Ministry of Government and Consumer Services Employee Reviews

Good and friendly environment
QA Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 August 2018
I worked tghere as a Consultant just for a short period of time. Loved working there, great people, good location, interestibng projects.
However, all of the projects are now on hold and who knows when projects will come back.
Excellent experience
Data Analyst/Programmer (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON7 August 2018
It is a typical government ministry work environment, slow pace, friendly co-worker and management.
Pay well, good benefits, lots of learning opportunities.
Very good place to work
Form specialist (Current Employee) –  North York, ON3 August 2018
I love to work in MGCS. It’s an amazing place to work. I got to work with wonderful leaders who gave me opportunity and platform to work with my full potential.
Pros
Peaceful, respectful environment. Very healthy place to work
Cons
Less opportunity for advancement and professional growth
Productive and Great Culture
Office Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON31 July 2018
I learned to organize and prioritize tasks well with the Government.

The workplace culture was terrific and it was an overall great place to work.

The best part of my position was that all colleagues treated everyone with respect.
A great place to start
SENIOR BUSINESS CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 July 2018
Can learn a lot at this ministry. Many opportunities to move laterally and horizontally - must put in your effort. Key advice is to find the right manager/executive you will be willing to invest in you.
Overall great
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  North York, ON14 July 2018
Really great place to work.There is an easy workload and alot of support if oyu have any questions there are staff willing to assist with any needs you may have.
N/a
Administration Assistant (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 June 2018
• Prepared executive letters, memoranda, policy proposals, confidential materials for projects, papers, correspondence, briefing notes, reports, data for presentation using various application and interpretation of oral and hand written documents
• Provided guidance to managers and team leads on human resources, including: position management; WEAR completion; offer letters, processes, branch WIN requestor;
• Developed a CEHSW New Hire checklist (a To-Do list to assists managers/team lists on the hiring process) and a CEHSW Employee Departure Checklist (resigning, transfer, retirement)
• Maintained the manager’s appointment schedule alerted appropriate staff to matters requiring urgent attention
• Prepared background material for meetings and seminars and collecting correspondence, files, facts briefing notes, extracts from relevant legislation from standard reference sources and appropriate ministry staff to assist the manager and staff in preparing for meetings and reports
• Assisted with job competition coordination: reviewed and analyzed interview screening results to verify accuracy, contact candidates to arrange interview times, prepared selection tools, arranged logistics and disability related accommodations (as required)
• Updated a computer based tracking system and hard copy files for records, correspondence and inquiries
• Utilized database and spreadsheet software to maintain records and prepare reports
• Provided services such as making travel and accommodation arrangements, confirmed invoices and travel expense claims, preparation of purchase orders,
  more... maintaining adequate levels of office supplies and ensuring office equipment was in good working order.
• Provided orientation and training to support staff, temporary and summer students
• Managed and tracked financial transactions, budget forecasting and reconciliation.
great office enviroment
Junior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 May 2018
it was a great place to work at they taught me alot of organizational skills, it was a great office enviroment, my coworkers were very curteous and treated me with respect.
Productive and challenging workplace
Surplus Assets Management - on various assignments (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 April 2018
> A good workplace providing opportunities for skills improvement and career advancement

> Improves my management skills

> Improves my communication and customer service skills
Pros
Good benefits and opportunity for career advancement
Cons
Decent job but poor environment and management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto - College Park9 February 2018
Typical day is completing transactions for public needs @ Service Ontaro.

Job is very repetitive but the day goes by fast. You're only guaranteed a minimum of 18 hrs to start but you get more at this location. You have many different people to deal with so somedays are good and some bad. Environment is toxic for fixed term employees - Some staff members can be difficult to deal, if you start in the afternoon, you often can't find a seat.

There is a lot of politics you don't know about in til you start that job. Half of the staff try to accomodate and make exceptions for the public where possible and the other half make it extremely difficult... Which means the team is not on the same page and depending on who you are partnered with, it can be a long and frustarting day.

Managers are nice for the most part but they are clueless about process and procedures or even how to use any of the systems. If you have a question don't bother asking any of them for assistance because they'll just ask your co-workers or SME.

There is definetly growth potential and the ability to move around. Pay is good and benefits are so-so for fixed term employees. Overall not a bad place to work because of the pay but I was disappointed. There are also a few really cool people to work with. Training was not that great as well. Very rushed, disorganized and minimal support.
Pros
Pay, some benefits, hours
Cons
Part time, contract, environment, training
Good COmpany
Revenue and Compensation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON22 August 2017
Great management. Equal opportunities.
OSS is great at developing your skillset and provides ample opportunities to grow and a blossom.

Great Ontario Government Body.
Great project to work for
OBIEE Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 May 2017
Oracle BI implementation. Great tools and excellent exposure for this project. Very good balance between personal life and professional. That's all....
It's always nice when we all get together to organize learning shops and play simple games.
Records and Mail Clerk (A) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2017
I started to work for the Ministry of Government since November 9th 2015 and it has been a very rewarding experience. My department deals with a lot of public documentations and it is a challenge everyday. you learn something new each day and it helps you in future so that if any situations come up, I am prepared. I have learned so much in regards to the different types of documents we receive everyday and it can be quite a challenge. I am most willing to do whatever it takes to do my job as efficiently and effectively as I could.The fun part is dealing with the other departments because it's like a chain, what we do in my department (Records and Mail Department) affects the other department.
This is a really nice environment to work in.
Pros
Dealing with new documents each day.
Cons
The amount of workload being handled.
great organization culture
Resource Acquisition Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2015
supportive and fun environment. a lot of emphasis on Learning and development of employees. 100's of courses online and in person offered to enhance career growth opportunities. Awesome team dynamics
Pros
good benefits
good place for working
System Tester (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 September 2015
system tester for testing government application. I am learning automatic and manual testing for application including web, mobile, back server. All the co workers are very nice and good team work.
Good work experience
HR Program Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2015
Provides exposure to broad areas of work in the opportunity to develop broad set of skills. Culture can be very rigid and very diverse.
Pros
good experience
Cons
limits use of innovation and creativity
Good placement
HR Advisor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oshawa Ontario27 March 2015
I did a placement here and it was a wonderful work environment and helped me future my career. The HR team here was great and if you have a chance to work for the Ontario government I suggest do it