Ministry of the Solicitor General Employee Reviews

Do not work in corrections!!
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 September 2019
Literally the most mentally draining, most toxic environment I've ever worked at. Staff gossip, bully, and spread rumours and management does NOTHING.
Interesting and challenging projects with opportunities for professional growth
Emergency Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 August 2019
Great opportunity to learn from a wide variety of stakeholders and emergency management professionals. Many interesting projects and portfolios that really challenge your EM skills. Great place to get to know other EM stakeholders.
Great if you have young family.
Senior Technical Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 June 2019
Work like balance is great. But salary isn't commensurate to private sector; and advancement opportunities are scarce. Great place to work if you are starting your family.
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
Low Salary compared to private sector; Little to no advancement opportunities
Very nice place to work
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 February 2019
Excellent benefits and pay, very flexible. your voice is heard and respected, unfortunately, a lot of people abusing the workplace and can't be gotten rid of.
Pros
almost everything
Cons
salary increase is based on current economy
Corrections Officer
Peace Officer, Corrections Branch (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC11 August 2018
I did not have an issue performing my duties with inmates; my difficutly was with abuses I witnessed by other officers, with lack of support, social isolation, and marginalization I was exposed to when my daughter died under tragic circumstances. I found it to be a place of authoritarian personalities where percieved attitudes and behaviours of inmates were perpetuated by sytemic abuses by frontline officers. It was an environment where empathy is viewed as a weakness, I found I could not help people there. I found it to be a place that emphasis punishment, not correction. The term "Corrections Officer" is an oxymoron; Punishment Applicator seems more appopriate.
Pros
I cannot think of one, operation expectations precluded helping people rectify life choices.
Cons
several officers were bullies of inmates, steriod use by other officers were coorelated with use by inmates, it is a place devoid of empathy
Case Managment
Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC11 January 2018
Case management, checking clients in, bail supervision, paper work, organizing files, inputting data, clerical work, intakes, putting in breaches and client complaints.
Interesting an challenging place to work.
Corrections Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo2 January 2018
Interesting and challenging working conditions. Lots of training and room for growth in working with various types of people. Shift work could be problematic for some with young families.
Pros
Room for advancement to other areas of the CJS
Cons
Shift work and nature of working environment
Very Poor - Work Life Balance
DATA ENTRY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 August 2017
Data Entry at Provincial Court Criminal is not an ideal career for anyone. All data entry must be done prior to leaving, often working overtime 30 mins - 3 hours while I was there and 1 hour OT was considered normal. The shifts are also not family friendly.
Exciting to be part of a pilot project
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brant, ON27 June 2017
Sometimes programs are created to meet political goals rather than rationally thought out.
This position was an extremely demanding and rewarding opportunity which involved applying most of the skills attained in undergraduate and graduate education.
It was exciting making a program work. Unfortunately the underfunding required too many personal sacrifices for my children to be able to continue it for an extended length of time.
Pros
helping people and building a better community
Cons
lack of personal life
very supportive
Adjudicator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 December 2016
was a fantastic experience completing claims that assisted people who had been injured through no fault of their own. Was able to assess and determine appropriate compensation for each individual
Pros
very supportive work from home
Cons
none at all
Work was routine and institutional. Staff was friendly and supportive.
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Prince George BC10 September 2015
Learned about Correctional Facility policies and procedures, Court Proceedings, Canadian Criminal Codes, liased with RCMP, Probation offices, Sherriff, Crown Council, and Parole Board.
Working with young offenders
Project Turnaround Causal/Part time (Former Employee) –  Hillsdale ontario4 April 2014
Overseeing young offenders in a military boot camp environment
Pros
Great experiance
Cons
facitiy closed due to government funding cut