Mount Royal University

Mount Royal University Employee Reviews

With the current government cutbacks and covid 19 the future delivery of classes is uncertain. Job security for support staff, contract personnel, is very uncertain.
MRU has a very toxic culture and it is very hierarchical. Every Feb-April prepare for cuts and hope your job isn't impacted. The good news is that cuts are never actual business decisions and are personality based. Usually it is the employees that speak up. A lot of people run around with titles and are experts in everything based on their title, but truthfully they know little else.The toxic culture starts at the top and flows down.MRU lacks any real processes and it is very much a juvenile organization with constant politicking and empire building.
Pros
Free gym, some really good people
Cons
poor management and constant cuts
It was good a work environment in my group. I do question senior leaderships decisions when going into a tough budget time they were adding more executive positions that have no counter part at other post secondaries. How did they expect to pay for them except lay offs?
Great atmosphere with lots of long standing employees passionate about the work they do. Negatives are limited opportunity for advancement and lack of flexibility for working hours (staff are unionized).
Mount Royal is a great school if you value quality connections with your peers and your professors. It is very easy to get around and if you live on campus there is endless fun to be had with their recreation facilities.
8:30 - 4:30 with one-hour lunchtime, slow pace
Must be political correct

Management has meetings all the time. They don't micromanage you.

The hardest part of the job is to keep yourself busy at work.

The most enjoyable part of the job is stress-free.
Friendly environment and people. You do seven hours a day with a lunch break of one hour. Additional tea break for one hour is given. The support from colleagues is amazing.
Not a fun workplace as some management do not appear to care about their employees. Many staff have experienced back-stabbing and basic denial from fellow staff and management.
As a contractor I have no benefits but as long as I am consistent and effective in my delivery of contract work, I've been able to keep my work with MRU. They are loyal to good workers.

I have been able to contribute to curriculum changes and am heard when I have concerns or ideas.
MRU is a good university that acts on inclusion and diversity. I enjoy teaching at this university. The work place culture celebrates diversity and is open to dialogue and co-constructive learning and teaching practices.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Mount Royal University?
I have started working here very recently, so I can't make a long review now. In the coming months, I will have more experience to talk about the environment at the workplace.
staff are really nice and friendly.
Clean and descent environment

easy to access amenities

wonderful lunch/cafeteria hall

fully working infrastructures
The team of professionals at MRU are patient and willing to assist at any cost. The work environment is one of inclusiveness and allows newcomers to feel welcomed, and everyone is willing to collaborate and build each other up.
Pros
the flexible hours
Cons
timing
Good employers look after you but in the long run might not be a good company to work for. But the people you work with are nice and kind and they are there to chat with you.
The experience of working as a research assistant will be largely dependent on who supervises the research. I had an amazing time, and was able to travel to and present at conferences internationally.
Pros
Travel opportunities.
Cons
Low wages.
As an "adolescent" (organizational metaphor) university it has its moments, but overall is growing and becoming more traditioned and stable. Alberta government cuts are limiting its potential.
Really enjoy every day here and feel as though I am appreciated and grow day in and day out. There's a lot of reasons to enjoy going to work but it is nice that they have so many great people to be around.
By far the best school, best quality friendliest Professors and Students that I have studied with yet so far. Just a fantastic student and staff body to work with. My favorite quote "Gave Us Brains to Use". Amazing Professional top grade suppliers throughout the food court. Excellent compensation and a World of opportunities moving forwards.
Good place to gain some excellent work experience and make some extra money between semesters. If you live close by walking is great. Lots of transit to the university.
I worked in a number of departments and some were great, some not so good. It all depended on the manager. Unfortunately, Academics do not make good managers.
Pros
Good prices on courses
Cons
Bullying is rife
Higher administration at the level of provost, school deans, etc is unstable and always changing. Poor communications with top down micro-management style that makes it very stressful to work here. You also have to be very careful about what you say and do around here, and people get labeled a lot. Management style is bureaucratic and inefficient, any suggestion of change will not be entertained.
Pros
pay
Cons
inefficient managment, job instability, toxic work environment