Ministry of Children and Family Development Employee Reviews

Work life balance but poor management
Finance (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC and Surrey, BC28 August 2018
Great work life balance but ok management. No direction from management. Career advancement was minimal due to saturated positions and out of ministry freezes.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
ok management
Wonderful Internship for anyone in Social Work or Counselling.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC1 August 2018
If you want to know what it is like to dive into paperwork, and learn the ins and outs of life as a Clinical Counselor this is the internship placement for you. They are incredibly flexible in regards to hours, and are phenomenal individuals who are incredibly talented at what they do. They are a wealth of information, and gladly share their knowledge and wisdom if asked.
Supportive and well maintained
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 July 2018
As an admin assistant, the pay and benefits are pretty good for a student. Workload is manageable and depending on the team/office you're with, everything is pretty much flexible. Again, depending on the team/office, workplace culture is great and very supportive.
work
Guardianship Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Quesnel, BC26 July 2018
good pay, good benefits, good sick leave pay. decent unionized work environment to work in. stressful and exhauasting. but also very rewarding if you like it.
Loved it
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 February 2018
Great place to work. Lots of fun. good people there. I learned a lot about what social workers do, and how we help children and their families.

Loved it
Problematic and Racist Management
Youth Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 January 2018
Working as an advisor has proven my general distrust of MCFD as an organization. When I came to management about situations, I was penalized for bringing awareness to racist and homophobic staff and contracted workers.
Government job
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC28 November 2017
Office job.
Computer work.
Not a customer service job therefore not for me.
Staff unhappy
Government job
You can move up in the goverment
Did offer training
Pros
good hours
Cons
SLow
Great practicum placement
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 September 2017
I did my practicum here twice while I was in university. I loved every minute of it and my supervisors made it even more enjoyable. Working with youth is extremely rewarding.
Excellent supportive team work
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC21 September 2017
Excellent place to complete my practicum. Very helpful team and Team Leaders. I truly enjoyed my experience with them and am looking forward to starting my career as a Social Worker.
Friendly office environment
Web Programmer (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 August 2017
I enjoyed my time working for the Ministry. Most days I was creating and styling websites, writing documentation, and working with helpful staff who respected me. I had guidance from my team's manager who was a very kindly and interesting lady.

The most difficult part of the job was occasionally needing to wait for someone else somewhere in the organization to complete work that my task depended on, so I would say that there's some bottlenecks somewhere in the organization. The best part of the job was being able to communicate quite openly with my coworkers.
Pros
Pretty nice open office atmosphere.
Cons
As with most government ministries, a bit slow at times.
The People are Great
Child Protection Worker (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC10 June 2017
Working in Child Protection services is a challenging career. Workloads are often high with complex dynamics within families and children. Generally management is approachable but limited in capacity due to governing factors. Generally teams develop supportive bonds, but creating individual relationships for crisis support and debriefing are essential and usually available due to the nature and expertise of the practice field.
Pros
making a difference
Cons
too often insufficient resources to do quality work
Both Challenging and rewarding
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC13 March 2017
Compassionate work place.
Great opportunity to utilize skills and learn diplomacy.
Workshops and Team building opportunities.
Great benefits and competitive wages.
Loved my career
social worker (front line), team leader (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC1 February 2017
I loved my career with the Ministry of Children and Family Development. Sometimes the workplace was toxic due to high demands/caseload size, office politics but I still loved what I did. The managers I had, especially during the last few years of my employment in the lower mainland were supportive and fair.
I only left the Ministry due to a move to another province. I learned a lot and grew a lot with this employer. I have gained many skills that will be an asset to any other jobs I apply for.
Pros
benefits, stability
Cons
red tape, budget cuts therefore negatively impacting support services to clients.
Acting Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC25 October 2016
Very stressful environment to work in but with the right management team and training it is a rewarding career.
More resources are definitely needed for the clients and to support the front line staff.
More support is needed for frontline staff to help manage vicarious trauma.
Please see below
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Vancouver12 July 2016
I supervisor a very busy child protection team. My day consistence of review any memo's from the previous night, providing consultation to the social workers on the team. Working the our office Manager to ensure a smooth running of the office, supervision, assisting the social workers, where needed, attending court (when necessary), building a positive work environment. Ensuring staff have had lunch.
...
Hardest part of the job, not enough hours to do everything, so prioritizing is very important and self-care. I am very strength based in my practise.
...
I am a very hands on supervisor and believe in working as a team.
...
Most enjoyable part, the team and success in the families I work with. I believe we all have the strength and abilities to work on what we need to, sometimes we just need the help. I do not hesitate to being intrusive when needed.
Great work invironment
Temporary Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC7 January 2016
I had a great time working for MCFD in Dawson Creek, I just wish it had led into a Full-time Position. Great Management, Amazing co-workers and just an over-all great place to work.
High-paced work environment with continual challenges
Resource Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC26 September 2015
The most enjoyable part of this job is problem-solving to place a child in a suitable home and seeing them thrive in the environment. It is challenging to do this when there are limited resources but I work with a great team who all care greatly about the work they do.
Great Ministry for advancement
Accounts Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 June 2015
I enjoyed working for the Ministry of Children and Family Development. I had many wonderful co-workers all dedicated to doing their jobs. I believe it was a dynamic place to work as there were many opportunities to learn new skills and improve on existing skills. The management provided biweekly team meetings to discuss logistics and focus on any areas of difficulties employees might be having. The hardest part of working for the Ministry of Children and Family would be hearing some of the heart wrenching stories the clients would have. The most enjoyable part of my job was bringing peace of mind to those clients.
productive team
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  British Columbia23 September 2014
working with my team is always enjoying and we accept new challenges together and finish the task on time..
I enjoyed working with a variety of cultures, learning about their values and beleifs and helping families adjust to Canadian laws re. child abuse.
Child Protection Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Burnaby BC1 September 2014
I gained valuable skills and knowledge while working for MCFD, along with opportunity to help families make positive changes in their lives.
Pros
Help families make positive changes.
Cons
High caseloads