Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry

Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry Employee Reviews

Canada37 reviews
Everyone at MNRF was friendly and helpful. The pay matched the job well and was liveable. The management was great and respectful even during a management switch due to original Manager retiring.
The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry is an excellent provider of rich opportunities to learn and gain valuable experience to grow skill sets and prepare for jobs ahead.
Great place to work. I have developed so many new skills in such a short time! Everyone is so friendly and helpful! Amazing opportunities! Only downside is that its contract work unless you can get hired on permanently.
Awesome manager (my branch), awesome experience, excellent development. Supervisor cares about career development and strives to give employees a good experience at the office
Management is amazing but seem to hire unskilled, ill equiped personel unless thats just all millennials
Other than staff, the harassment and lack of skill and experience its a great job and great place to be
Pros
Great job
Cons
People suck, harassment in the workplace is off the charts
- Great summer job for students
- Opportunities to expand skillsets including operating small engines, chainsaws, and power tools

- Long hours and irregular work schedule makes it difficult to have a work life balance
A bit monotonous when you are stuck on the same project for the whole contract, but if you're able to get put on different projects, it's a great way to get experience with different things (ie. handbaiting, aerial baiting, trapping experience, bat surveys, lab time, etc.). You get to see different types of local wildlife and telling people you get to see raccoons daily is always cool.
It's often long/odd hours but has been a learning experience, but it's a contract position, so after your contract it up, you're looking for work again.
Pros
rabies vaccine covered, working with variety of wildlife, experience with different projects, aiding awareness of rabies prevention
Cons
long hours, risk to health/safety, no benefits, contract position, sometimes get stuck on only a few projects
Was very educational and you feel as if you are part of a community who works hard together in keeping our environment safe. I loved having a job that was outdoors all the time and is great for people who don't mind getting a bit dirty.
the workplace is great place to be and the people are great, fun and awesome. the place is great with learning new things and trained just about everything
The position that I was employed was one of the greatest experiences of my life. The job was hands-on and fun. I enjoyed experiencing a new adventure every day was really great co-workers.
Lots of opportunities to be involved with initiatives. Tons of learning opportunities for new employees. Bosses are very helpful and willing to teach.
A great place to work and friendly employees. There is always work to be done and room to grow and learn. I enjoyed working for the MNRF and they were the begging to my career.
Really enjoyed the staff, environment, and job duties. I have been trained, and have learnt a lot while being apart of the park atmosphere, great environment to work in
A typical day as a Resource Technician/ Park Warden in one of the busiest enforcement parks in Ontario would be protection, maintaining the environmental integrity of the ecosystem within the park system and ensure the people visiting the park are safe and secure and enjoy the natural resources for future generations. I have learned for this job the ability to think quick on my feet and deal with almost every kind of situation in any environment. The hardest part of the job would be the schedule, management looks at the shifts being covered and not that a person has worked a particular shift all summer or for 10 days straight. Best part of the job is making people happy after they have had a bad experience.
Pros
Excellent experience
Cons
Schedule and career advancement
Diverse tasks, self management essential, good people skills essential. Professionalism and discretion is a must, and must be self driven to work here.
Pros
Professional environment
Cons
long days sitting
Great work environment and culture, and for the most part staff are passionate about their jobs. Working for the ministry allows you to have an impact on how natural resources are managed in the province.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Very structured
Great environment with well-trained management who teach on the job in all kinds of outdoor environments. Safety and health always most important with staff.
We learned new skills and information about forestry related jobs every work day. The tasks we performed were fun and challenging. Overall a very beneficial experience!
Park Staff are very friendly and are willing to help anyone( Tourist, customers, other staff). The manager is very friendly and I can't say that I have had any problems working there at all. If I could I would work there again.
Pros
Great pay, amazing experience and a lot of job skills that you can gain.
Cons
Work environment and conditions (on trips into park it tends to get wet alot).
This was my first real/full-time job. It taught me a lot about time management, reliability and responsibility. It helped me feel confident in my working abilities and allowed me to experience the work life.
creek rehabilitation, siene/gill netting, campground restoration, compliance orders, compliance aerial flights, species at risk projects, park maintenance