Mohawk College

Mohawk College Employee Reviews

Canada199 reviews

collegestudentexperienceprogramteachingflexiblecontractschool

Great place to work at

A lot of on going project to work on.Friendly working environment depending on the department.Do not have free parking.Great for entry level jobs to grow.

Pros

Friendly environment

Cons

No free parking

Good option if you are an student there

It`s a nice place to start gaining some work experience but nothing else. You`ll receive minimum wage and no more than 15 h per week as a part-time worker.

Insights into Mohawk College

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility

Excellent workplace

Great place to work with supportive managers and co-worker There are training opportunities for those who want to advance. Excellent compensation package.

Focused on finances, not learning

Mohawk college was my employer for 5 years before I left to take another position. The work was enjoyable and the students were always very friendly (best part of the job!). Support staff colleagues were generally friendly; many seasoned employees were caught up in the politics of job hierarchy and could be resistant to change or new staff. Bad management decisions through the college, good managers and directors keep leaving while the toxic ones stay (and are glorified). Throughout the pandemic the environment became increasingly stressful and less focussed on academics and learning, the Deans and Admin are worried about money and numbers first. Diploma mill in the making.

Loved teaching there. Management philosophy is poor.

Loved teaching. Management culture when I started with this company was good. It later shifted to a more corporate emphasis, "We are NOT and institute of higher learning, we are an educational services business". Managers hired with experience within the financial services and marketing sectors with little or no experience in education. Believed, because they are managers, they knew more about curriculum than faculty and constantly seeking to "lower the bar" to improve student retention. No respect for faculty expertise.

Advertised for a job that wasn't really the job

I was completely taken aback when I realized that the job I thought I had interviewed for wasn't the job they were hiring for. Got to the orientation only to find that I was working in a capacity that I wasn't suited for. Staff were cold and unhelpful

Toxic culture

I don't think I could ever find a worse work environment than Mohawk College. Would only recommend working here if you're desperate for money and health benefits.

Not a bad place to work

The pay was good and it included benefits even for partial-load instructors. No real complaints. it was a great starting place to get into the field of work.

Great! Would recommend for students

Had a good time. Friendly staff. Good for students, would recommend agian I the future for others looking for work. Flexible hours too which is a plus.

The employers were very helpful and there is always activities for further learning. Working online was boring though. Hope I have the opportunity to work with then again in the future.

Collaborative and fulfilling workplace. Respectful colleagues and management.

Wonderful workplace. Given many opportunities for growth and advancement. Respected in position, fulfilling and rewarding work. Collaborative and compassionate team!

No respect, pays well

If you are support staff or contract, you will not be respected by your peers or treated well. There is little room for advancement unless you are in management. The "Mohawk Family" thing does not vibe with me. There is an unspokenness that you should always be thinking about Mohawk and doing work even when you are not on the clock. It does pay well if you can look past everything else.

Pros

Pay, flexible during Covid

Cons

Management, work environment, no room for advancement

What a joke

I was asked to fill a much needed role, and accepted under the premise that I would be having a child and would need to take parental leave. All was accepted and I began my role. Went off on parental and then all of a sudden I needed to re apply for my role because the title had changed. Then I was replaced (still on parental leave) with a less qualified person who didn't last very long. Most of the management there had/ have no idea what they are doing.

Pros

Cons

Terrible Management

Great place ro work

The people are fantastic to work with. The management staff cares about three people under them. The culture is great. They believe in lifetime learning.

Pros

The people

Great experience

First time ever in a teaching environment and I was happy to have the opportunity to do so. My prerequisites for coq in current field. The interview went well and I've been called back since. It's too bad there wasn't a full-time position opening up.

Pros

Freedom to deliver content

Cons

Upper management poor communication

Evolving and free flowing

As a Social Media Ambassador, I was able to support the Open House activities by attending events and taking photos, preparing descriptions for the activities and submitting them to the marketing department for later use.

Great centre for education.

Great centre for education. Was a student here. Professors are experienced and go the extra mile to help students prepare for their careers. Would highly recommend.

All great people to work with

Great place to work. A good variety of experience if you like a challenge. The hours are great, weekends off. Relaxed but busy atmosphere. Great co workers and bosses.

Pros

Great bosses & employees

Cons

An abundance of time off

Mohawk

Worked there while going to school. Great people great job. Very flexible working conditions. People went out of their way to make sure you succeeded at the job. Had a ton of fun. Wish I could get something permanent!

Good place to work, friendly relaxed atmosphere,

• Flexible manager 5/5 • long-term project work allows for substantial learning • sometimes work staff left to their own devices without adequate support

Pros

1 hour lunch

Cons

contract pay is too low

Great job opportunity for Mohawk students

The CSEP program at Mohawk College is great as it allows students to work 15 hours a week maximum in order to balance their work-school ratio. Once you have developed a relationship with your employer your chances of getting re-hired once your contract ends are high.

Pros

On Campus, reasonable hours for students

Cons

I did not get to stay as long as I would have liked to

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mohawk College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement