Motor Coach Industries

Motor Coach Industries Employee Reviews

Canada26 reviews
Good job but depends what your position is
Pretty good environment.
If you like working with tools it’s pretty easy.

Overwhelming amount of Filipino people there for some reason. I was the only white guy quite often and couldn’t understand anybody, wasn’t really a big deal to me personally but annoying at times.
Fair
Its a good company to work and study as well/ If anybody has good intention to learn and work. This is the best place for that/ senior staff is always helpful.
Leading edge of industry
Fast paced work environment with waves of work pace up and down. pace depends on products sold and how much demand there are for the products. Management depends on the manager.
Very partial place.
They made me do two shift work in one shift,just because I wanted to play badminton in the evening, everybody built one file tank in a shift but I had to build 2 in one shift .I have done industrial ,supervision at red river comunity college but people I trained were promoted ,to be promoted you have to be related to higher ups and u don't have to know nothing.
Time goes fast while working there
Good workplace to start, shift work, all cultures seen here, which is great.You get to learn on a lot of machines, also cross training if you ask for it, many different departments skills of work.
Its a busy environment fast pace
Always part shortages bad inventory and ordering and all the new younger hires are getting the easy jobs while the other employees are doing all the fast pace and physically demanding work
Good Stable place to work
I spend 18 years doing production welding. there is a fair amount of room for advancement should a person be a little aggressive and wanting to move ahead, they do have several skilled trade positions and a lot of general labor as well.
Behind the times
I had worked in the office as a technical writer and would see how they treated their employees on the shop floor (not very good). Office and shop floor showed favoritism. This company had spies on the shop floor ratting out their fellow workers to management (saw this first hand). Once saw a manager walk into the washroom and starting pounding on the bathroom door yelling to the employee " why are you taking so long in there"? I did however, make some good friends from the shop floor. I wouldn't recommend working here.
Pros
Free X-mas lunch
Cons
To much to list.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Motor Coach Industries?
Great production staff, terrible management
This is a company where "tribal knowledge" will render your education useless. A lot of company veterans in charge making decisions and creating a poisonous work environment. Politics run this place, so follow orders blindly and be your boss's pet, or find another place to work.
The product is poorly designed but the skills and the expertise on the shop floor will save the day. Production personnel is some of the kindest and hardest working I have met. They are unionized and yes they are treated better.

Location is great if you live in the city, and work hours are decent. Summer and Winter shutdowns every year, so even if you have 2 weeks vacation to start, bank for 4 or 5.
Pros
Hours and location
Cons
Management and politics
Horribly Managed and not a fun place to work
This place is good for you if you want to work somewhere that will fire you for no reason at all. I worked there for three months as a welder, never missed, got all my work done and some, and was always kind and friendly. I was let go and they wouldn't give a reason why. they are a shady company and dont care about the employees very much. I do NOT recommend you working here, unless of course you want to get fired for doing a good job.
Pros
welding salary, co workers
Cons
Management, Job security, Just about everything else
Welding departments
Myself and others in my department were hired as aluminum TIG welders but we all did SS MIG welding on jigs. The aluminum department they claim to be hiring for consists of about 5 percent of all the welding they do. Don't expect to do aluminum welding until your seniority is high enough to transfer to such a cushioned work environment. My team leader showed zero initiative and was appointed by the super intendant who had decades of experience in the spineless art of micro-management.
If you decide to work here they will try to save money by making you wear a respirator instead of showing a shred of humanity by making your job more comfortable. No worries, when they give you a suction test to find your respirator size, you can secretly let out tiny bits of air from your mouth to trick the system into thinking it's leaking from where the respirator contacts your face. If they can't find a respirator size that fits than they have to give you a supplied air helmet. You're welcome.
Pros
Supplied air helmets, good coworkers
Cons
bad management
Hard working people, great product
The market demand, the competition, also the Government constant changing of safety and environmental regulations, make the bus manufacturing a very hard to manage industry. The competency at high levels and engineering is not always there, the time is never enough to properly finalize designs and many overlapped projects, the people are overworked and asked to "put out fires" for last minute deliveries, quality of purchased or manufactured parts goes hand in hand with the time and money allotted for procurement. Despite all negative aspects, the final product "looks" great....but at what real cost...see who is actually smiling in that place...maybe the ones that don't care and they are not too many...
good workplace to start & get to know all cultures & friends to be had here
Good workplace to start, shift work, all cultures seen here, which is great.U get to learn on a lot of machines, also cross training if u ask for it, many different departments w/skills of work.
Pros
vacation times & a few free lunches
Cons
standing @ the machines for most part
Not All Are Equal
Depending on the department you work in will decide how you are treated by the company.

Unionized employees are treated far better than the non-union staff, and even then it isn't always that good. Like anyplace else some managers and supervisors respect and care for the staff under them, while others are great at yelling and throwing blame around.

The pay for non-union staff, in most departments, is well below industry standards in the city. They expect you to put in long hours of overtime and then fight you on paying the overtime. Your manager insists you work while HR insists you don't. Add to the fun is when your manager is in the US and expects you to follow Kentucky labour laws and tries to ignore Canadian and Manitoban laws for hours and work environment.
Repetitive work
Good place to work good benefits. Get free lunches when there is no missing parts or welds. Good atmosphere with coworkers. Good hours. Over time is considered as over time if you don't hit your 80 hours every 2 weeks
Pros
Free lunch once in a while
Cons
Far place to work
Good company
Good place to learn lean, and was starting 5s again. I enjoyed the start time of 6:00 am to 2:30. Would take a job there again.
Pros
good start time
Cons
busy days
Nice to workplace.
Busy workplace.
Every coach order are different,

Management provide training for the employer.

Co-worker are friendly and helpful.

I enjoy new project.
Pros
Environment is always clean.
Cons
Coach order are not consistent
Its a very good and everyone is fun to workwith enjoing mourning coffe before we start the day to work
Before start of the days we have some jokes of the day fun to loosen up our brain for another battle..means work.And week or so have safety meting with the boss.Most enjoyable part what you have accomplish that day.
Pros
yes sometimes we have some free dunots compliments of the boss.
Cons
If we have breakdowns in the line you have it done no matter what.
Decent wage and benefits
Very stressful work environment, co-workers are awesome. Poor management and air quality is very poor, a lot of exposure to highly toxic chemicals and fumes. Management shows a lot of favoritism. Provide training where needed.
Good salary but high stress
An established company with a big-company attitude, but mid-to-lower company sales & practices. They pay well, but it is fast-paced, cut-throat, and stressful. Frequent ownership changes in the past twenty years have led to poor fiscal management, departmental animosity, infighting, and a general lack of strategic direction. Like GM, it has rested on its successes of 25+ years ago, only to watch the competition catch up and overtake it. There are applaudable changes underway, but until the staff has confidence that the leaders are interested in the company's long-term outlook, the culture will continue to resist.
Pros
Higher than market salary
Cons
Rapid ownership changes, lack of strategic direction
Enjoyable work place
I enjoyed working in the Assembly Department assembling many different kinds of Baggage Doors which each one had it's own specifications and materials. The job atmosphere/environment, people, fellow workers, work place safety standards and their Health Care Benefits etc was number one. Had great lunch room(s), washrooms and lockers. I also liked their hours of operation too.
Unfortunately contracts only last a few months at a time. You may not be called back for weeks/months later.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Motor Coach Industries. Our community is ready to answer.
2.5