Ministry of the Attorney General Employee Reviews

Wonderful place to work
Court Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 February 2019
I would be assigned to a courtroom and would set it up for the day, I would give instructions to the members of the public on what they could and couldn't do within the courtroom, I would ensure all rules were followed I would make sure the courtroom was locked during lunch hours and would make sure water jugs were filled for the judges and lawyers, and when court was done for the day I would discard the water in the jugs and things were cleaned within the courtroom and the doors locked for the night.
depending on which location you work at the chemistry between coworkers is great
Court and Client Representative (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 February 2019
I just want to apply for the job posted I don't want to review my employer this is a complete waste of my time and really not beneficial to anyone at all
Pros
unionized position
Cons
very difficult to get permanent full time positions
everyone is nice
Court Officer (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON23 January 2019
its a learning experience, always something new everyday.
the people are nice to work with, but always watch your back.
.........................................................
Pros
free dinners sometimes
Cons
no guaranteed hours
Professional Client Services
Office of the Public Guardian & Trustee (Current Employee) –  London, ON22 January 2019
I enjoy my role within this office. It is a great work experience. This is a challenging role which requires organization, excellent communication skills, superior customer service skills, and attention to financial details.
Needs a lot of work
Court Clerk and Registrar (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 January 2019
This is a very stressful environment to work in. We are under staffed and under paid. This job requires a lot of work. Jobs and work load are not structured properly. Its been a problem for 20+ years and will never change.
Productive workplace with room for improvement
Records Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 January 2019
-Excellent work environment
-Room for progression internally within the provincial government
-Management is helpful in regards to training and motivation
low paying for what we do and advancement is hard
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC13 December 2018
competency based interviews are used in order to move up and you can be doing the job as a TA for the last 10 years and have your job taken from you by someone who has never done the job just because they learned how to do competency based interviews in school. Working for the government is discouraging and beats you down. it is very hard to get ahead.
Very pleasant place to work, engaging with the public and stakeholders.
Civil Registrar and Criminal Court Clerk. (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 November 2018
1) My typical work day can be very challenging as we work with the law and legal documents with the lawyers and judiciary.
2) I'm constantly learning the law and new bills that are procedural in our daily work day.
3) The culture at the workplace can be very challenging, high pressure.
4) The hardest part of the job is the simple fact of, no margin for error.
5) The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I get to help circumnavigate through the ministry, as it can be very challenging for the public.
Pros
Multiple functions that bring us closer as a team and friendships.
Cons
Lack of full time positions
A workplace that is full of positive energy
Paralegal Intern (Current Employee) –  Downsview, Toronto, ON2 November 2018
I worked at the Family Responsibility Office, representing the Director on the disputes with defaulting child and spousal support payors. I went to courts with the counsels fro Default Hearings and drafted and sent court orders and I also sent letters of NOn-attendance to the Respondents, courts and lawyers
Student Assistance
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 August 2018
Great people and great facility! Proper and efficient is conducted with friendly employees and people who know what they are doing. You can expect a lot of fast pace working and diverse customers of which customer service skills is necessary.
Love the job, hated the management
Court Clerk and Court Reporter (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON27 August 2018
I worked as a clerk and court reporter, mainly in Superior Court.
I absolutely loved this job, it was a little challenging but rewarding. Management in my location was terrible though, as was opportunity for growth. I was permanent part time, with unreliable hours, and it's hard to live like that. Some weeks I would have 6 hours, some I would have 38.
I didn't get benefits or vacations.

I did get a lot of valuable office experience, and I learned a lot about our justice system.

The hourly rate of pay was pretty decent, if you could get full time hours.

There were cons, such as road trips to small surrounding cities to hold court. These were irritating and a lot of set up and take down.
Pros
A new different challenge and situation every day
Cons
No guaranteed hours, no benefits, union largely ineffective
Training as a Court Reporter
Authorized Court Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 May 2018
Started training as a court reporter. Very supportive co-workers and supervisor. Great experience to see what goes on in the courtroom, but was very busy.
Great learning experience
Field Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON18 April 2018
Field Placement Position (120-hour requirement as completed by 19/05/2009). Ministry of the Attorney General, Oshawa Courthouse,
Criminal – April to May 2009
Primary responsibilities included working on dockets and administrative documents, filing, copying and retrieving criminal informations,
archival docket work in order to retrieve the necessary documentation to grant pardons.
Intern in MAG
Issues Coordinator (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 April 2018
The experience was not that great. People don't talk much with each other. Not of much help either.

I didn't get much to learn over there. Too much of politics for keeping the positions.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Politics. not much growth.
Serving the public
Adjudicator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 April 2018
There are tremendous professional and personal growth opportunities in this exciting and rewarding Ministry. It is rewarding and challenging serving the public.
Varied work environment
CERTIFIED TRANSCRIPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 December 2017
Working in a legal environment provided much learning opportunities, as well as working with a variety of court staff and the judiciary. I enjoyed working independently.
Pros
Learning in a work environment
Cons
Unpredictable hours
Efficient and friendly work environment
Administrative Coordinator (Field Placement) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 September 2017
I completed a field placement after the completion of my post-graduate accelerated law clerk program, and the staff members at the office were all so friendly and helpful in every way possible. I has nothing short of a super positive experience
Productive workplace
Facility Manager/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 September 2017
I learned a second language, legal terminology, processes and procedures through my work with the Ministry. Management was eager to create learning opportunities through job shadowing and allowing staff to attend training. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting the general public and meeting their needs.
Pros
Continued learning
Cons
Not enough job openings
Prestigious position
Court Reporter (Current Employee) –  London, ON24 August 2017
I work in the courtroom recording the proceedings held in court that day. The hardest part of the job is hearing witnesses testifying about child abuse or animal abuse or anything unjustly done. I have learned that people still lie even though they are swearing on a Bible not to do so. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing justice done.
Pros
Work for prestigious company
Cons
Don't always see justice done
Court reporter
Court Reporter (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON12 July 2017
Great experience to the legal field but since I am unclassified, I do not get benefits. The environment is very pleasant. Every day is different. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get to meet new people on a daily basis.