Ministry of the Solicitor General

Ministry of the Solicitor General Employee Review

View all Ministry of the Solicitor General reviews

Corrections Officer
Peace Officer, Corrections Branch (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC11 August 2018
I did not have an issue performing my duties with inmates; my difficutly was with abuses I witnessed by other officers, with lack of support, social isolation, and marginalization I was exposed to when my daughter died under tragic circumstances. I found it to be a place of authoritarian personalities where percieved attitudes and behaviours of inmates were perpetuated by sytemic abuses by frontline officers. It was an environment where empathy is viewed as a weakness, I found I could not help people there. I found it to be a place that emphasis punishment, not correction. The term "Corrections Officer" is an oxymoron; Punishment Applicator seems more appopriate.
Pros
I cannot think of one, operation expectations precluded helping people rectify life choices.
Cons
several officers were bullies of inmates, steriod use by other officers were coorelated with use by inmates, it is a place devoid of empathy

Other Ministry of the Solicitor General Employee Reviews

Do not work in corrections!!
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 September 2019
Literally the most mentally draining, most toxic environment I've ever worked at. Staff gossip, bully, and spread rumours and management does NOTHING.
great culture and positive work environment
Compliance Inspector (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2019
The Ministry of the Solicitor General is an excellent place to work. There is a collaborative culture amongst co-workers and everyone understands our 'mission'.
The pay is mid-range but fair and the work is rewarding.