Movati Athletic Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
Full time Janitor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON8 August 2018
I enjoyed my time working here. It was a great environment with happy people. They treated their employees with lots of respect. The atmosphere of Movati is great!
Amazing place to work!
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Nepean, ON31 July 2018
As a trainer you have to be driven and care about what you are doing or else you won't make it. Typically you spend over 60 hours a week at work and only get paid for the amount of hours that you are booking, however you have the freedom to set your schedule however you like and train during the break. Sometimes spending this much time at work does take a toll on you.

Management is fantastic I could not have asked for a better group of managers, they care deeply for employees and give you the tools and guidance to make sure that you succeed. You will only fail if you let yourself.

Club culture is amazing, everyone respects each other and because you spend so much time in the building these people become your best friends.

Unlike other gyms you are given vacation, sick days and personal days with pay. You are also given benefits.

Movati is an amazing place to work if you are passionate about helping others.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Long work weeks
Fun team
Membership Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 July 2018
Relaxed office environment, friendly staff and a complimentary gym membership, who could ask for more? Enjoyed my time at this facility. I only left because i relocated to another country.
Typical Corporate Gym
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON4 July 2018
You work like a dog, get paid for barely anything. Easily spend 60+ hours there a week and was paid for maybe 30 of it. Job is never threatened but each location constantly hires new trainers every month or two to basically tell you that you must work harder.

Management never answers questions, just defers the response for later. I would show up at 6 am and leave at 9 pm most days of the week and when I wanted to take weekends off, I was told it is now mandatory to work on either saturday or sunday.

The only enjoyable part of working their was the clients that I got to work with, they were all awesome people.
has so much potential but environment is toxic
Memeber Experience Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON South Location27 June 2018
Movati hires some great individuals on the front lines who truly are great to work with. Some days the job can be fun but lacks challenge and involves a lot of getting yelled at for things totally out of your control. Management are very hard to locate as they hide in their offices and mainly only show up when they fear hire ups may be around. Micromanagment style and a complete lack of effort to develop or mentor employees or encourage their personal growth. Very much a " what have you done for me lately" mentality at this location. Management constantly speak about other management/ staff/ head office. Very gossip driven and unprofessional environment.There are some good members and meaningful relationships formed. You receive a free gym membership.
Pros
free membership
Cons
negative work enviroment, no postive reinforcement, feel like a child working there
Not worth your time
Member Experience Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 June 2018
Movati used to be a great place to work at until they started to change all of their policies and started treating their staff like inmates. There is no positive reinforcement for the staff, they never do anything to boost moral and will write you up for anything. The management that works at Movati has zero experience and has absolutely no idea how to manage a their team nor support them. I highly DO NOT recommend investing your time with this company because they will definitely not invest their time in you and help you grow professionally.

Other staff members are great to get along with and the members (most of them) were wonderful.
Pros
members and staff
Cons
bad management, lack of support
Great place
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 May 2018
Great team, and flexible schedule when youre in school or for other reasons. Theres a lot of areas to work in, not just the front desk. Be ready to deal with angry members who's rate may increase, but fail to understand that they signed a contract. Easy going with the staff.
Just do your job and be merry.
Pros
free pizza every last friday of the month
Good Company, Positive Work Environment
MEMBERSHIP CO-ORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 May 2018
All the staff and management are typically very positive, alot of room to advance if you stay long term although most entry positions are only part time. They employee alot of students. All in all a great part time or full time job for entry level positions. Company is also growing quickly so also lots of opportunists for those willing to relocate
Pros
Positive workplace, Free Gym membership
Cons
Management overlap i.e. 1 issue communicated by multiple managers
worst place I've ever worked
Cleaner/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON28 April 2018
The positive reviews on this site was probably from management. Everybody hated working there everything was wrong with that place including pay and being overworked they call you in on your day off and you had to work even if you had an appointment.
Pros
free facilities
Cons
overworked and underpaid
Vibrant and Enjoyable Work Experience
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON20 April 2018
Over the course of the time that I was employed at Movati Athletic, I experienced moments where the business was slow. It was important to be occupied doing something while the business was slow. I would either find myself cleaning or restocking anything that needed restocking. When the business was extremely upbeat and fast pace, I would find myself in a non-stop work mode. It was important for efficient work to be done to ensure the customer was happy. Over the course of my employment, I learned how important customer service is in a very healthy environment such as a gym. It is important to always be positive even at those fast pace moments. The most difficult part of working for Movati Athletic, was probably knowing that the customers were being active and unfortunately I was not. The most enjoyable part of working for Movati Athletic was the wonderful coworkers I had the privilege of working with and learning from.
Do not recommend
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 April 2018
I do not recommend being a supervisor with this company especially in the front desk department. This position does not pay well and most employees are miserable or stressed due to the nasty members (there’s a lot of them trust me) the front desk staff have a general lack of experience and some have bad attitudes even towards management. Other supervisors from other departments are useless and do what ever they please and have no respect for the front desk. Communication is terrible between front desk and the sales department. Half the time we were never informed of new events or promotions then looked stupid when members were inquiring. Looks good on the outside until you get in. For the pay it really isn’t worth it.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Low pay, nasty members, boring, repetitive work
Not as pleasant as it seems
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 February 2018
Your co-workers and the aesthetic of the gym are the only things that will keep you sane. Management tends to put off serious issues till the problem escalates, resulting in outbursts from the members or inspectors - and by then management is quick to rectify the situation by giving the rest of the staff a hard time. Confidentiality is never held sacred, management is quick to divulge sensitive information to staff, and sometimes even to members!

