Montana's BBQ & Bar Employee Reviews

Like a family
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON11 March 2019
Worked there for years and felt so at home at that restaurant. The management was amazing, the staff is awesome and each shift went by so quickly because of who I was working with. Never a dull moment at that place
Great first jon
Hostess, Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan7 March 2019
first job for me, was there for 2 years. loved working there besides i was in high school and couldn’t get enough hours to live off of. short shifts 4-430 to 8-9. depends how busy they were.
Pros
50% off while working 25% for whole table(friends and family)
Can be a fun place to work but you make no money
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 February 2019
Basically the people who have worked there the longest get the best shifts and the best sections. Which I get it, it makes sense... but every single shift they get the BEST tables. It’s never equal. Which makes it impossible for newer people to make any money. You’re forced to do two weeks of training to learn how to serve there even if you have 9 years of serving experience. You get to serve for less than minimum wage for two weeks and give all your tips to the person “training” you. They let you take all your own tables while training and then you get to keep nothing you’ve earned. They do split shifts so you get to work lunch hour for 1-2 hours and make 20$ (If you’re lucky) at lunch. Then you get to go on your break until 5pm. Then you’re the first one cut. So you waste your entire day basically to make no money. On Friday and Saturday nights the management doesn’t want you to be overwhelmed so anyone who hasn’t worked there 10+ years gets a 3 table section. Feel blessed if you get a 4 table section. Sometimes there are large parties and one of your 3 tables goes to someone else.. those are the best nights. You are a glorified food runner and cutlery roller and all the people who have worked there for a long time make good money. Only reason I stayed so long was because the other servers were fun to work with. Tip out was 3.5 total food sales and 2.5 to total bar sales. Highest tip out I’ve ever had to pay out considering half the people tip 10%. Also management and the owner takes part of the tips for the tip out. They never do staff parties or Christmas parties, nothing  more... to help build teamwork. Apparently the staff doesn’t deserve it. Even when a kitchen member won a competition and was promised a $500 party, the management kept the money instead. I love all the staff, but awful place to work. The customers are people who expect a Keg quality steak but for 14.99$ and complain it is a poor quality steak. I WONDER WHY. Also, you get written up for everything so they have an excuse to fire you. If you forget to ring in an app, or forget to type *ALLERGY* after every single thing including each mod (so you write it 10 f-ing times on one chit) you get written up. Or if you forget to say no croutons, even though you wrote gluten allergy, you get written up. Because the kitchen is too stupid to put two and two together, it becomes your problem. Kitchen staff switches up so fast it’s hard to remember names. Same with servers.  less
Pros
The other staff
Cons
Fast paced fun work environment
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON22 February 2019
Montanas was a good place to work. Management and work environment were great. Not much room for growth. Long late night hours and weekends don't leave much time for a social life.
Pretty good
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC22 February 2019
Some of the managers made working there pretty difficult for some, although I was treated fairly well, the environment felt very high school-esque which was unprofessional.
productive workplace
Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 February 2019
good hours very flexible with school
learnt how to grill streak and ribs learned how to uses the fried and I learn how to use the industrial dish washer
staff was very nice and helpful
Fast paced but lacking in structure.
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 February 2019
Over all not a bad company to work for. But at the Fort McMurray Montana's good luck hearing a word of English in the kitchen as the general manager and majority of the staff are Philippines and refuse to talk to the other staff unless they are willing to keep their mouths shut and do what they're told or speak their language. Many problems with the standard as Montana's has a high standard the the fort Mac restaurant does not follow: inconsistent product, guessing all measurements, lack of proper food safe, and even re-dating expired food which happens almost daily so you never know if it was prepped or thaws the day before or the week before
fun cooks and work place
Cook (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON7 February 2019
defiantly a typical day at work as a cook at montanas. mainly learned how to cook all type of dishes. management is pretty laid back. hardest part of the job is remembering all the new food dishes and how to prepare them. overall very enjoyable job and fun people to work around.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
split shifts
Made very good friends, fun working environment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB23 January 2019
I loved working at Montanas, always enjoyed going to work. Just moved to the city and made some really good friends that I still keep in contact with. Everyone helps each other out when things get busy.
