Modern Cleaning Concept Employee Reviews

Unprofessional Company
Day Porter/Night Cleaner (Current Employee) –  British Columbia14 March 2019
Now I don't want to sound unprofessional, rude, etc, but I feel this needs to be said. It was the worst job i've ever had, I don't even know how to start. The work conditions are horrid, absolutely disgusting, I get thats part of the job, but to be cleaning up, gettin splashed by, and smelling blood, and fecal matter for half the day, for a evil pay stub is really not worth it. I had to pretty much beg to get equiptment/supplies, then had customers and staff angry because dutys (cleaning wasrooms) were not being done. The Communication was abominable, I had no contact with my bosses for over 2 weeks, and over 3 weeks when trying to get ahold of their head offices, and I STILL havent heard back. The superiors who come by to "evaluate" the store are crude aswell, they only come criticizing your work, even on how you look at some points, yet see them for under 10 min once every 3 months. Short on my pay amounts by hundreds, no access to online accounts, half of my paystubs from over a year, shortening of hours without any notice, no T4, etc etc, overall biggest waste of time I've ever put myself through, I'm so happy to have moved on from this company, and hope more people steer clear! Good luck!
Pros
Honestly Nothing
Cons
Worked like a dog for nothing
Night cleaner/dayporter (Former Employee) –  Fort St John B.C5 February 2019
So our whole crew in fort St John b.c got laid off as of the beginning of Jan. We were replaced for cheaper less productive immigrants. That was fine as my franchisee laid us all off. The problem began when modern would not acknowledge that we were laid off we had no severance or roe for a month. Finally after 3 weeks of threatening legal action I got me and my crew our pay. Have never seen such a poorly run company in my life. And I will never have a good thing to say about this company again.
Pros
Boss never showed up. Free to plan your own work strategy
Cons
No medical coverage after 6 months even though that is what they said, no r.o.e or severance for upwards of a month after being laid off, and absolutely atrocious work environment
Fun company to work for!
JANITOR (Former Employee) –  Grand Falls, NB30 January 2019
I got this job while I was still in high school, I had simple responsibilities and not too many hours which allowed me to still focus on school and have a personal life. I had been hired by a family member, it was an excellent work experience!
Pros
Lots of recognition for your work
Cons
Short Hours
**Attention**attention**
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Durham Region, ON24 January 2019
Toxic work environment, with no regards for employees. No regards for work place standards act employees waiting 4-7 weeks with out pay. Claimed to not need social insurance number. Equipment breaking down all the time, vacume caught fire in middle of Walmart after we complained a few days before that it was not working right ** AVOID AT ALL COST **
Pros
Cons
Modern
Kamloops
not good (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC21 January 2019
Cant get the pay right , no training , management does not know if coming or going way over there head, does not have clean mops, no buckets that can keep wheels on them , know comunication, lies lies lies not good , cant get a straight answer
Pros
not good
Cons
not good
Dont work at ottawa trainyard!!!!!!!!
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Ottawa on train yards3 January 2019
I would advise ANYONE TO NOT WORK AT OTTAWA WALMART TRAINYARD!!!!! PLEASE!!!!! This was the most toxic unhealthy environment I have ever been in my life. This was a job that was like high school.....nothing but miserable bullies! I am also just like the other person who has left a review working with the labour board to get money that is owed to me. Please steer clear of this job.
Night worker
Night Crew (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 November 2018
I have hd 5 bosses in less than 2 years. Management now is a complete joke. I used to be full time and then our hours got cut to 20.
No supplies, no rules just make it up as you go. Never have any communication, and if there us it constantly negative. No staff meetings either. People start and quit after a few days because they are promised full time and find out it is not.
No benefits either. Have to give 3 weeks notice for time off which this manager aways forgets.
Do not bother calling head office HR because she just will hang up on you and tell you to talk to your franchisee.
Complete disrespect from this boss.We were told we had to have a cell phone to work and take photos with our phones but yet no compensation for our bills.
He will only communicate to you using messenger. As for equipment, it is always broken down and takes for ever to get fixed.
Stay clear of this company.
