Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing

Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing Employee Reviews

Canada13 reviews
The job was flexible and it was a learning experience.
Team members were very friendly. It felt like working with close friends

Very good work life balance
Very positive environment with supportive team members.
Pros
Great team and positive vibes
Cons
No job security for contract workers...very few full time positions available
I learned a lot about the 445 municipalities in Ontario and got to work with them on a daily basis.

The training was done on a 1-to-1 basis and was very effective.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the municipalities. The least enjoyable part was doing the receptionist position.
Pros
Very friendly staff
Cons
Long work hours
It was a great place to work and I learned a great deal from this internship position. It was a really great place to learn about planning policy and policy direction.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Lack of direction
Extensive and complex Calendar management, learnt OPSEU protocols and how the Government, Management was great and the workplace culture exhibited a great camaraderie. The hardest part of the job was the packages which were urgent and had to be moved and monitored from desk to desk. The most enjoyable part of the job was that the staff was very friendly and ever willing to assist.
Pros
Cons
Being a Ministry job, there was no possibility of working longer due to the influx of secondments.
Team lead provided great motivation to staff and made working a pleasure. No project was hard because the Team lead provided assistance and guidance whenever required.
Pros
Great place to learn and grow
Cons
contract ended too soon
OPS is a great place to work, supported by a union. Work is manageable, but if in finance can get demanding around budget times. good employees, fun work, a little bureaucratic.
Strong management, very IT oriented, this Ministry was one of the first to use mainframes and outsource major IT components to a third party IT service company to increase savings without major investments (e.g hiring additional staff, software)
Pros
IT oriented
Cons
union shop
Very busy place to work.
Private place to work.

Very Prductive and easy place to work!
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing?
First time on Co-Op work. Learn help to filled out the conservation Land Forms. Report and recorded data and summarized with the computer.
This was a great learning experience for myself as I had never worked in this kind of setting before. All of my co-workers were willing to open up about their experiences and give me great feedback, which was appreciated. Every day in the office was different; some days were slower than others. The hardest part of the job was being able to sit down one-on-one with all of the co-workers as they had a lot of work to do. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people everyday and hearing their stories about how they got to where they are.
Mostly worked on research projects assigned to me by other co-workers.

I learned how to survive and thrive in an office environment.

Once I got to know them, management were friendly and participated in staff events.

Co-workers were focused on their work, and they are fun to be with. Admin staff are very caring and motherly.

Hardest Part - Adjusting to a professional work environment

Enjoyable Part - I loved working in downtown Toronto. I enjoyed having pie and cake with my co-workers every Friday afternoon.
Pros
slow paced environment made it an excellent entry level job, weekly staff gatherings with food, fun and caring co-workers
Cons
cushy job
It's been the best job I've ever had. My term as an intern is almost done, I would like to extend my work in the Ministry, but of course it is not in my hands.