Movati Athletic Employee Reviews

Great place
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 May 2018
Great team, and flexible schedule when youre in school or for other reasons. Theres a lot of areas to work in, not just the front desk. Be ready to deal with angry members who's rate may increase, but fail to understand that they signed a contract. Easy going with the staff.
Just do your job and be merry.
Pros
free pizza every last friday of the month
Good Company, Positive Work Environment
MEMBERSHIP CO-ORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 May 2018
All the staff and management are typically very positive, alot of room to advance if you stay long term although most entry positions are only part time. They employee alot of students. All in all a great part time or full time job for entry level positions. Company is also growing quickly so also lots of opportunists for those willing to relocate
Pros
Positive workplace, Free Gym membership
Cons
Management overlap i.e. 1 issue communicated by multiple managers
worst place I've ever worked
Cleaner/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON28 April 2018
The positive reviews on this site was probably from management. Everybody hated working there everything was wrong with that place including pay and being overworked they call you in on your day off and you had to work even if you had an appointment.
Pros
free facilities
Cons
overworked and underpaid
Vibrant and Enjoyable Work Experience
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON20 April 2018
Over the course of the time that I was employed at Movati Athletic, I experienced moments where the business was slow. It was important to be occupied doing something while the business was slow. I would either find myself cleaning or restocking anything that needed restocking. When the business was extremely upbeat and fast pace, I would find myself in a non-stop work mode. It was important for efficient work to be done to ensure the customer was happy. Over the course of my employment, I learned how important customer service is in a very healthy environment such as a gym. It is important to always be positive even at those fast pace moments. The most difficult part of working for Movati Athletic, was probably knowing that the customers were being active and unfortunately I was not. The most enjoyable part of working for Movati Athletic was the wonderful coworkers I had the privilege of working with and learning from.
Do not recommend
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 April 2018
I do not recommend being a supervisor with this company especially in the front desk department. This position does not pay well and most employees are miserable or stressed due to the nasty members (there’s a lot of them trust me) the front desk staff have a general lack of experience and some have bad attitudes even towards management. Other supervisors from other departments are useless and do what ever they please and have no respect for the front desk. Communication is terrible between front desk and the sales department. Half the time we were never informed of new events or promotions then looked stupid when members were inquiring. Looks good on the outside until you get in. For the pay it really isn’t worth it.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Low pay, nasty members, boring, repetitive work
Not as pleasant as it seems
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 February 2018
Your co-workers and the aesthetic of the gym are the only things that will keep you sane. Management tends to put off serious issues till the problem escalates, resulting in outbursts from the members or inspectors - and by then management is quick to rectify the situation by giving the rest of the staff a hard time. Confidentiality is never held sacred, management is quick to divulge sensitive information to staff, and sometimes even to members!

