Montana's BBQ & Bar Employee Reviews

Good Entry Level Serving/Bartending
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 January 2019
To cut back on cost we are ALWAYS understaffed in FOH and BOH.
Management doesn't help when you're busy
You get rated by every table on the moneris machine and you literally have to talk to customers about it or else you lose shifts
Tips are meh
The bartender has to serve in the restaurant
Always low/out of stock

This is an entry level serving/bartending position. I think this would be great to gain experience but don't expect to learn or grow in this position since most bartenders don't even know how to mix a caesar when they first start and a caesar is about the most complicated drink you'll have to make.
Pros
50% discount on shift, 20% discount on food only off shift, friendly staff/management
Cons
poor management, no auto gratuity on large parties, understaffed, staff aren't trained, high tip out
Best Restaurant to Serve At
Hostess/Waitress/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON17 January 2019
I had served and bartended at many restaurants and banquet halls; however Montana's was the only cuisine that stuck with me. I enjoyed showing up for work; and I enjoyed doing my job.
Pros
Awesome staff, awesome environment, awesome guests, discount on meals and Yummy yummy food!
Cons
not applicable
good only if you dont have bills to pay
Cook (Former Employee) –  Grandview, BC13 January 2019
I found it good at first but as soon as a quality caring manager left it was a joke. Theyre very unproffesional in letting employees bully. The main factor that makes most people leave is that they do not give you enough shifts It was starting to be one shift a week. They also tend to send you home when its not busy.
Pros
disscount on food
Cons
no hours and negative enviroment.
Do not recommend
Server (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON10 January 2019
Management was an absolute mess and there was no training provided really. Threw their employees out to the wolves and when you didn't perform according to their expectations, you'd be penalized. I don't understand how they let the owner gain a restaurant in the franchise when he has absolutely no management skills or understanding of the industry. He snaps and interrupts servers while they are in the middle of helping guests. Over staffed at times, resulting in low sales. Food isn't good or there are mistakes, resulting in low average guest check. Overall, not worth the time. Coworkers were alright, aside from creepy kitchen guys.
Cons
everything
Cara foods restaurant
LINE COOK (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON1 January 2019
The company that runs Montana's and Kelsey's offers comprehensive training. Expectations are clear. I worked at franchised locations and I would describe the culture as less than ideal. I was happy to move to another company when I did.
as s server
Server (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON22 December 2018
a good work environment, laid back, great management. Gets pretty busy but the tips pay off. you get the odd balls sometimes that don't tip well but overall a great job
Fun place to work if you are young
Hostess (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB9 December 2018
Simple job but can become very busy.
Management was iffy.
Must have lots of energy and the ability to lift heavy hot plates.
Some very nice people work there.
Fun workplace
BARTENDER/SERVER (Current Employee) –  Kindersley, SK7 December 2018
Nice people to work and helping each other.
Management are good and listen to everyone if there is something to improved.
They respect every individual.
Pros
Tips
Fast Pace Workplace
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK27 November 2018
Had to be constantly on the move and usually getting yelled and but, that is the life of a line cook lol. If you love to cook I would highly recommend them for employment.
Decent Job, Horrible Management
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 November 2018
The job in itself is constantly working as the restaurant is always busy. There is little room to b trained properly for the job at hand, management has their favourites; not everyone is treated equally. You don’t get rewarded for going beyond your shift and they don’t tip you out until after 3 months probation. I would only recommend this job if your desperate for money
Pros
Leaving work
Cons
Unfair treatment
Toxic environment and not a great workplace
Prep Cook/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON25 November 2018
Learned a lot of skills and advanced my cooking techniques while working as a prep/line cook. Made some good friendships/connections with other co-workers, management was good but owners were terrible.
Pros
Free food on shift
Montanans
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB22 November 2018
a typical work day at Montana's is pretty all over the place depending on the time, day and if there are any events in town, the restaurant can ether be very busy or very quiet.

during my time there i found that the job itself was pretty standard.

the management itself was pretty all over the place at times, i found that almost every manager there had a different perspective on how the restaurant should be ran, which could lead into a bit of frustration at times.

the workplace culture was a little bit of a hit and miss,at times there seemed to be a lot of unnecessary drama, staff not wanting to cooperate as a team, and other staff thinking they had the power and authority over others.

probably one of the hardest part of my jobs was trying to work as team with other staff members.

most enjoyable part was the discount on food though!
Pros
discounted food
Cons
short hours, no team work
great place
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Alliston, ON21 November 2018
great place to work, no complaints, great environment, great people, even better food, would recommend work here for people able to keep up with high pace and previous kitchen experience
Cons
long hours, no set shift end
Awful
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC6 November 2018
I worked at Montana’s in kamloops for about 4 months and the whole time I was promised to be serving but I was hosting the entire time and the management was awful. If you needed a day off and you BOOKED it off, he still put me on schedule the day I couldn’t work and then got mad if I brought it up.
Fun people, bad management
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB4 November 2018
I worked at Montana's for a short amount of time in Lloydminster. The management there wasn't the greatest, they were rude and didn't inform me when or if they changed the schedule.
Great work place even better people
Cook (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON3 November 2018
Love my team at Montanas, have been there 6 year love the way they make you feel like a family always working together getting the job done. We are always have a good time making the best of our night
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Not enough pay
Terrible hours, friendly staff
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 October 2018
Friendly staff, busy environment with terrible management. Tips and payout never added up right at the end of your shift. No consideration or care for employee needs
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
terrible management
Not a great place entirely
LINE COOK (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 October 2018
working at the montanas i was located in was tough for the time that i was there. management never did there jobs properly and relied on underpaid staff to make up for them.
Do not work here
server (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 October 2018
This was the worst job I ever had. They never paid me. I was not treated nicely. The staff is not welcoming or friendly, not willing to help out and look out for another. I do not recommend working here.
fun place to work
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  London, ON24 October 2018
hours of work go by quickly nice staff and management busy for dinner and lunch rush easy to learn how to cook the menu items and good pay checks every pay
Pros
quick hours
Cons
no free food

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Montana's BBQ & Bar. Our community is ready to answer.