Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Excellent work environment
Policy Advisor (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON2 June 2018
Great work environment and culture, and for the most part staff are passionate about their jobs. Working for the ministry allows you to have an impact on how natural resources are managed in the province.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Very structured
Productive, well organized
Junior Ranger (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON22 May 2018
Great environment with well-trained management who teach on the job in all kinds of outdoor environments. Safety and health always most important with staff.
A great learning experience!
Stewardship Youth Ranger (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON30 April 2018
We learned new skills and information about forestry related jobs every work day. The tasks we performed were fun and challenging. Overall a very beneficial experience!
Very welcoming, Friendly, work enviroment.
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Red Lake, ON26 March 2018
Park Staff are very friendly and are willing to help anyone( Tourist, customers, other staff). The manager is very friendly and I can't say that I have had any problems working there at all. If I could I would work there again.
Pros
Great pay, amazing experience and a lot of job skills that you can gain.
Cons
Work environment and conditions (on trips into park it tends to get wet alot).
Interesting job
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Porcupine, ON3 February 2018
This was my first real/full-time job. It taught me a lot about time management, reliability and responsibility. It helped me feel confident in my working abilities and allowed me to experience the work life.
Productive workplace
Assistant Resource Management Technician (Former Employee) –  Nipigon, ON12 January 2018
creek rehabilitation, siene/gill netting, campground restoration, compliance orders, compliance aerial flights, species at risk projects, park maintenance
Great environment to work in.
Maintenance Foreman (Former Employee) –  Vermilion Bay, ON31 December 2017
Working outside in a little piece of paradise is how I'd describe the park. Management is very proactive. Safety is number one. The position was very busy always something to do. Staff second to none.
Pros
Fresh air!
Cons
For me to far from home.
Very interesting to work for
GIS and Wildlife Biologist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON11 November 2017
You work with so many interesting people doing a lot of cool projects but can be stuck behind a desk for long periods of time. Enjoyable work environment and field work that can take you to interesting places.
Secure but on contract
Resource Management Clerk (Current Employee) –  Midhurst, ON8 November 2017
Wish i could have gotten a permanent position.Was hired on contract, but the job itself was great, culture was great, and location was close to home, outside of the GTA.
Resource Technician 2 ( Crew Boss) (Current Employee) –  Dryden, ON21 October 2017
The MNR is a great place to work. There is always a friendly atmosphere at work and everyone is happy to be there for the most part. It is an awesome gig, not too many other jobs involve climbing out of helicopters to fight fire.
Enjoyable place to work and great place to gain experience
Student (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON19 September 2017
I learned about GIS and mapping techniques as well as how to install and set up traffic counters. Excellent work environment but possibility of long hours.
meh
Policy Advisor (Current Employee) –  peterborough21 June 2017
Not a lot of work is done. Meetings drag on and on. Super inefficient. Everyone just has to input their opinions about the littlest things.

Diversity and inclusion? Peterborough tends to be inclusive of white people with disabilities.
Pros
free food
Cons
inefficient work, wasted time
Good location.
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC12 June 2017
It was average for a small office receiption position. Nothing was too hectic or stressful.
I learned about the internal process within the BC Government.
The work culture was difficult for the reason that there were both full time staff and seasonal staff.
Pros
BBQ on Wednesday lunch
Cons
Unstable terms
Unique work enviroment
Gate Attendant (Former Employee) –  Grand Bend, ON11 March 2017
Fun place to work. A lot of alone work. Busy most of your shift. Fun work environment. Excellent training. Supervisors can be rude at some points and unhelpful.
Great Team environment
Acting Lands and Water Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Frances, ON26 February 2017
You work as a unit with the MNRF, it offers a great learning environment where questions are always welcome. There are always challenges to face, whether it is with respect to the difficulty of a project or working with the public, but you can always rely of your colleagues to help.
an enjoyable work exsperience
Ministry of Environment Stewardship Youth Ranger (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON29 September 2016
I enjoyed not working the same place every day or doing the same things. I find it is more enjoyable to go to different areas, meet different people, and solve different problems. I like problem solving and collaboration, which both were very present in the work we took part in.
Pros
stable hours 8am-4pm every day
Productive, great employees, very caring and overall a very good job
Customer Service Clerk/Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Red Lake, ON4 September 2016
Administrative work including data entry, mail preparation, helping customers with questions, filing, etc. Occasional field studies, worked alongside a great staff.
Pros
Good work day
Cons
Short contract
Wonderful Work Environment
Resource Clerk (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON6 July 2016
Great place to work, wish there was more job security. Excellent location and close amenities. Also interesting and fun. Wonderful charity involvement.
Great Work Environment
Steward Youth Ranger (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON8 March 2016
By far the most fun summer of my life. Going to work was not a chore in the slightest. Getting up in the morning was exciting and the wonder of what we would do next, invigorating.
Pros
Great community
Wonderful experience
Forest Ranger (Former Employee) –  Aylmer, ON21 February 2016
Being a junior forest ranger was the best job. Great experience with team work. Wonderful exposure to Ontario's natural resources