Lots of promises to move up the ladder but that rarely happens unless you're friends with people up there. Hard work is barely recognized and management is quick to point out flaws. Staff training consists of mainly watching presentations that glorify Movati and less about how to do your job correctly/effectively.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Low pay, Terrible management
Looks good on the outside until you start working there...
Member Experience Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 February 2018
On the outside it looks like a fun place to work, which it mostly is thanks to your fellow coworkers. However, upper management is horrendous (head office, GMs, etc). Supervisors are great and try their hardest to make it bearable. The rest of them do not care about their employees at all - do not take feedback, no human empathy, no criticism allowed and do not back their employees up when they're being screamed at at the front desk. It could be a good place to work in the future except for all the idiots at head office. Everyone is married to each other or sleeping together which is how they got their in the first place even if they are completely incompetent.
Pros
free gym membership, fellow coworkers
Cons
Horrible upper management, no growth opportunities, unreasonable salary for front desk employees, favouritism
Has its challenges
Education Specialist and Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 January 2018
I truly enjoy working with the members but find it challenging to deal with many of the supervisors. There dos not seem to be a team environment to this facility and teaching styles are becoming dictated to instructors.
Pros
Members
Cons
Staff turnover/Lack of security is scary
Member Experience Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 January 2018
Members are always mad because they don’t like the club policies. Supervisors will come back you up if you ask for help but sometimes they aren’t available. The policies don’t always make sense, so a good amount of the member anger is justifiable.
A frightening amount of people get fired for no reason. One day they’re working alongside you and doing a good job, and the next day, they’re gone and they don’t even know why. Dedication, proficiency, and work ethic don’t seem to matter when it comes to who they fire either.
Information isn’t always communicated from one department to the next which can cause some issues. Even within departments, one supervisor may tell you something completely different from the next.
The environment is stressful. I feel anxious from the moment I step in the doors to the moment I leave, but at least you don’t have to take work home with you.
Pros
Free membership, discounts on other things
Cons
Toxic environment, no job security
Great staff, bad compensation
Membership Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Nepean, ON23 January 2018
The friends that I have made here are amazing. The job itself could be really fun if it wasn't so heavily micromanaged. The compensation needs to be improved on in relation to how much responsibility there is. Now that minimum wage has increased, you could work part time retail making more money for less stress. The reason many people I know personally and professional have quit this position is because of the amount of stress you have to deal with day in and day out. Like I said, this SHOULD be a really amazing and fun place to work but their need to make everything "5 star" and above and beyond is not reflected in fair coaching and wages and clientele.
Enjoyable, secure job
Playroom associate (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON21 November 2017
Movati has been wonderful to work for for the past year and half. Always inclusive and welcoming. Sense of job security and always ways to help you move up in the company
Movati
Playroom Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON7 November 2017
I worked here for 9 yrs. I enjoyed the challenges of my job everyday. I miss working with my co-workers we were an amazing team. Staff outside of our area were friendly to work with.
Pros
Amazing Co-workers
Cons
Bad communication from some staff
Awful Management
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 November 2017
Got fired "without cause", was given no reason for being terminated. Wasn't trained well at all. Will never go back here, the management including HR was garbage. DO NOT WORK HERE, no future within this company.
Pros
Free Membership
Best Job Ever!
Group Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  London, ON19 October 2017
This is the best job and the best company to work for ever!
You get to choose your hours, your style of teaching, and receive immediate feedback to constantly improve. You are given the freedom to be creative and bring new modes of exercises to the studio. As part of your license contract, you are required to stay up to date on continuing education courses, which is a great way to stay in top mental shape. The facility is gorgeous and has a lot to offer their members.
Pros
Free Gym Membership and Acess to Classes
Cons
Not enough hours
not the best
Overnight Custodian (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 October 2017
very hard to advance get assigned last minute tasks, the pay doesn't equal the amount of work that is expected the raises are very small, 10 cents or up.
Pros
free gym membersip
Custodial / Health and Safety representative (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON25 September 2017
Movati is a great place to work for individuals who enjoy can put in hardwork and enjoy a sense of pride in their accomplishments.

Management is great, and advancement chance are there for those who work hard.
Pros
Too many to count
Cons
Low Pay
Awful Place to work if you love yourself
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 September 2017
Your coworkers are amazing people, however, the employees were always afraid management would come and fire them without cause (so fantastic). You get a free gym membership and save money on shakes and food.

The club manager legitimately harasses you and then when you give your two weeks notice to get out of there brings the HR girl with her to "fire" you even though you've already quit, saying, "you didn't quit, you gave your notice. We're terminating you, you need to sign this".

Multiple people were fired in a week when I was there who actually did a good job.
Constant turn over rate due to terrible management. Some supervisors were really great people. Do not work here.
Pros
Coworkers, the sandwiches taste good
Great work environment
Sales Associate -(Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON12 September 2017
Great Place to work I enjoyed my time at this workplace, very friendly staff and management, very delightful members.
I had a blast working for movati.
Pros
free membership
Cons
late nights
Great co workers/members - Poor management
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 September 2017
If you want to work where you are underappreciated and paid, then this is the place for you.

Management who literally spend the day (most of them) hiding away in their office, don't reply to requests and have zero soft people skills.

Unfortunately most big-box gyms seem to work on this platform. As a CSR/Trainer/Cleaner this is going to be pretty typical for the big well known gyms.
Pros
The occasional lunch/half price coffee or shake
Cons
mostly amazing members/pretty good co workers.
enjoyable atmosphere full of life
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 July 2017
Was a great place to work, never had a dull or boring day unless it was a holiday then no body usually went to work out those days which made it a nice relaxing change.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Movati Athletic. Our community is ready to answer.