Mount Royal University Employee Reviews

Not really busy.
Housekeeper/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 January 2019
Not as hard job.
Some are nasty job do people's food left out.
doing laundry and folding the sheets, pillowcase, towels etc.
Cleaning the students dorms
Pros
own bring lunch
Cons
Slow day
Easy money in a toxic environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2018
Easy job that pays well, lots of meetings, big management, poor leadership. You need to be very careful about what you say. Don't question. Kiss up to your boss and you will do well. If you are young and ambitious, this is not a place for you.
Pros
good pay
Cons
poor leadership, toxic environment
In theory, a great place to work. In reality, toxic culture
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 October 2018
My manager refused to give me measurable outcome expectations so I could meet expectations. I did not receive anywhere near the support I would required to be successful in the role. I was expected to give up my password and account information which breached their own security policy but managers and department act separate from university policies without repercussion. I was told that security policy only applies when you’re sitting at your desk. Bully and pack mentality within management. Felt like an abusive relationship. You never knew when you were going to get in trouble. They would ask you what you thought and then get mad at you if it was different from their opinion even when based on fact. Management even demand employees give up their unpaid lunch hour to tell them how their boss could give them more autonomy! (Taking an unpaid lunch away is not a good start). But they will just punish you later for sharing your opinion. Worst employer I’ve ever had. Make sure the department you work for it’s going to be good before you quit your current job. Some departments seem way better than others. Do your homework. The union is useless.
Pros
Access to campus resources
Cons
No accountability. Departments play by own rules. Toxic culture.
Terrible place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 October 2018
The environment is toxic in a way, there is too many favoritism going on. Not a good place to apply nor try to work.
A bit higher compensation may look attractive; however, management would just take their hands off things and just trust the employees to do the jobs they are already good at. You are just on your own.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
poor leadership, too many meetings
Approachable colleagues, laid-back work environment, and great work-life balance
Supply Chain Services Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 September 2018
I was the SCS Co-ordinator one summer (a Summer Temporary Employment Program position), and I really enjoyed learning accounts payable and procurement functions in one position. Everyone in the office was very welcoming and willing to help me learn, so I learned a LOT in my 3.5-month term! The work environment is also very informal, and colleagues are not in too much of a rush to talk to you about other things while working. I also worked only 35 hours a week, and there was no weekend work. As a Mount Royal staff member, I also part-took in 5 lunches and BBQ parties.
Pros
Lunches and BBQ parties during the summer
Cons
Banner Finance, the system used at MRU, is easy-to-use but very finicky
In my opinion the best Higher Education establishment in Alberta
Business School Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 August 2018
Everything with Mount Royal is well planned, organized and executed. They treat their staff with respect - whether contract or permanent and the programs they offer really do align with business needs and requirements
Fun and Lighthearted workplace environment and culture
MRU Accessibility Services Exam Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 July 2018
I escorted university students throughout the MRU campus to their final exams. It was a great job to have as you learn how to interact with students your age who show a variety of emotions during examination periods. Also all of the employees that I worked with were all smiling and happy people. The most enjoyable part about the job is that it was allowed me as a student to earn money during the school year and also get some experience in this type of job to help strengthen my resume.
Pros
Low learning curve
Cons
very early or very late shifts
Great work environment
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 July 2018
Great work environment, supportive colleagues and general sense of camaraderie. Top notch and relevant facilities. Small and manageable class sizes which facilitates great teaching and learning environment.
Very laid-back
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 June 2018
Flexible hours and very laid-back work environment, good pay and good benefits. Poor leadership, bad communication, colleagues go for coffee/walk anytime they want. Sometimes hard to get a hold with people. No job security as change or reorganization happens all the time.
Pros
Flexible hours, good pay and benefits
Cons
Poor leadership, no job security, lots of slackers around
really good place to work
Student Technicians and Resources Tutors (START) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 March 2018
A good place to work learned a lot and lots of support from staff and bosses.
flexible hours.
great opportunity to learn and grow various skills such as customer service and technical support.
Progressive and Professional
Manager Process and Projects (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 January 2018
Mount Royal U strives to apply professional practices in an institutional setting. Great people, diligent. Internal goal is to deliver IT related services at a level above peer institutions.
teaching small groups of studnets
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 January 2018
It was great to help students learn how to learn to become kind towards others.
I enjoyed marking papers and entering marks in the computer.
People are friendly. Students were mature. Students were passionate about the subject matter. The attendance looked great every day.
Pros
Shared an office
Cons
The distance between from my house and MRU
Poor leadership
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 December 2017
My day consisted of administration and coordination. The management was new and poor communication skills. The culture wasn't pleasant. The hardest part of the job was asking for more opportunities but nothing was offered. I liked some of my colleagues.
Pros
One hour lunch
Cons
Terrible leadership
A good program
Business Analysis Instructor (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 December 2017
The business analysis program at Mount Royal is excellent and I was pleased to participate as both a student and as an instructor. Great facilities, excellent instructors, solid learning materials.
MRU fund
Event Liaison/Admin Asst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 October 2017
Excellent place to work on a smaller university. Job competition is tough but once you settle into a position you'll like it for sure. MRU is coming to a time where some do question job security but still its a great place to work.
Pros
small and friendly
Cons
no Union
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta19 October 2017
Enjoyed interaction with students. Enjoyed BlackBoard and other interactive tools. Offered small and personalized class sizes. Academic staff very approachable.
Pros
Gym
Cons
Parking
Great Place
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 October 2017
 Promotion of a positive Residence Life experience;
 Planning and facilitating programs for the residence community in accordance with the programming
requirements described in the Residence Life Programming Model;
 Supervision of an assigned residence community and the mentoring and management of residents’ personal
safety and well-being;
 The management and enforcement of community standards;
 Assisting and referring students in academic, social, personal and disciplinary matters to the appropriate
Residence Services and/or University resources;
work environment is fun and friendly.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 September 2017
Every morning you came to office and get a list of units that has to clean. You find your team and get prepared and work!

Sometimes is hard sometimes is easy.
Too many management changes.
Finance and Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 September 2017
The first 10 years were very good.
Culture decreased with each change of management.
No advancement or job security.
Moral decreased in the last 4 years. Budget variances were very large and unexplained thus creating job losses through restructuring.
Management at Vice President and Director positions lack the appropriate leadership and people skills.
Pros
Use of Gym with employment
Cons
too many management changes.
Mount Royal University
Cashier Work (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 August 2017
A typical day is making food and serving customers. The management was not well put together. I didn't get proper training. The hardest part of the job for me was communicating with my supervisor.