Lots of promises to move up the ladder but that rarely happens unless you're friends with people up there. Hard work is barely recognized and management is quick to point out flaws. Staff training consists of mainly watching presentations that glorify Movati and less about how to do your job correctly/effectively.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Low pay, Terrible management
Looks good on the outside until you start working there...
Member Experience Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 February 2018
On the outside it looks like a fun place to work, which it mostly is thanks to your fellow coworkers. However, upper management is horrendous (head office, GMs, etc). Supervisors are great and try their hardest to make it bearable. The rest of them do not care about their employees at all - do not take feedback, no human empathy, no criticism allowed and do not back their employees up when they're being screamed at at the front desk. It could be a good place to work in the future except for all the idiots at head office. Everyone is married to each other or sleeping together which is how they got their in the first place even if they are completely incompetent.
Pros
free gym membership, fellow coworkers
Cons
Horrible upper management, no growth opportunities, unreasonable salary for front desk employees, favouritism
Has its challenges
Education Specialist and Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 January 2018
I truly enjoy working with the members but find it challenging to deal with many of the supervisors. There dos not seem to be a team environment to this facility and teaching styles are becoming dictated to instructors.
Pros
Members
Cons
Staff turnover/Lack of security is scary
Member Experience Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 January 2018
Members are always mad because they don’t like the club policies. Supervisors will come back you up if you ask for help but sometimes they aren’t available. The policies don’t always make sense, so a good amount of the member anger is justifiable.
A frightening amount of people get fired for no reason. One day they’re working alongside you and doing a good job, and the next day, they’re gone and they don’t even know why. Dedication, proficiency, and work ethic don’t seem to matter when it comes to who they fire either.
Information isn’t always communicated from one department to the next which can cause some issues. Even within departments, one supervisor may tell you something completely different from the next.
The environment is stressful. I feel anxious from the moment I step in the doors to the moment I leave, but at least you don’t have to take work home with you.
Pros
Free membership, discounts on other things
Cons
Toxic environment, no job security
Great staff, bad compensation
Membership Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Nepean, ON23 January 2018
The friends that I have made here are amazing. The job itself could be really fun if it wasn't so heavily micromanaged. The compensation needs to be improved on in relation to how much responsibility there is. Now that minimum wage has increased, you could work part time retail making more money for less stress. The reason many people I know personally and professional have quit this position is because of the amount of stress you have to deal with day in and day out. Like I said, this SHOULD be a really amazing and fun place to work but their need to make everything "5 star" and above and beyond is not reflected in fair coaching and wages and clientele.
Enjoyable, secure job
Playroom associate (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON21 November 2017
Movati has been wonderful to work for for the past year and half. Always inclusive and welcoming. Sense of job security and always ways to help you move up in the company
Movati
Playroom Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON7 November 2017
I worked here for 9 yrs. I enjoyed the challenges of my job everyday. I miss working with my co-workers we were an amazing team. Staff outside of our area were friendly to work with.
Pros
Amazing Co-workers
Cons
Bad communication from some staff
Awful Management
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 November 2017
Got fired "without cause", was given no reason for being terminated. Wasn't trained well at all. Will never go back here, the management including HR was garbage. DO NOT WORK HERE, no future within this company.
Pros
Free Membership
Best Job Ever!
Group Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  London, ON19 October 2017
This is the best job and the best company to work for ever!
You get to choose your hours, your style of teaching, and receive immediate feedback to constantly improve. You are given the freedom to be creative and bring new modes of exercises to the studio. As part of your license contract, you are required to stay up to date on continuing education courses, which is a great way to stay in top mental shape. The facility is gorgeous and has a lot to offer their members.
Pros
Free Gym Membership and Acess to Classes
Cons
Not enough hours