Ministry of the Attorney General

Ministry of the Attorney General Employee Reviews

Canada69 reviews
Excellent
Great opportunity for anyone looking to get some legal experience. You work very closely with judges, justices of the peace, and crown attorneys. It was also very eye-opening in that you are exposed to extraordinary criminal matters.
Government jobs are overrated.
Would not recommend working here. Most of the interviews are for contract jobs. It is highly competitive. There is a lot of office politics and favoritism involved.
Pros & Cons
Pays well, but there are no benefits and no paid sick days or vacation. You move around and cover different departments when court finishes early. A little disorganised, and not thorough enough training. You will be hired on a contract, the contract renews after every 5-6 month period, this way they don't have to give you benefits, and don't hold your breath on becoming a full time employee because there are people there over 5 years and still considered "contract employees".
I started in one department then was asked to assist in another
I was very busy every day. I worked with a really good supervisor. The departments I was in became a placement where I was asked to travel and work with many legal court liaisons.
Seems like it would be a good job...
... if only they would give you the opportunity to work full time. If you get it, you are set. But when you do get it, you'll more than likely be unsatisfied. There is absolutely no management and you are left to manage yourself. It's chaotic and not positive atmosphere. I tried to be positive and it just got whittled away day by day. If you don't want full time, you are set, but if you have a mortgage to pay and kids to feed, find another job.
Daily Conversations/Opinions on Difficult Court Cases
I found that the Staff was so indulged in conversing about Court Cases, it became a bit Monotonous and quite frankly boring.

There could be more interesting conversations about Life and other Cultural experiences.
An excellent but challenging place to work
9-5 hours, stable. No weekends.

It was a pleasure working for the Crown Attorney's office. Management were helpful and growth focused.

Subject matter of cases can be triggering or challenging at times
Productive and supportive work environment
Working with the Attorney General has been a rewarding experience. It was not a repetitive job, everyday brought something different and challenged your abilities. There is always on line training to be completed to ensure knowledge was up to date with disabilities, workplace discrimination and harassment, etc. New procedures and protocols would change often.
The most enjoyable part of this position is we all worked as a team and very supportive to help others.
Excellent place to learn. Friendly atmosphere.
Very friendly and easy place to learn. Varied work experience, you learn a little of everything. This place is a great place to learn the basics needed to file matters and the process that takes place.
Great coworkers
Great place to work. Overall, the organization is pretty busy and fast-paced.A great place to work in. The location is commutable for Londoners and surrounding cities.
Toxic work environment
i would not suggest working with the ministry. My supervisor was useless.
Hours vary, no benefits, paid vacation, etc until you are a permanent full time. which doesn't happen very often.

the stress is not worth the pay
Need full time
It's a great job but to get hired full time takes a lot. Not much opportunities arise. On-call is available and you may work the full time hours but do not get benefits.
Standard 9-5 office job
Standard office job. Decent pay and obviously since you're working for the government, the benefits and job security is there. Work life always depends on who is working in your dept.
Court Client Representative
No day is ever the same. It is interesting work but can be stressful - you hear about the horrible things people are capable of doing - see a lot of mental illness, addiction issues. It can be very emotionally exhausting. Management is not good - they hire people who are close friends and keep them on when they can't do the job - you shouldn't be training in the same courtroom for 10 months and still screwing up. Also, bring people back on accommodation and let them train for jobs that aren't even part of their job description - i.e. court clerk now training as a court services officer - not in their original job description - has to be union issues there. Management lets some of the staff run the place instead of disciplining them - very toxic work environment.
Pros
Every day is different
Cons
Dealing with terrible management and being around criminals
It was a good place to work but it was a contract job that is why I left, I found full time work. It was very busy on occasion and would have been nice to have someone to work with.
Wonderful place to work
I would be assigned to a courtroom and would set it up for the day, I would give instructions to the members of the public on what they could and couldn't do within the courtroom, I would ensure all rules were followed I would make sure the courtroom was locked during lunch hours and would make sure water jugs were filled for the judges and lawyers, and when court was done for the day I would discard the water in the jugs and things were cleaned within the courtroom and the doors locked for the night.
depending on which location you work at the chemistry between coworkers is great
I just want to apply for the job posted I don't want to review my employer this is a complete waste of my time and really not beneficial to anyone at all
Pros
unionized position
Cons
very difficult to get permanent full time positions
everyone is nice
its a learning experience, always something new everyday.
the people are nice to work with, but always watch your back.

.........................................................
Pros
free dinners sometimes
Cons
no guaranteed hours
Professional Client Services
I enjoy my role within this office. It is a great work experience. This is a challenging role which requires organization, excellent communication skills, superior customer service skills, and attention to financial details.
Needs a lot of work
This is a very stressful environment to work in. We are under staffed and under paid. This job requires a lot of work. Jobs and work load are not structured properly. Its been a problem for 20+ years and will never change.
Productive workplace with room for improvement
-Excellent work environment
-Room for progression internally within the provincial government

-Management is helpful in regards to training and motivation
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ministry of the Attorney General. Our community is ready to answer.