Pros
Cons
Not enough hours, poor pay, no training, no communication
Minimum wage goes up hours go down
Night cleaner (Current Employee) –  Calgary ab14 October 2018
Minimum wage goes to $15 hour. Work hours cleaning Walmart cut. Schedule now not well organised. Lousy company to work for. Faulty floor cleaners and problems getting certain supplies. Cannot make a living doing this job.
great for cleaners
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC29 August 2018
fun place to work.. if you get sick of one place you can just go somewhere else.. quite long hours and the people are alright nothing more then minimal wage
working with this company or franchishe owners is horrible
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON14 August 2018
ive been working with this compamy since june 23 and have not been paid if they cant handle their franchise owners they should be looking at other avenues
Do not like
Industrial Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON13 August 2018
Very sneaky and shady franchisee owners. Always have a problem when it comes to making complaints. Had the hardest time being paid by boss. Hours were good wages were decent but getting them to get their marbles together was difficult
Not worth the work
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB1 August 2018
I worked for the company for year and half and during that time I had a hard time making a living. I was making $2 more than I was with Walmart. But once taxes and everything else was taking off I was making the exact same. My friend who was the franchisee had a hard time with the company as we were all getting screwed financially to the point where he handed it right back to them. We are in a town that is hard to hire for as no one will work for less than $15/hr.
Cons
The pay is not worth it. Being paid less than going rate of the job in other provinces
Very bad management
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON29 July 2018
Worked for them for 5 months and things were great. Then they farmed it out to a sub contractor and didn't tell anyone. One day a woman shows up and says she's my boss and is incredibly bossy. Demands I give her all my personal info or I'm fired. Told them I gave it when I was originally hired. She said they lost it and give them everything again or I'm fired. I quit. They had no idea what they were doing. Dont work for modern, in the end you probably wont be.
Pros
There are none
Cons
Everything.
High turnover for a good reason
Day-shift Porter (Current Employee) –  Langford, BC30 June 2018
Minimal training, minimal support; have had two bosses in 6 months and the 2nd is on the verge of being replaced.
Inconsistent expectations.
Have never seen a pay stub despite months of asking. Was finally told by my boss to ask his boss for the info.
Smartest thing they've done is not micromanage us.
Pros
Willing to accomodate my availability
Cons
Everything else.
Good
Supervisor/Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Keswick, ON19 June 2018
I love the company. They have kind people working for each store. Workers jut need to pay more attention to their job and actually like what they're doing other than just going to get paid.
Avoid like the plague
Overnight Porter (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON27 May 2018
I have worked for Modern in the Durham region for about 10months. Since the beginning, pay cheques have been late. There is never any consistency in this regard. The franchisee admits to ignoring the Ontario Employment Standards Act and says its not his problem if his employees are not paid on time. You are constantly asked to cut corners, and spoken down to. This is a toxic work environment that I would recommend only to seasoned masochists.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Everything else
it was good.
Walmart (Former Employee) –  Hinton, AB22 May 2018
work was from 9pm-4-5am
nights were tough and threw off your schedual nuy they were quiet and easy to work with. manegment was good. they were friendly and the rest of the staff were too. hardest part was the sleeping schedual. most enjoyable part was just being able to keep to myself while cleaning.
Terrible to work for
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Walmart trainyards22 March 2018
Franchise owners mess with hours and don't pay what they owe, words of caution. Currently working with ministry of labor to claim unpaid wages. Many stories concerning unpaid hours.
Bad francisee
Maintenance Lead Hand (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON8 March 2018
Pay was constantly incorrect, and impossible to get corrected. Franchisee refused to communicate had to contact the labour board to get it corrected. Some co workers worked a month before seeing a pay check. Poorly run. Do not recommend this place to anyone, your better off getting a job at a temp agency.
Pros
Cons
everything
Very confusing management but higher then minumum wage
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 February 2018
Started out as a good company to work for. Ive worked for modern for almost 6 months, i found it boring working an 8 hour day as you can only clean the bathrooms so much before you cant anymore. Management was good at the beginning until my boss got fired. Now i currently rode the bus across edmonton to get to work to find out that someone else is now working my shift. I have not been contacted by the new boss, ive been left completely in the dark. Not overly impressed.
Pros
Easy work, higher pay
Cons
Bad management, rude people