Mount Royal University
Mount Royal University Employee Review

Wonderful place to work, except for government cutbacks forcing support staff to have their jobs abolished.

8 June 2020
With the current government cutbacks and covid 19 the future delivery of classes is uncertain. Job security for support staff, contract personnel, is very uncertain.
9 October 2018
Same roleSame location
Coordinator (Former Employee) - Calgary, AB
My manager refused to give me measurable outcome expectations so I could meet expectations. I did not receive anywhere near the support I would required to be successful in the role. I was expected to give up my password and account information which breached their own security policy but managers and department act separate from university policies without repercussion. I was told that security policy only applies when you’re sitting at your desk. Bully and pack mentality within management. Felt like an abusive relationship. You never knew when you were going to get in trouble. They would ask you what you thought and then get mad at you if it was different from their opinion even when based on fact. Management even demand employees give up their unpaid lunch hour to tell them how their boss could give them more autonomy! (Taking an unpaid lunch away is not a good start). But they will just punish you later for sharing your opinion. Worst employer I’ve ever had. Make sure the department you work for it’s going to be good before you quit your current job. Some departments seem way better than others. Do your homework. The union is useless.
Pros
Access to campus resources
Cons
No accountability. Departments play by own rules. Toxic culture.
20 December 2017
Same roleSame location
Coordinator (Former Employee) - Calgary, AB
My day consisted of administration and coordination. The management was new and poor communication skills. The culture wasn't pleasant. The hardest part of the job was asking for more opportunities but nothing was offered. I liked some of my colleagues.
Pros
One hour lunch
Cons
Terrible leadership
20 July 2020
Same location
Manager (Current Employee) - Calgary, AB
MRU has a very toxic culture and it is very hierarchical. Every Feb-April prepare for cuts and hope your job isn't impacted. The good news is that cuts are never actual business decisions and are personality based. Usually it is the employees that speak up. A lot of people run around with titles and are experts in everything based on their title, but truthfully they know little else.The toxic culture starts at the top and flows down.MRU lacks any real processes and it is very much a juvenile organization with constant politicking and empire building.
Pros
Free gym, some really good people
Cons
poor management and constant cuts