Ministry of Government and Consumer Services Employee Reviews

Productive and challenging workplace
Surplus Assets Management - on various assignments (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 April 2018
> A good workplace providing opportunities for skills improvement and career advancement

> Improves my management skills

> Improves my communication and customer service skills
Pros
Good benefits and opportunity for career advancement
Cons
Decent job but poor environment and management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto - College Park9 February 2018
Typical day is completing transactions for public needs @ Service Ontaro.

Job is very repetitive but the day goes by fast. You're only guaranteed a minimum of 18 hrs to start but you get more at this location. You have many different people to deal with so somedays are good and some bad. Environment is toxic for fixed term employees - Some staff members can be difficult to deal, if you start in the afternoon, you often can't find a seat.

There is a lot of politics you don't know about in til you start that job. Half of the staff try to accomodate and make exceptions for the public where possible and the other half make it extremely difficult... Which means the team is not on the same page and depending on who you are partnered with, it can be a long and frustarting day.

Managers are nice for the most part but they are clueless about process and procedures or even how to use any of the systems. If you have a question don't bother asking any of them for assistance because they'll just ask your co-workers or SME.

There is definetly growth potential and the ability to move around. Pay is good and benefits are so-so for fixed term employees. Overall not a bad place to work because of the pay but I was disappointed. There are also a few really cool people to work with. Training was not that great as well. Very rushed, disorganized and minimal support.
Pros
Pay, some benefits, hours
Cons
Part time, contract, environment, training
Good COmpany
Revenue and Compensation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON22 August 2017
Great management. Equal opportunities.
OSS is great at developing your skillset and provides ample opportunities to grow and a blossom.

Great Ontario Government Body.
Great project to work for
OBIEE Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 May 2017
Oracle BI implementation. Great tools and excellent exposure for this project. Very good balance between personal life and professional. That's all....
It's always nice when we all get together to organize learning shops and play simple games.
Records and Mail Clerk (A) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2017
I started to work for the Ministry of Government since November 9th 2015 and it has been a very rewarding experience. My department deals with a lot of public documentations and it is a challenge everyday. you learn something new each day and it helps you in future so that if any situations come up, I am prepared. I have learned so much in regards to the different types of documents we receive everyday and it can be quite a challenge. I am most willing to do whatever it takes to do my job as efficiently and effectively as I could.The fun part is dealing with the other departments because it's like a chain, what we do in my department (Records and Mail Department) affects the other department.
This is a really nice environment to work in.
Pros
Dealing with new documents each day.
Cons
The amount of workload being handled.
great organization culture
Resource Acquisition Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2015
supportive and fun environment. a lot of emphasis on Learning and development of employees. 100's of courses online and in person offered to enhance career growth opportunities. Awesome team dynamics
Pros
good benefits
good place for working
System Tester (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 September 2015
system tester for testing government application. I am learning automatic and manual testing for application including web, mobile, back server. All the co workers are very nice and good team work.
Good work experience
HR Program Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2015
Provides exposure to broad areas of work in the opportunity to develop broad set of skills. Culture can be very rigid and very diverse.
Pros
good experience
Cons
limits use of innovation and creativity