Mount Royal University Employee Review
Wonderful place to work, except for government cutbacks forcing support staff to have their jobs abolished.
My manager refused to give me measurable outcome expectations so I could meet expectations. I did not receive anywhere near the support I would required to be successful in the role. I was expected to give up my password and account information which breached their own security policy but managers and department act separate from university policies without repercussion. I was told that security policy only applies when you’re sitting at your desk. Bully and pack mentality within management. Felt like an abusive relationship. You never knew when you were going to get in trouble. They would ask you what you thought and then get mad at you if it was different from their opinion even when based on fact. Management even demand employees give up their unpaid lunch hour to tell them how their boss could give them more autonomy! (Taking an unpaid lunch away is not a good start). But they will just punish you later for sharing your opinion. Worst employer I’ve ever had. Make sure the department you work for it’s going to be good before you quit your current job. Some departments seem way better than others. Do your homework. The union is useless.
Access to campus resources
No accountability. Departments play by own rules. Toxic culture.
My day consisted of administration and coordination. The management was new and poor communication skills. The culture wasn't pleasant. The hardest part of the job was asking for more opportunities but nothing was offered. I liked some of my colleagues.
One hour lunch
MRU has a very toxic culture and it is very hierarchical. Every Feb-April prepare for cuts and hope your job isn't impacted. The good news is that cuts are never actual business decisions and are personality based. Usually it is the employees that speak up. A lot of people run around with titles and are experts in everything based on their title, but truthfully they know little else.The toxic culture starts at the top and flows down.MRU lacks any real processes and it is very much a juvenile organization with constant politicking and empire building.
Free gym, some really good people
poor management and constant cuts
Want to know more about working here?
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mount Royal University. Our community is ready to answer.
Based on 82 reviews
Ratings by category
Questions about Mount Royal University
- What is the work environment and culture like at Mount Royal University?5 people answered
- What is Mount Royal University sick leave policy? How many sick days do you get per year?2 people answered
- How did you get your first interview at Mount Royal University?2 people answered
- Can you work remotely at Mount Royal University?2 people answered
- Why would you want to work at Mount Royal University?2 people answered
- What does it cost for staff parking passes?2 people answered
- What are the perks offered by Mount Royal University?2 people answered
- How do you feel about the future of Mount Royal University?One person answered
- What is the vacation policy like at Mount Royal University? How many vacation days do you get per ye…One person answered
- How should you prepare for an interview at Mount Royal University?One person answered
See all questions and answers
Mount Royal University Reviews by Job Title