Mitacs

Mitacs Employee Reviews

Canada14 reviews
Research Intern
Completed a research project for MITACS. Great opportunity to learn and develop professional skills. The only downside was that communication between the different stakeholders is at times tedious.
great opportunities for advancement
Hard to pass the proposal since the peer-review is intense, but makes doing degrees much simpler. Has a lot of available training and opportunities that can be taken advantage of. Great for advancement
Mitacs is a great place to work
Highly recommend working for Mitacs. Great benefits and work culture across various offices. They make you feel that you are part of a family and working towards a collective vision.
Great mission where you are empowered to make a difference for Canada
The company works to improve the connections between academia and industry in Canada with an ultimate goal to see both communities benefit and lead Canada into the international marketplace for talent, ideas and innovation.

Working at Mitacs I feel very connected to the mission and constantly reminded of the importance of our work for the country and our local communities. The team is very supportive and the work environment is very flexible. It is a goals driven environment with less emphasis placed on sitting in a cubicle every day and more emphasis placed on meeting those goals whichever way you can. This leads to a flexible schedule and a lot of autonomy.

If you can be a self starter and not require constant management oversight, you would excel here.

The company has grown very quickly in the past 3 years. I guess that speaks to the importance of the work we do as there is demonstrated "need" for the work in Canada.
Valued Organization
Extremely valued organization that connect talented researchers to industry and help them build upon their career outside academia. However there is a need to have follow-up visits by MITACS business reps to make sure if the recipient is allowed to carry out research freely as per the approved research proposal and if he/she is getting the research grant as promised.
Collaborative atmosphere
Unstructured work environment with opportunities to introduce new process and ideas. Cross-functional teamwork and collaboration are important in all roles.
Great
Good opportunities for graduate and undergraduate students. Good Exposure to research in Canada. Meet a lot of new people from different countries. Very good funding
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Mitacs?
good summer job
Great job for people who would like to meet people from other countries, practice event organization skills. With the non-timeconsuming job this is a perfect extra dollar for the summer job.
Productive and fun loving
Productive and fun loving
Ability to grow and earn

Friendly

Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about numbers but you personally grow and develop.
Innovative, Excellent tasks prioritization, problem solving, and analytical skills
Through the internship experience with Mitacs on the Toronto Tower Renewal Project, in order to evaluate the energy consumption, I successfully analyzed the energy consumption (electricity consumption from their utility bills) of 136 units of a Multi-Unit Residential Building (MURB) over a three year period using the weather normalization energy benchmarking software PRISM. I also investigated the relationship between environmental attitudes and energy consumption of the tenants by analysing collected data using statistical analysis software SPSS. The detailed statistical results showed having high environmentally-conscious attitudes towards the energy consumption has a positive effect on occupant’s energy consumption level.
My strong time management and strong interpersonal skills allowed me to work with internal and external stakeholders and overcome problems throughout the project to meet academic and building owners’ requirements within the promised timeline. Regular meetings were held to ensure that energy efficiency measures were incorporated into the design.
Productive and very focused on work.
I am learning about social enterprise,community development and collective impact. It is a great learning environment.
Pros
Research focus
Cons
Short term
Excellent Employer
An excellent employer with great benefits and awesome colleagues
Great Vision
Company has a great idea. No matter what I feel I was personally due, I really, and truly respect what they're trying to do.

There is definitely something awry with the way the organization is structured though; high turnover in personnel isn't an accident.

Either way, the people who work there are mostly hardworking, pleasant folks.
Pros
benefits from day 1.
Cons
behaves too much like a small business, when it's rapidly expanding into big business territory.