Mount Allison University

Mount Allison University Employee Reviews

Canada36 reviews
Fun and fast-paced work environment with variety of different teams
Really enjoyed working at a small town university. Strong connections with a variety of athletes. Despite working on a 4 month contract, I would highly recommend this job to a newly certified athletic therapist. Worked with Football, Hockey, Basketball, and Volleyball.
I saw no opportunity for advancement in my job.
My two bosses - my immediate and my boss's boss - differed in opinion as to what they wanted me to do. It was frustrating and I always felt betwixt and between. Much of my work felt futile because it was often never used - research done but never what "someone wanted". Knowledge was hoarded, too, which is a challenge when one is working in a knowledge-based department. I always felt that I was "below the pay grade" when it came to attending meetings of being asked for input. Apparently, I knew nothing and there was no interest in trying new nthings.
only cares about money. Not student satisfaction.
Management only caters to gifted students. Students with learning disabilities get swept under the mat. They do not protect their students. Do not care when their students fet assaulted Only their image.
Academic Workplace
Mount Allison University has been ranked the number one undergratuate University in Canada for many years by the MacLean's Magazine. It is renowned for excellency in teaching, research and providing research opportunities and internships for its students.

Our work time is spent between teaching, course preparation, providing guidance to students and administrative tasks.

Work life balance tends to tip toward work more than life. The most rewarding part of it is seeing students acquire skills and using them ever more securely.
Good place, great community, can be better
Mount Allison University is a good place to work. It could be better, there are some major areas in their management structure, their physical plant (buildings, access, technical areas), and their culture that need work, but overall a good employer. My job is pretty secure, I have a normal 8:30-4:30 M-F routine, it is a school after all. There are few evenings and weekends that I need to work but I'm given a great deal of notice as to when or if that is required of me. This is my first public-sector, big-company type job, all my other jobs were with smaller businesses (75 or fewer employees), so adjusting to the bureaucracy and the positioning and everything that comes with, definitely a steep learning curve for me and the least enjoyable part. The best part has to be the student-focused mindset of the people who work here. At the end of the day we are trying to help and teach young people, and we all work very hard toward that common goal.
Great Learning experience.
It was a great way to learn and test the knowledge of what i learned in college. I had lots of support from my coworkers, and managers.i most enjoyed working with the fellow students, and creating long lasting friendships.
student employee
Temporary work for students is easy to find! I was able to have several jobs while attending Mount Allison University, all of which were readily advertised.
A positive working environment
A good place to work, opportunity to become part of the union and move around to other positions. Enjoyed working with the students. Lots of support around if you need it.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Mount Allison University?
Good experience
Really good experience. You get to learn more about leadership and organization. Would recommend getting a job as a TA.
Great opportunity for Students
Learned how to review academic journals and summarize various reports pertaining to the research topic. Eventually published in public journal and helped inform policy changes.
Great school, great opportunities
I mostly tutored for the MTA football team, so my exposure was limited, but I had a great time doing it.
I studied commerce and economics and tutored on related subjects.

I absolutely recommend this school.
It's an okay school
It's very left here which is really nice. Liberal arts focus means most of the students have the critical thinking kit, but that's not always the case. People are pretty into art and stuff.
Excellent work environment
Very supportive work environment, supportive coworkers and management. Excellent workplace training provided, as well as fair scheduling. Typical duties of a bar environment
Poor, inconsistent Management
Multiple changes in management, more concerned about optics than providing good quality services to students. Top heavy when emphasis should be on front line services.
Pros
Good Academics and Faculty
Cons
Poor Management, Secretive culture, Lack of Transparency
Fantastic Undergraduate Experience
Wonderful experience as an undergraduate researcher and student, great staff, great environment and overall great education quality. Able to perform research early in academic career
Great Learning Experience
This job was an amazing opportunity to but theory into action and use what I learned during class time and how it applies to the real world. This job also provided hands on learning experience and allowed me to make suggestions, many of which were used at later times either in the online platforms or in the newsletters.
Advances work ethic and attitudes
**These jobs are volunteer based. No salary or compensation. Though, this job allows me to be more involved in the community and offers opportunities to speak at events, lectures, and add to my overall hands-on work experience.
Easy Going and Enjoyable Experience
Instructing students on proper experimental procedures and techniques. Assisted in supervising students while writing exams and helped with marking of lab reports. Overall a very enjoyable place to work.
A great start for experiencing laboratory work and obtaining an exceptional work ethic. The work was fast paced and meticulous, and improved me overall as both an independent worker and one who works as a team.
Good Student Job
This is a good student job with minimal hours. It requires attending many of the events on campus, and is a good opportunity to get more involved in university life. There are inside opportunities for photography contests. It's great to be able to work as a team with other students who are interested in photography.
Pros
interesting events
Cons
minimal pay
Overall conducive work environment, excellent infrastructure for both teaching and research.
On the scale of 1 to 5, I will rate 4.5 to my experience at MtA. Following contributed to my above rating:

Excellent faculty/student ratio

Offers excellent platform for both teaching and research

Conducive work environment

Supportive management structure

Clear SOP's for the understanding of academic/administrative processes
Pros
Flexible work environment, very supportive colleagues
Cons
Salary structure is on the low side
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mount Allison University. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3