Mission Hill Family Estate Winery

Mission Hill Family Estate Winery Employee Reviews

Canada14 reviews
Fun workplace environment with an incredible team
Mission Hill Winery is a wonderful place to work. The management try and give employees opportunities to grow within the company and they offer a Career Development Program each summer which helps eager employees advance in to various new positions. Each staff member at the winery is passionate about where they work and what they represent as there is a lot of team spirit. Summer is definitely the busiest time of the year and in the Fall and Winter months it slows down quite a bit so sometimes it is recommended to have a second part time job, however they do try their best to keep staff around. The hardest part of the job is probably the lay out of the property. The winery is built for ascetics rather than for the ease of the employee, making some jobs a little more difficult. (i.e. The restaurant layout and the storage spaces for events)
Collaborative and fast-paced environment
Working with such a collaborative team was a great opportunity for me during my internship. Everyone was very open to guiding me on my path and assisting me with any problem I had.
Unprofessional to the end
My whole experience was unprofessional from start to finish:
1. Onboarding: They kept postponing my start date because they said everything was taken. Therefore, I was left with no choice but with whatever was left. I was not trained properly and was expected to learn everything on the job.

2. Working: Working at the Terrace was marketed as a team effort but you were on your own at the end of the day. Unless you were part of a clique, it was difficult to receive any sort of support. Poor management who only cared about the numbers rather than the well-being of their staff; long hours, undesirable conditions (hot, windy and slippery stairs when it rained) and not having a clear outline of what was expected. There were discrepancies between marketing and what was truly offered that employees suffered verbal abuse from customers.

3. Leaving: Without notice, they fired me on the spot. All my 'mistakes' were pointed out the day of and were never mentioned beforehand. No concrete evidence for grounds of firing was given aside from the 'mistakes' outlined verbally, which could have been prevented had proper training been provided or upper management supported their staff in front of customers.
Pros
Learn about wine, discount for products
Cons
Unprofessional upper management and co-workers, undesirable working conditions
Family Business
Very close knit departments. Very clicky. Nice people. Management is very knowledgeable and helpful. Culture is very family orientated. Fun place to work
Pros
Monthly gift card
Stay Away
Save your sanity and find another winery in the Okanagan to work for. The mental stress of constantly worrying if you will be fired on a moments notice is exhausting. The lack of support and understanding from management is deplorable. They see their staff as disposable and worthless.
Run fast and far.....stay out of the insanity.
It’s like that bottle of wine you tasted at a tasting room on a wine tour, out of town with friends on a long weekend. The hype, excitement, drama of a fun day with cool people and you pony up and buy the bottle. Then you get home, put it away for a bit and open it when you are away from the hype and it’s not what you expected, flat, no flavour and truly disappointing past the packaging.

On the face this place is sexy and distinguished and intriguing. Then you get to your actual work and see the poor leadership, worse management, The tone set right at the top which permeates through and through. The leadership is not qualified for their roles and will end up fired like the rest of them someday soon, it is inevitable. If you could only see the true turnover stats

You will see truth in their actions that they truly don’t care about you, no matter what they say or how much they pay you, and will be rid of you on a whim. If you must, work there for the experience and use them for your resume but leave before you see the true tarnish underneath the shine.

And leave before they fire you because they seriously fire everyone. The creepiest ones are at the top. And those top dogs who read this will 100% say “ what an idiot we should have fired this person” rather than take in the feedback to make any positive change because everyone outside the insanity is apparently a moron. Glad to have this train wreck in my rear view.
We got yelled and sworn at
The management was really bad in certain parts of the winery (administrative). Everyone got their jobs threatened at least once a week and we were sworn at so often. We weren’t allowed to talk inside. It was like a prison. If you want to work here, ask them questions about what the work environment is like and if it’s friendly or not. There is an extremely high turnover rate. They fire employees with no notice. I am not joking. This was legitimately a horrid place to work.
Pros
Cons
Harassment
Extrodinary place to work
Everyone works as a team and the Supervisors and Management team are highly organized. The concerts are meticulously arranged in detail. It's all hands on deck so we each play a very important role in making this a wonderful experience for our guests. The restaurant serves some spectacular meals. The atmosphere is second to none.
Productive and fun workplace
I absolutely love working for Mission Hill Family Estate. All of the members of management are very kind and helpful in all situations. The atmosphere is always light and energetic with fellow colleagues and managers. Everyone on property is happy to be there. I always enjoy going into work. The view is incredible as well.
Great team overall, with flexible life friendly schedules, and many learning opportunities
Fun work place, with a cohesive, but small team, where everyone has equal roles. Chefs aren't afraid to take a step back occasionally and let you take the lead. Hardly any red tape, or kitchen politics, everyone is very open with each other. Pretty decent benefits for a seasonal job, but there is very little room for growth.
Pros
Great people, good hours, good benefits
Cons
seasonal position, little room for individual growth
always meeting new visitors from around the world
Patrolling the grounds and operations buildings on foot and by car. Learned a lot about wine making and the wine industry. Management was very friendly. My co-workers were very friendly and helpful offering a wide background in different work experiences.
Pros
working in a beautiful location
Cons
the pay was too low
Great land, view and people. Great food and wine, and happy guests.
I learned a lot about cuisine and wine, I really enjoyed working somewhere so beautiful and the architecture was very cool. My co-workers were alright, I made friends with everybody and we were always smiling. Work was very fast paced which got overwhelming at times but everyone worked as a team. One thing that wasn`t so good was working outside (the restaurant is outside), very hot weather in a full black suit uniform, but I made it work.
Pros
free lunches
enjoyable workplace
The most enjoyable part of the job is that I was allowed to work such a beautiful place like, overlooking rows of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, our outdoor and stylish Terrace Restaurant.This spectacular culinary destination was recently recognized by Travel + Leisure magazine as "one of the top five winery restaurants in the world…the centerpiece of the Canadian wine tourism industry…one of the most glorious dining experiences around."

I learned a lot about wine and food combination.

Working as a team with the managment and co-workers they are very helpful as our goals was the same, which was to exceed guest expectation.

The hardest part of the job is to leave that place behind as I had to go back to Germany.
Pros
50% employee discount, training....
Cons
Great learning opportunity, built my career in many ways
Built on many of my weaknesses,
premium winery in the Okanagan

Structured work environment

decent pay

Protected Unionized staff
Pros
wine discount and just a beautiful place
Cons
seasonal
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mission Hill Family Estate Winery. Our community is ready to answer.
Mission Hill Family Estate Winery Reviews by Job Title