Mission Thrift Store Employee Reviews

Very friendly and efficient
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON31 May 2019
Working here was a great experience. I loved everyone I worked with and they really cared about their staff. It is run on volunteers and there sure are a lot of them!
Pros
Great people
Cons
As a student I only worked every other saturday.
great way to learn the ropes of an actual job
Cash Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS18 May 2019
I had only been volunteering and would often switch between what I was doing depending on the amount of customers that day and the amount of other volunteers working. I was mainly on cash assist where I would wrap fragile items and bag everything as it was rung through. When cash wasn't busy I would go around finding empty hangers to bring to the back room as well as putting discarded clothing back on the correct rack. Sometimes a customer would inquire me about an item that didn't have a tag on it. I would take it to the back room where the ladies price the clothing and items, then return to the customer that had inquired about the item.
I learned how to control my facial expressions when it came to a rude customer, and learned that a work environment is so much easier to talk to people in than a school environment.
The volunteer manager was nice, although I didn't see them very often as they weren't there very often. The store manager was very nice and it surprised me everytime they would remember my name.
The workplace culture was good, everyone very nice and helpful with showing me how to do things and what would make my jobs more efficient. Although I didn't chat much while I worked I would say that I had a good relationship with the others and I felt more comfortable there than I thought I would.
The hardest parts were definitely the rude customers, but like I said I learned how to hide my displeasure with them. It also got very frustrating that I was only volunteering while looking for a job so I wasn't getting paid, but it is what I had signed up for.
The most
  more... enjoyable parts were when customers would bring their children or grandchildren in with them. The kids were so adorable and sweet and I loved the smale on their face when they got to carry out their new toy or clothes.  less
Pros
volunteer discounts of 25%
Cons
didn't get paid, some days were very long with nothing to do
Lots of things to do
Summer job (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS28 April 2019
Though I had a paying job here, most of the workers are volunteers. The job was really great because I wasn't stuck doing one thing all summer. Some days I would price stuff, other days I would organise donations, and other times I would be up front at cash. Everyday was different, and all the different tasks kept me from getting bored. The other volunteers there are so kind, and I thoroughly enjoyed their company.
Fun and interactive employees as well as a wide variety of jobs for all employees.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, AB13 March 2019
I really enjoyed working at Mission Thrift Store, the employees were fun and made work really enjoyable. The scheduling was flexible and the pay was decent. Interacting with the customers and getting to know daily customers was one of my favorite parts of the job.
Pros
Sundays are always off
Cons
No clear job description for cashiers
Amazing location to volunteer, safe and always welcome.
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 March 2019
A typical day at work here goes fairly quickly. There is always something to do and the morning is always started out right with a warm meeting that includes coffee with positive vibes.

There is happiness in that location that cannot be described in words. When you are there, there is hope and a chance at new beginnings.
Pros
Flexible hours, Friendly Staff, Free Coffee, Constant Work
Cons
Sometimes slow paced, Repetitive tasks
fun place to work and very easy going, relaxed environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON15 February 2019
It was a very fun place to work and the people were very nice and friendly. The work I did wasn't very difficult and was very easy to pick up on so I didn't have a lot of troubles.
No pressure work as it's a volunteer position
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON23 January 2019
I learnt to be punctual and how to fix furniture, it taught me customer service skills, being organized (sorting through donations)...
Pros
patient while training me, encouraging in trying new things (front desk, etc.)
Cons
no salary, not an actual position to make a career as they don't hire any staff
A busy but fun environment
Sorting clothes and hanging clothes up (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 January 2019
Mission thrift store is a very friendly, open space to volunteer in. The managers are very friendly. Great for students to complete their volunteer hours in.
Productive and fun
Receiver (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON20 October 2018
Mission Thrift Store was a fun place to volunteer at, due to the friendly and welcoming atmosphere the staff and the other volunteers showed to me, I loved working in the back, especially with people, because I can get stuff done fast and efficiently in a short amount of time. Receiving the clothes from people wasn't all that great, but the people that donated them were really nice and respectful. The hardest part of the job was when there was nothing to do, making it hard for me to feel motivated, while the good part was that I enjoyed what I was doing.
Pros
Free breaks and nice staff
Cons
N/a
Stocker, pricer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB20 April 2018
Easy going staff and management, hours of volunteering are flexible, nice atmosphere. It is a ice place to work at and I recommend going there to help out or donate.
Good Ethics
Cashier (Placement) (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON5 March 2018
The ethics at Mission Thrift Store are great! Even as a non-religious person I was welcomed with open arms during the duration of my contract. Overall a good place to work.
It is a well organized place to work.
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE, RETAIL ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 September 2017
I learned how to work as a sale person, working in customer service, cash, desplaying the merchandising, cleaning and dealing with sale problems.

The management is really accurated for a Thrift Store, taking advantage of special products.

Workplace culture is respectful of the multicultural situation in Canada.

I enjoy sharing with different kind of people in the store.
Helps growing skills.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON3 August 2017
Everyday is a challenging day. Volunteers who work here are the best. its a great chance to have hands on every department in the store, pricing, sorting, deliveries, pickups, quality check, etc.strong management, has to work for long hours standing, running and lifting different materials, but it is real fun working here with all the experienced seniors.
Pros
free snacks on breaks.
Cons
Long Hours.
Wonderful Environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON12 July 2017
Mission Thrift Store is primarily run by volunteers with a few hired students and managers. The workplace culture is amazing! I've loved working here and am only quitting because I need more hours.
Pros
Amazing managers and coworkers.
Cons
Nasty donations.
Good people, had a great time volunteering
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB19 June 2017
Good place, great people, friendly. I enjoy being there, they have an incredible atmosphere, and the work never feels pointless. Only downside is the constant playing of 96.3.