Ministry of Natural Resources Employee Reviews

Summer Student
Administrative Assistant (summer) (Former Employee) –  Dryden, ON26 February 2019
- they treat you normally like a kid here at this job depending what division your in
- lots of gossip
- low quality of work life
- high quality projects and training
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Hard to advance
great job
PEAK WORK LOAD FIREFIGHTER (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ON30 January 2019
great job just tough to get on and the shifts could last up to 12 hours depending on the fire but it's all worth it when you get your pay, the staff was great as well
Pros
pay
Good work culture
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 December 2018
Full of smart, competent and friendly people. Good work/life balance with lots of training opportunities. Secure, unionized position. Found it difficult to advance .
Amazing group of people to work with and an amazing experience
Medic (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON15 February 2018
I had the honour of being out there for only a short week but met some amazing people and learned a whole new aspect of team work and emergency response planning.
Productive Workplace
Stewardship Youth Ranger (Former Employee) –  Nipigon, ON12 January 2018
various jobs to gain experience as a student, brood stocking, Silviculture Effectiveness Monitoring, Wood Turtle Surveys, Species at Risk projects, park maintenance, seine/gill netting, rehabilitating Species at Risk habitats, compliance orders, compliance aerial flights
Pros
Lots of Experience
RT1/RT2 Forest Fire Fighter
RT2 Crew Boss - Forest Fire Fighter (Former Employee) –  Sioux Lookout, ON16 October 2017
Exciting summer job. Work hard and work as a team. Always working hard on the job. Attaining chainsaw certification, hover exit from helicopters. Learn the proper way to lay hose, start pumps and attack a fire.
Job was Great
PEAK WORK LOAD FIREFIGHTER (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ON22 September 2017
I was only hired for a month, but the job was great. Management was nice and made sure you understood how to do your job before putting you in any dangerous situation.
Pros
salary started at 21$/hour
Cons
could be gone for 14 days at a time
Great job opportunities
RT-2 (Former Employee) –  Ontario22 February 2017
There are great jobs within in the organization, great work environments, always looked forward to going to work, included a lot of hands of practical work always being outside not behind a desk.
Excellent Service to Wasaga Beach Visitors especially in the Summer Months
Park Attendant (Former Employee) –  Wasaga Beach, ON8 February 2017
A typical day at work would be to litter pick the 6 beaches, rake the beach, litter pick the 6 parks, clean the public washrooms, clean fire pits, test the water, greet visitors at the various park entrances and collect the park fees, write reports and submit park fees to office. As well we would look for things that need to be fixed. Health and Safety training was important and the Ministry provided this for us each season. I learned how to work individually and as a team. I love working in a customer service capacity so I really enjoyed people stopping me and asking me questions about the park and places they could visit in the area.
Tough and exciting
Summer Labourer (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON3 November 2016
Working as a labourer at the Ministry, was very tough and fun. Very long hours and working in cold water a lot. We worked 12 hour days, 7 days a week and was one of the best jobs I have ever had.
Pros
Cons
Working in cold water
Helping to prevent forest fires
Auxiliary Fire Staff (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON28 July 2016
Working long hours doing hard physical labour sure helps to get you into shape! We tested all the fire equipment that would come back from the front lines, and made sure it was cleaned and repaired before it was shipped back out. Working such long hours would also help you get to know the people you worked with quite well. Management was great, always getting involved in our jobs and never making us do something that they wouldn't do themselves. The hardest part of the job was working really long hours for 3 weeks at a time with only 1 or 2 days off in between. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers. I have lifelong friends from working for the MNR.
Pros
Work with great people
Cons
Productive and Fun Filled Job!
Summer Help. (Former Employee) –  Grey Lake, ON10 January 2016
Loved this summer job!
Lots of variety and learned alot of new skills that will stay with me for life.
Management was fantastic to work with.
Co-workers were great and some became life long friends.
Hardest part of job was fire fighting. Didn't reaslise you would get a burn, like a sunburn, from trying to put out a fire.
Enjoyed flying in helicopter to help restalk lakes with young fish.
Pros
Ever changing work enviroment.
Cons
End of summer!
Working at Algonquin Park has provided me with many skills in planning, supervising, maintenance, and endurance.
Canoe Route Technician (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON7 January 2016
The role of Canoe Route Technician involves camping, canoeing, and portaging in all weather conditions throughout Algonquin Park. A typical day would involve planning a route through the park to conduct maintenance as well as organizing and instructing the maintenance students in a way that maximizes productivity but still ensure their safety. The hardest part of the job is extreme weather and temperature conditions, insects, and long camping trips. Although these prove to be tough, working hard to complete a task while being able to camp and enjoy nature is truly rewarding. The skills I have learned while working in Algonquin park are incomparable.
Pros
Meal compensation
Good experience
Cochrane, Junior Ranger (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ON4 December 2015
Very fun to learn about plants and species. It was a good experience because I learned a lot about fish, animals, plants, trees, etc.
Pros
A lot of learning
Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
Assistant Fisheries Technician/ Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nipigon, ON14 October 2015
Surveying anglers
sampling different fish species
lab work identifying small invertebrates
office duties
filing/photocopying
answer phones
complete projects assigned
complete necessary training
Gate Attendant
Gate Attendant (Former Employee) –  Massassauga Provincial Park10 September 2015
In charge of all general inquiries. Complete process of signing all campers in and out of the park, proper site registration, in charge of canoe rentals.
Pros
Working outdoors in nature.
Cons
seasonal position.
Great organization with an emphasis on professional development
Student Experience Opportunity, Section Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON17 June 2015
The opportunities for professional development were extensive and a great way for employees to advance their skills. The job culture was inclusive, fun and engaging with "treat days" and charity events regularly throughout the months. The training offered by managers was thorough and helpful, and co-workers were always pleasant and willing to assist each other regardless of projects or different work priorities.
Pros
treat days, professional development, charity events, team building activities, student experience opportunities
Cons
job security, job elimination, changing priorities for projects
Very exciting rewarding position
Forest Fire Suppression Forestry Technician (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON1 June 2015
The culture and respect working with your collogues was very rewarding. Work crews did work as a team because each team member was very much depended on each other. I learn self confidence and how to depend on others while others depended on me. This position help me develop some of my very basic values in life and work ethics.
Pros
Exciting rewarding employement
Cons
Long hours and at times in dangerous conditions
easy going fun
Fisheries Technician (Former Employee) –  Tilbury, ON28 April 2015
long hours outside in the sun or cold
smelly fish, dirty feet
indoor data entry less exciting but important
management was wonderful and so was my team
loved every part of it
Hard work but rewarding
Youth Ranger (Former Employee) –  Fort Frances, ON4 March 2015
I loved working for the MNR. There was always new jobs to do. I had a great crew and even when issues occurred we did not let it interfere with our work. I received plenty of training from working here for the summer.
Pros
Working outdoors
Cons
Only a summer job