Modern Beauty

Modern Beauty Employee Reviews

Canada16 reviews
I’ll start off by saying that the only good thing about working for modern beauty is the free food and they are pretty flexible with vacation times(sometimes).

The way they pay their employees is extremely sketchy and makes absolutely no sense. I expressed concerns to the HR person and the district manager and every time it was “oh it’s supposed to be that way”. Don’t expect to her your first pay check till about a month after you start working there.

You have to attend a trial day at the store you’re supposed to work at without any pay or guarantee you will get the job.

Pay is extremely low and you will get treated like you are stupid if you ask for a raise no matter your experience or how long you have been with the company.

Head office is extremely poor at communication and have no plan on changing that. You are a money maker to them and that’s it. They will tell you “we are always here to help if you have questions” then you ask a question and they treat you like you’re stupid.

Very high turnover rate all over the company at all stores. Which usually results in the rest of the remaining employees working 6-7 days a week with no overtime pay. The only people that stick around are stylists for the discount.

No one will train you on the specifics but will expect you to know everything within your first month.

Not an idea place to work if you have any type of anxiety as this place will trigger it 24-7.
Pros
Free food, vacation time, discounts
Cons
Horrible management, low pay, high stress
Super shady business, non existent management, horrible pay, uneducated head office. Never felt supported there. When covid hit a family member had gotten it and I had been around them so I had to self isolate for the 2 weeks which was suggested in March. I wasn’t done my 3 month probation and when I was supposed to come back to work they fired me. When I asked what the reason was, so I could work on it in the future, the person said that it wasn’t a good fit, when it literally was , nobody ever sat down and gave me a review or told me I was doing anything wrong , absolutely no communication, when I kept pressing for the reason, she said cause of my schedule which is shady, as I was hired as a student, part time, and I was working 4 days a week? Also nobody from management asked me if I could increase my hours since school was out for covid . Super shady - I know they let me go due to not wanting to pay the extra person.i would look else where for work , not a company that cares for their employees
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Multiple
You will be expected to go on a 8 hour “trial” at your own expense upon being hired. Company preys on young, inexperienced individuals who do not know any better. No car allowance, no benefits, and all commission based. Be prepared to get attitude from uneducated “stylists” who think they are superior. Move on... quickly. You are also expected to pay all of your own travel
Expenses.
Definitely the worst company I have ever worked. The pay is terrible. The manager in Ontario is the most horrible person. I could not stand working for Modern Beauty. You will regret it if you work there.
Poor Management, No benefits for sales reps, micromanaging, they make you pay for the use of their laptops, force you to join a video course costs you 50$ per month.
Where do I begin? I joined the Modern Family about two years ago. Currently heading into Mat Leave soon. I have always been treated with fairness and room for growth. HO is amazing for answering any questions I've ever had and I have always felt supported. My team works well together and every day I am greeted with warmth and a smile. To say I will miss it for a year. Would be an understatement. I love working here:
Great company to work for! Management is always willing to work with you. They are a family run company and are respectful of your time and are very understanding when life and family circumstances arise. Pay can is not bad for the work, it can always be better ;) they do offer incentives/bonuses to make more if you are willing to work for it. I appreciate everything they’ve done for me and would highly recommend working for this company.
Enjoyed the time on the road meeting new customers, presenting products and selling education. Too much paperwork - impedes on personal time, pay doesn't match hours worked.
All I'm going to say is after being hired, within a few weeks, flew to head office for standard training,became violently ill.
Management / Owners were not happy I continued to attend some meetings even though I was sick. Got back to Toronto and was fired...no explanation!
Lack of compassion , no proper training, lack of proper management . No proper days off. Highly do NOT recommend working here. When I took a day off for being sick I was asked to bring a doctors note (which they don’t no reimburse you for)
Worked for the company for almost 2 years, took my 2 weeks for MY WEDDING- come back the first day from my wedding and they fired me and refused to pay severance... my manager quit after 6 months and they never hired one again. Got paid minimum wage for 2 years and had 6 years of esthetic experience... never got offered a raise. Schedule always sucked. Works every holiday. PAY IS SKETCHY AND SUSPICIOUS!!’ they pay you in The most confusing way and you can’t understand your pay stub. All Family owners and family run, so to stand up for yourself for unfair treatment to management just gets you into trouble, they didn’t care when a coworker was being racist mad bullying me For 6 months!!! Worst place I’ve ever worked so unprofessional!!! I feel bad for the next person who goes there, it won’t last long.
Pros
Literally none
Cons
I worked for this company for a short period and was denied a pay cheque. I do not know what else to say, but if you'd like to give notice from your current position to work with these guys, you should know - they will not pay you.

I sent "self help" documents from the BC Provincial Government and they refused to reply. So, STAY AWAY! unless you'd like to work for free.
Pros
You won the interview
Cons
Where's my pay?
I had the unfortunate pleasure of being victimized by those whom enjoy telling fictional stories. This is the worst experience i have ever had and i cannot urge you enough to stay away.

I was hired to be the Sales Manger for BC and after 5 days they decided to fire me on a Saturday morning VIA text message - YES, A TEXT MESSAGE! No real explanation was given, but i found out that office people did not like the fact i knew what i was talking about. They might have felt intimidated by my knowledge of computer systems, procedures and their client lists, as i had been in the business for years prior to joining their team. Office people took it as; not being serious and i was even called "unprofessional" - wait, like that text message from the director on a Saturday morning?

There's no HR department in this company and it sure shows. I wish i could leave my name and number here, so i could tell everyone more, but i'll just say this: STAY AWAY! For those whom work for the company - RUN AWAY!
Pros
You're working
Cons
Absolutely everything!
At my interview I got a glimpse at how unprofessional management in this company is. I should of ran the other way then but didn't want to base my opinion of the company on one person. Turns out I should of ran. Burnaby Head Office is full of inexperienced children. Such a clicky culture. It actually seemed like the unprofessional immature attitude comes from the very top of this company. The showroom is quiet and boring. The pay and pay structure is very odd. You get asked to work 6 day weeks but don't get overtime for it. There are some great employees in the showroom who's skills are not being utilized.
Pros
No late nights and weekend shifts are short.
Cons
Everything else.
One of the worst jobs. No real manager and no advancement. Super quiet, boring. Poor pay. Kind of mind numbing at times. Management has unrealistic expectations. Will hire staff with no beauty experience.
Pros
Discount
Cons
A lot.
Good people. Chill warehouse. Expanding business. Good customer service. Opportunities. Family like environment.
Pros
free lunches