Good Entry Level Serving/Bartending
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 January 2019
To cut back on cost we are ALWAYS understaffed in FOH and BOH.
Management doesn't help when you're busy
You get rated by every table on the moneris machine and you literally have to talk to customers about it or else you lose shifts
Tips are meh
The bartender has to serve in the restaurant
Always low/out of stock

This is an entry level serving/bartending position. I think this would be great to gain experience but don't expect to learn or grow in this position since most bartenders don't even know how to mix a caesar when they first start and a caesar is about the most complicated drink you'll have to make.
Pros
50% discount on shift, 20% discount on food only off shift, friendly staff/management
Cons
poor management, no auto gratuity on large parties, understaffed, staff aren't trained, high tip out
Best Restaurant to Serve At
Hostess/Waitress/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON17 January 2019
I had served and bartended at many restaurants and banquet halls; however Montana's was the only cuisine that stuck with me. I enjoyed showing up for work; and I enjoyed doing my job.
Pros
Awesome staff, awesome environment, awesome guests, discount on meals and Yummy yummy food!
Cons
not applicable
good only if you dont have bills to pay
Cook (Former Employee) –  Grandview, BC13 January 2019
I found it good at first but as soon as a quality caring manager left it was a joke. Theyre very unproffesional in letting employees bully. The main factor that makes most people leave is that they do not give you enough shifts It was starting to be one shift a week. They also tend to send you home when its not busy.
Pros
disscount on food
Cons
no hours and negative enviroment.
Do not recommend
Server (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON10 January 2019
Management was an absolute mess and there was no training provided really. Threw their employees out to the wolves and when you didn't perform according to their expectations, you'd be penalized. I don't understand how they let the owner gain a restaurant in the franchise when he has absolutely no management skills or understanding of the industry. He snaps and interrupts servers while they are in the middle of helping guests. Over staffed at times, resulting in low sales. Food isn't good or there are mistakes, resulting in low average guest check. Overall, not worth the time. Coworkers were alright, aside from creepy kitchen guys.
Cons
everything
A nice starter job
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC5 January 2019
Everyone there was helpful and supportive. It was honestly really nice working there, the hours kinda sucked though. I’d start a shift at 430 in the afternoon and end around 11-12 at night. It’s wasnt nice long term.
Pros
Discounted food
Cons
Late hours
Cara foods restaurant
LINE COOK (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON1 January 2019
The company that runs Montana's and Kelsey's offers comprehensive training. Expectations are clear. I worked at franchised locations and I would describe the culture as less than ideal. I was happy to move to another company when I did.
as s server
Server (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON22 December 2018
a good work environment, laid back, great management. Gets pretty busy but the tips pay off. you get the odd balls sometimes that don't tip well but overall a great job
Fun place to work if you are young
Hostess (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB9 December 2018
Simple job but can become very busy.
Management was iffy.
Must have lots of energy and the ability to lift heavy hot plates.
Some very nice people work there.
Fun workplace
BARTENDER/SERVER (Current Employee) –  Kindersley, SK7 December 2018
Nice people to work and helping each other.
Management are good and listen to everyone if there is something to improved.
They respect every individual.
Pros
Tips
Fast Pace Workplace
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK27 November 2018
Had to be constantly on the move and usually getting yelled and but, that is the life of a line cook lol. If you love to cook I would highly recommend them for employment.
Decent Job, Horrible Management
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 November 2018
The job in itself is constantly working as the restaurant is always busy. There is little room to b trained properly for the job at hand, management has their favourites; not everyone is treated equally. You don’t get rewarded for going beyond your shift and they don’t tip you out until after 3 months probation. I would only recommend this job if your desperate for money
Pros
Leaving work
Cons
Unfair treatment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Montana's BBQ & Bar. Our community is ready to answer.