Mountain Warehouse Employee Reviews

Good Job but poor management
Sales Associate/Temporary Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Halton Hills, ON30 October 2018
Mountain warehouse gave me my first retail experience and it was really helpful. However, they lack in management and treat employees unfairly. For example, I have done managements job and I don't get paid for it.
Pros
Good benefits such as employee discount
Cons
No job advancements/promotions
Toxic work environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON28 December 2018
I worked for the company for over two years. was full time supervisor for a year before being promoted to assistant manager, even though I was doing the job already and was told by people very high up in the company I would soon be promoted. During my time all of our management staff at store level ( two managers, assistant manager, several supervisors) have quit due to management from above and the incredible stress and miscommunication from the company.
Pros
easy job if you’re not management/supervisor
Cons
Everything.
Great Merchandise, Bad Management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 September 2018
The discounts were great. Coworkers were great. Didn't have a well structured management system. Very unwelcoming towards staff. Would've stayed if management had more of a leadership mentality.
Pros
Discounts.
Cons
No job culture.
Nice coworker
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 November 2018
The place is really with all the coworkers. However if you can't support pressure mountain warehouse is not a place for you because you really need a lot of courage and manage to be polyvalent or you are done.
Pros
nice coworkers, bonus during holidays
Cons
long hours, mean and rude customers
great place to work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC2 August 2018
I enjoyed my time here working as a sales associate. It is a wonderful company to start jump start your retail experience with. I loved the management
Pros
competitive pay
Cons
merchandise variety
retail
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 December 2018
This was my first retail experience, to me i just didn't like the atmosphere of a retail store. If i found it more interesting i would say that mountain warehouse is a fun, an educational place to work. you learn about the different outdoor wear and their benefits.
Great staff. Incompetent manager.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 October 2018
Store manager is all over the place on what is going on, doesn't have good communication or delegation skills. And what was frustrating is he would leave early from his shift and just clock out from his phone when he got home.

Head office has literally no clue what they are doing.

They give you one shirt one pair of pants and shoes to start. Which is nice, but those are the only clothes you're aloud to wear even though the managers say you can wear jeans, and they do wear jeans, but as it turns out you can't thought even if they say you can.

Good staff, great assistant manager, good discount. Terrible/incompetent store manager at SCC
Pros
Discount
Cons
Manager, head office, policies.
Fun place
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC17 September 2018
Working here was good, the co workers and management team were all friendly! The shifts were good mainly consisted of being 5 hours and sometimes 8. The discount here was also good!
Productive with lots of opportunity for advancement
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada14 August 2018
Great place to learn and gain some experience.
Long hours during the busiest time of the year.
Some organization from HO still needed.
Overall good place to work.
Pros
50% off product
Okay temporary job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 September 2018
You show up, go see the manager on duty to get your task for the shift. I didn't learn anything, if you have prior experience in retail this job is very easy.

Cons.

Assistant manager was on a power trip and was rude. She lacked the customer service and was a bad example on how you should deal with customers, calling them liars and not going to check stock instead denying we have more in the back.
Pros
Regular sales staff are cool
Cons
Managers, no sense of direction
Okay place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON10 August 2018
It okay place to work but management above store level sucks. We rarely get what we need and have the out systems down for months on end. We never get supply orders
Pros
Great people
Cons
Horrible management above store level
Great discount
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 August 2018
Mountain warehouse is flexible with hours because they do not have many to give. The 50% discount is great. I would work there again for the discount. People are decent/.
benefits
Cons
pay
Mountain Warehouse
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 December 2018
Typical day of standing around, not doing much. Most of the time we stood around because the store was empty. It was difficult to find things to do during the shift when no customers walked in
Pros
Discount
Cons
Boring Job
Supervisor
Supervisor/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC30 July 2018
Too much focus on ad-dons
Great team to work with
Stores are often full
Constant price list changes
Supportive management
Public transportation nearby
Great
Sales Staff (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC11 January 2019
Great company to work for. Lots of hours and great pay. I enjoyed my time working for them and would given the chance again. However, I am looking for a new home base.
A Great Place to Work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 March 2018
A typical day is just helping out customers and cleaning, unless there are other tasks like stock etc.

You learn stuff as you go. My experiences with management has been pretty good.

Hardest part of the job like most retail is just the customers, and how slow the store can get. There's not a lot of people who know about our store-there isn't really any advertising.

Most enjoyable part of the job is helping the nice customers
Pros
employee discount is pretty good
Cons
No one knows about the store, not always a clear way to do tasks (everyone wants something different)
No Clear Direction
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC23 March 2017
It was a great place to work. Store manager taught me a lot and is very patient. Staff were all friendly. Upper management is where it suffers. They can not decide what they want or need. Sometimes you get two different directions. Starts complaining when things are not done right even though their lack of direction caused it. Human resource team is one of the weakest. No pay raises and no benefits. Some staff have worked for over 2 years and they get no pay raise. They take their staff for granted. Thinking they can be replaced! That is not all they should think.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Weak Upper Management, No Pay Raise, Greedy Company
Terrible, terrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON10 January 2018
Worst company to work for! The higher management treats the employees Very rudely. They make decisions, then when they are incorrect, blame the store for doing things that way.
HR rep is very transparent that they work for the company and are not there to help employees in any way.
In store manager was very nice, but the stress from having to meet targets is passed on to staff on occasion.
Learned how to fold shirts and hang jackets, not much else to learn.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Boring job, upper management are indecisive, Selling low quality goods.
Not the best
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON9 April 2018
Personally did not like working for this company. I enjoyed the workspace and the overall work that needed to be done; management was the part that was harder to deal with.
Cons
boring and short hours during the week
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Halton Hills, ON17 February 2018
the typical day would be going in and starting off tagging product. I did not learn much because the management was terrible and too lazy. I was not even trained for the job. I learnt everything myself.i enjoyed working their during high school and during college for part time. but would not recommend for full time because they change you to part time.
Pros
Cons
short hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mountain Warehouse. Our community is ready to answer.