportunity, I met some life long friends and gained a lot of transferable skills i.e. customer service, time management, working in a fasted paced (sometimes stressful) environment, extensive food and beverage training. You have to be on your toes at all times as it is very fast paced and high turn over of customers. Moxies goes above and beyond with customer service, customer experience is Moxies number one priority. Hours can be long, however most customers and staff are very pleasant and make work fun. Also potential to make great money.
great people
Prep Cook Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK29 September 2018
i enjoyed my time with i spent here with long hours working in the dish pit and the nonstop dishes that came through the door. management worked incredibly hard to keep up with the seasonal change.
Pros
brakes
Cons
few hours
Productive and great work culture
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON5 November 2018
Fantastic work environment which involves decent length shifts, with a steady to busy work pace. Management is friendly but also very professional. Connecting with different guests and managing different tasks at any given moment is arguably the most enjoyable part of the job. Difficult tasks are handle well as the work place is very resourceful. Overall, a great work environment for those who a have a passion in the service industry.
Pros
Creating guest connections
Cons
Short hours
Employees were great to work with management sucked
Hotesse (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON17 October 2018
I worked as a hostes for a couple months, when I first started they hardly trained me. So when I got out on the floor I was a little lost and didn’t really know who to talk to about questions. When you did do something wrong managers would treat you like garbage. It almost felt like they expected you to know something you weren’t trained on.

You got in trouble for not having makeup on or having your hair done

You had to run in heels during you’re shift
Pros
Other employees
Cons
Good people, good customers, poor management when i worked there
Server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 January 2019
It has been a long time since i worked here but when i did, the management team was more relaxed than attentive to the floor and to servers. one manager was constantly on her computer during shifts watching movies and would seem annoyed when asked for help. The GM is a cool guy too but hes way too relaxed and doesn't seem to care much. i had no hesitation in leaving.
Great place to meet new people and learn new things
Office/Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS16 August 2018
well first greeting tables, getting to know your guest making suggestions to them and learning a little about what they like and don't like, and if they are returning then you get to know them on more a personal level.
Also closing up for the day, so side duties for cleaning, opening up the restaurant in the morning preparing for the day. as well closing up the end of day sales report, and balancing the books, as well dividing up tips for servers, payroll entailed collecting all the information and imputing it into the payroll system making sure all the numbers balanced. submitting it off to the controller for a final check before it as submitted. enter people into the system with their personal information and banking information for direct deposit, weather or not they wanted to sign up for benefits.
Pros
GREAT experience great people
Enjoyable, some negative factors
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 September 2018
It is a 50/50 chance that it will be busy. I have found that lately with the economy being so low, it has not been very busy or beneficial money wise. The people you work with are great, sometimes management is not that pleasant. Not very leader-like. The hardest part of your job is dealing with the guests that come in, as I am sure it is like that everywhere you go. The most enjoyable part is the regulars that come in and build a relationship with you.
Great place for a student to work
SERVER, BARTENDER AND SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2019
Moxies was a great place for me while I was going to school. They were always very accommodating to my school schedule. I had lots of opportunities for advancement and learning.
Management is a NIGHTMARE
Dining Room Server (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS10 December 2018
The staff that work here are (for the most part) a delight to work alongside. However, the management is full of individuals not meant for such positions, all for varying reasons.
Amazing place to work
LINE COOK (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, ON30 October 2018
Everyday i was doing something different and working with different people. never have i ever worked in a team environment that worked so well together. Management Team Was Understanding and laid back yet firm when needed
Pros
amazing people
Cons
split shifts
Good culture and oportunities
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 January 2018
Moxie's has a good culture and, on the franchise I've worked for, great management team. My superiors were always eager to coach me and there were many opportunities for advancement. Unfortunately, the industry demands long hours, late nights and weekends.
Pros
Good benefits, free lunches and good discounts.
Cons
Long hours and mandatory weekends
Very Frustrating Job
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 June 2018
Managers will not care about you, no matter what they want you to think. You will never be shown understanding for simple mistakes. Even on busy days money is not very good. Super short shifts. The goal of the restaurant is to place all the employees against each other to compete for hours, tips, and promotions. Females are also forced to wear heels and keep hair down at all times with the idea that females look more physically pleasing to men this way. Sexist. Careless. Behind the times. Not a good job.
Pros
Short hours for a casual job
Cons
Short shifts, you will be broke.
Not a great place to work if you are a male
Supervisor, Bartender (Former Employee) –  Alberta2 November 2018
My advancement in the company was hindered because I was not an attractive 20-25 year old female. Was not allowed to work to my strengths because of my gender.
Pros
Steady hours and pay
Cons
Very sexist company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Moxie's Grill & Bar. Our community is ready to answer.