Mount Royal University Employee Reviews

Progressive and Professional
Manager Process and Projects (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 January 2018
Mount Royal U strives to apply professional practices in an institutional setting. Great people, diligent. Internal goal is to deliver IT related services at a level above peer institutions.
teaching small groups of studnets
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 January 2018
It was great to help students learn how to learn to become kind towards others.
I enjoyed marking papers and entering marks in the computer.
People are friendly. Students were mature. Students were passionate about the subject matter. The attendance looked great every day.
Pros
Shared an office
Cons
The distance between from my house and MRU
Poor leadership
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 December 2017
My day consisted of administration and coordination. The management was new and poor communication skills. The culture wasn't pleasant. The hardest part of the job was asking for more opportunities but nothing was offered. I liked some of my colleagues.
Pros
One hour lunch
Cons
Terrible leadership
A good program
Business Analysis Instructor (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 December 2017
The business analysis program at Mount Royal is excellent and I was pleased to participate as both a student and as an instructor. Great facilities, excellent instructors, solid learning materials.
MRU fund
Event Liaison/Admin Asst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 October 2017
Excellent place to work on a smaller university. Job competition is tough but once you settle into a position you'll like it for sure. MRU is coming to a time where some do question job security but still its a great place to work.
Pros
small and friendly
Cons
no Union
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta19 October 2017
Enjoyed interaction with students. Enjoyed BlackBoard and other interactive tools. Offered small and personalized class sizes. Academic staff very approachable.
Pros
Gym
Cons
Parking
Great Place
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 October 2017
 Promotion of a positive Residence Life experience;
 Planning and facilitating programs for the residence community in accordance with the programming
requirements described in the Residence Life Programming Model;
 Supervision of an assigned residence community and the mentoring and management of residents’ personal
safety and well-being;
 The management and enforcement of community standards;
 Assisting and referring students in academic, social, personal and disciplinary matters to the appropriate
Residence Services and/or University resources;
work environment is fun and friendly.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 September 2017
Every morning you came to office and get a list of units that has to clean. You find your team and get prepared and work!

Sometimes is hard sometimes is easy.
Too many management changes.
Finance and Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 September 2017
The first 10 years were very good.
Culture decreased with each change of management.
No advancement or job security.
Moral decreased in the last 4 years. Budget variances were very large and unexplained thus creating job losses through restructuring.
Management at Vice President and Director positions lack the appropriate leadership and people skills.
Pros
Use of Gym with employment
Cons
too many management changes.
Mount Royal University
Cashier Work (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 August 2017
A typical day is making food and serving customers. The management was not well put together. I didn't get proper training. The hardest part of the job for me was communicating with my supervisor.
Just a Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 August 2017
The ratings I provided are only that of my time as a volunteer. So although I'm sure that the Job Culture is good and the Advancement opportunities are strong, I can't properly rate those qualities. What I can say is that the organizations I have been a part of since my start at MRU have all been very respectful of me and the rest of those in the groups.
Great student position
START Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 August 2017
Flexible hours assisting students with technology used at MRU.
Time included working at IT Help Desk, Library, and START drop-in and call center.
Staff were friendly and very helpful to each other. Great working and development culture
Pros
Student hours flexible
Cons
Only hours during semesters
Huge Learning Opportunity While Fostering Student Success
Language Tutor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 July 2017
Mount Royal's Language Tutoring position is run through Student Learning Services on campus. First a tutor would attend the training at the beginning of each semester. Then, the tutor is paired with students that need help in the subject that the tutor has requested. When the students are matched they organize a first meeting and discuss the preliminary steps of tutoring such as expectations, scheduling and goals. Then the students meet at pre scheduled times for at least 1 hour per week at a maximum of 2. Each time the tutor would sign in and conduct the session. The hardest part of the job would be working with different personality types and learning styles different from your own. To be successful at this job you must be able to adapt. The hardest part of the job can be the time commitment as well as the students' willingness to learn. If the student isn't succeeding in the course even with the tutoring it can be difficult. Finally the reliability of the job is not really enough to constitute it as a part time position. It should be treated as a contract position. The management team is great a lot of openness and room for feedback from students. Although, the continual changes from year to year will keep you on your toes.
Pros
Excellent Training, Staff parties, Student recognition
Cons
Now Volunteer, Long training days
Great place to work out at the gym and work with nice people.
INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 May 2017
Great work-life balance. Some busy times but flexible work schedules. The gym is a fantastic. There's a kids daycare right on campus which many seem to enjoy.
Committed to its employees
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 May 2017
Mount Royal University is a great place to work, the university allows you to advance, encourages you to volunteer within and outside of the university. An employee can take a course and apply to have the money reimbursed.
Pros
Refundable courses
Dynamic place in where you help people
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 May 2017
Very nice work environment. Interactive helping students with their educational needs. Management is very friendly and peers are very good. Workshops were done frequently
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 March 2017
Loved my short stint at MRU and found the place very productive and learnt a lot.

Excellent gym facility and also had a very supportive and technically competent team leader
Excellent place to learn, professors care about your education
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 March 2017
Besides excellent professors and courses, there are plenty of opportunities for individuals to engage with student life on campus ranging from varsity sports, to club events, to activities on Main Street.
foster a safe and open-minded academic learning environment
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 March 2017
I specialize in first year accounting and high school mathematics. This job developed my presentation, verbal, and time management skills which will be transferable to future careers.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
Unattractive salary/benefit
Great
Assistant Project Researcher (Part-time, Contract) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 February 2017
Helped out a professor during my college years. Great pay, communication and opportunity.

I would recommend this employer