Ministry of Finance Employee Reviews

Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON28 November 2013
Worked my first co-op term there and had a great manager. All the other co-workers were extremely friendly. Laid back environment with a great overall atmosphere.
Moderately a fun place to work with annual sports day activities
Audit Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON25 July 2013
Auditing as career is very dynamic. As such, a typical day at work is very exciting and challenging. There is usually lots to do in terms of audit planning, risk analysis, excueting and reporting on audit conducted. Audit is not only concerned with accounting, statistics and maths, it is also about business management, project management, interpersonal relationships, every type of analysis and the list goes on.

As a part of management I thrived to build an inclusive management culture which was embraced in the Unit I worked. The result of this type of managemnt provided an environment where the comaradrie in the office was at an exceptionally high level. Employees outside of the unit regularly compliment us for our stable working einvironment. This was largely to due my contribution as an Audit Supervisor, assisting the Chief Internal Auditor in the management of the Unit. Based on this experience I learnt that including staff at all levels in the decision making activities of the Unit is empowering for them and rewarding for the Unit.

The hardest part of the job was having to perform our jobs without the the necessary resources. For example the Ministry purchased auditing software for which the foundations were not adequately laid for the software to be used productively. This was hard as with the high volume of data in manual form and not electronically held it became difficult to examine and report on findings with a high level of accuracy. Another hard part is the development of the audit report as the tone of the report is crucial for its acceptance by management
  more... or the auditee.

The appreciation of management and improvements in effectiveness and efficieny in systems and procedures encourages us a team and goes a long way in inspiring us for the next assignment. This for me is the most enjoyable part of the job. Another enjoyable part is meeting new and interesting people and going to new places and learning new things on a regular basis. All this is the nature of the job.
Pros
Interperosnal relationships, employees benefit, job stability, training privileges, loan opportunities and so on.
Cons
Low wages, unfair pay scales
Very Busy Workplace
ACTING OFFICE MANAGER - TEMPORARY ASSIGNMENT (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 January 2013
Running financial reports, reconciling between reports and invoices, contracts, etc.

Attending to employee's needs in regards to access to various computer applications. Purchases - furniture, and other office supplies.

A fair amount of human resource type of work, filling out forms for new employees. Leave management, entering time on line, vacation, sick days.
Pros
the work variety
Cons
not enough training
Never a dull moment
Finance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 October 2012
I assisted counsel with a wide variety of matters, including the following: received, tracked and distributed mail, tracked all correspondence using the computer system, received incoming calls, greeted visitors, responded to general inquiries, liaised with other government officials, suppliers and the general public, basic accounting practices with respect to verification and reconciliation of invoices, travel claims and reports, and monitored processes relating to purchasing and budgeting. During this time, I have gained the following skills and experience:

• Communication and Interpersonal Skills (interpersonal, oral and
written communication skills, communicate with counsel in writing
as well as by telephone/in person, providing follow-up disclosure,
and inquire about admission of non-contentious evidence, ability to
work independently and as a team member with minimal
supervision, communicate with agencies to ensure up-to-date
information is maintained with respect to their needs)
• Administrative, Planning, Organizational and Reasoning Skills
(time management, determining work priorities amongst conflicting
demands, file/calendar management)
• Analytical, Problem-Solving and Evaluation Skills (research and
assessment of information to draft background materials and
correspondence, disclosure, pre-trials, ability to meet statutory and
administrative deadlines, determination of inquiries needed for
branch lawyer referral, resolving administrative issues)
Enjoyable co-workers, and relaxing environment
Tax Roll Integrity Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 May 2012
I was always on time for work, I would start by doing the important work first then continue with the regular work. I learned alot about working with others, and that a customer is always right. My managers were already ready to help and very supportive. I enjoyed all my co-workers and got along great with them. The hardest part of my job was the language difference with customers that telephoned in. I was very proud when I told people that I worked for the Ministry of Finance. What a wonderful place to work.
Pros
relaxing environment, very good managers and co-workers, enjoyed using the computers, learning the new programs
Cons
sometimes the week was long enough, understanding the difference languages, irate customers