Mount Allison University

Mount Allison University Employee Reviews

Really enjoyed working at a small town university. Strong connections with a variety of athletes. Despite working on a 4 month contract, I would highly recommend this job to a newly certified athletic therapist. Worked with Football, Hockey, Basketball, and Volleyball.
My two bosses - my immediate and my boss's boss - differed in opinion as to what they wanted me to do. It was frustrating and I always felt betwixt and between. Much of my work felt futile because it was often never used - research done but never what "someone wanted". Knowledge was hoarded, too, which is a challenge when one is working in a knowledge-based department. I always felt that I was "below the pay grade" when it came to attending meetings of being asked for input. Apparently, I knew nothing and there was no interest in trying new nthings.
Management only caters to gifted students. Students with learning disabilities get swept under the mat. They do not protect their students. Do not care when their students fet assaulted Only their image.
Mount Allison University has been ranked the number one undergratuate University in Canada for many years by the MacLean's Magazine. It is renowned for excellency in teaching, research and providing research opportunities and internships for its students. Our work time is spent between teaching, course preparation, providing guidance to students and administrative tasks. Work life balance tends to tip toward work more than life. The most rewarding part of it is seeing students acquire skills and using them ever more securely.
Mount Allison University is a good place to work. It could be better, there are some major areas in their management structure, their physical plant (buildings, access, technical areas), and their culture that need work, but overall a good employer. My job is pretty secure, I have a normal 8:30-4:30 M-F routine, it is a school after all. There are few evenings and weekends that I need to work but I'm given a great deal of notice as to when or if that is required of me. This is my first public-sector, big-company type job, all my other jobs were with smaller businesses (75 or fewer employees), so adjusting to the bureaucracy and the positioning and everything that comes with, definitely a steep learning curve for me and the least enjoyable part. The best part has to be the student-focused mindset of the people who work here. At the end of the day we are trying to help and teach young people, and we all work very hard toward that common goal.
It was a great way to learn and test the knowledge of what i learned in college. I had lots of support from my coworkers, and managers.i most enjoyed working with the fellow students, and creating long lasting friendships.
Temporary work for students is easy to find! I was able to have several jobs while attending Mount Allison University, all of which were readily advertised.
A good place to work, opportunity to become part of the union and move around to other positions. Enjoyed working with the students. Lots of support around if you need it.
Really good experience. You get to learn more about leadership and organization. Would recommend getting a job as a TA.
Learned how to review academic journals and summarize various reports pertaining to the research topic. Eventually published in public journal and helped inform policy changes.
I mostly tutored for the MTA football team, so my exposure was limited, but I had a great time doing it. I studied commerce and economics and tutored on related subjects. I absolutely recommend this school.
It's very left here which is really nice. Liberal arts focus means most of the students have the critical thinking kit, but that's not always the case. People are pretty into art and stuff.
Very supportive work environment, supportive coworkers and management. Excellent workplace training provided, as well as fair scheduling. Typical duties of a bar environment
Multiple changes in management, more concerned about optics than providing good quality services to students. Top heavy when emphasis should be on front line services.
Pros
Good Academics and Faculty
Cons
Poor Management, Secretive culture, Lack of Transparency
Wonderful experience as an undergraduate researcher and student, great staff, great environment and overall great education quality. Able to perform research early in academic career
This job was an amazing opportunity to but theory into action and use what I learned during class time and how it applies to the real world. This job also provided hands on learning experience and allowed me to make suggestions, many of which were used at later times either in the online platforms or in the newsletters.
**These jobs are volunteer based. No salary or compensation. Though, this job allows me to be more involved in the community and offers opportunities to speak at events, lectures, and add to my overall hands-on work experience.
Instructing students on proper experimental procedures and techniques. Assisted in supervising students while writing exams and helped with marking of lab reports. Overall a very enjoyable place to work.
This is a good student job with minimal hours. It requires attending many of the events on campus, and is a good opportunity to get more involved in university life. There are inside opportunities for photography contests. It's great to be able to work as a team with other students who are interested in photography.
Pros
interesting events
Cons
minimal pay
On the scale of 1 to 5, I will rate 4.5 to my experience at MtA. Following contributed to my above rating: Excellent faculty/student ratio Offers excellent platform for both teaching and research Conducive work environment Supportive management structure Clear SOP's for the understanding of academic/administrative processes
Pros
Flexible work environment, very supportive colleagues
Cons
Salary structure is on the low side
-a typical day at work, you would start lab with the participating students, while they worked through the material given for that day you answered any questions that they may have. -What I learned most is to be prepared for any question that means throughly knowing the material before entering the lab. - management was great, there was a head lab instructor whom gave you a hand if you were stuck on something. -co-workers were other students or the professor -
Pros
it was a learning opportunitiy
Cons
it was impossible to know everything