Mind Games

Mind Games Employee Reviews

Canada20 reviews
Great people to work with
I loved being able to work with board games and sell sometime that I could support and already know a lot about. the people I worked with were all great.
Pros
the other employees, and that it is a toy store
Cons
the store closed
Would be great with a change in managment
Wasn't actually a bad place but the assistant manager is a nightmare. The manager and other employees are great, but she ruins it, completetly unprofession and rude to both customers and employees. Called me names mutiple times adn was always criticizing everything I did. Also, inappropriate conversations with employees and customers with other people present. Visually made customers uncomfortable with her behaviour. Besides that, the scheduling was all over the place but that happens with holiday retail so nothing new.
Can find better job for the pay
Typical day of work consists of distributing, receiving and shipping out products. The good thing I can say about this job is it is very easy, coworkers, manager & assistant manager are great people. However this is not a place you want to be long term. No opportunities for benefits, vacation pay or sick days are given. I noticed they tend to hire full time workers without mentioning the position is temporary prior to hire. So they basically hire full timers and look for reasons to let them go after busy (Christmas) season is over. No lunch room is provided and workers have no other place to eat but in the same dirty warehouse they work in. Owner of the place consistently checks cameras and falsely blames workers for wasting time. He treats the warehouse workers terribly. Taking advantage of international workers...the way they practice business I’m surprised no one called the labour board on them yet. I’ve worked many jobs in my lifetime with no problems or complaints but this place is the absolute worse!!! If you’re looking for easy temporary work this may be the place for you but if you want more than the bare minimum, there are significantly better options out there!
8 February 2020
While we hire Seasonal workers they are aware of the seasonality of the job offered.
From time to time when the performance is not there we are forced to let some go!

Realising that the job is not easy one would perceive that your interpretation regarding the job that you called it was easy proves that the job was not done RIGHT as a result you may have been dismissed!

Best
Used to be great. Not anymore.
The owners of this store are clueless, most of the merchandise is worthless junk made in China that isn't fit for a Dollar Store. They don't realize that their demographic is Nerds and those who love Nerd culture. My coworkers were awesome. Upper management is full of bullies with no respect for their staff. They create a hostile work environment when ever they are there. It's a sinking ship.
8 February 2020
God Bless China and cool gadgets made possible to be available to consumers all over the world specially North America!
Hostility is a state of mind and appears to be in the mind of beholders...

Considering you may have worked in our Kingston store you may have not had the opportunity to meet any of the corporate staff as they operate in The GTA!

So we are surprized to see your comments about the Work Place and its ambiance!
A great place to work.
Staff are very nice, seem genuinely happy to see you in the mornings; direct managers are respectful and easy to talk with; great location; s; free parking; unique mark with a lot of competition, so very stable and should be around for many more years; very flexible …
8 February 2020
Thanks for the opinion and with team members like yourself we have one way to go and that is to grow our network and team of our appreciative staff.

Regards
Wasted Time and Energy
DO NOT WORK HERE. Management watches you on the cameras CONSTANTLY, and will call you to micromanage whatever you're doing "wrong". Head office has no idea how an actual retail store is run, and they do not want you to advance. Usually, a key holder would get a higher wage rather than a part time sales position but they don't, because "There is really no extra work to it.", despite opening and closing the store, as well as handling any returns or any customer issues (which there is a lot of due to the poorly run establishment, and poorly explained return policy). They have no sense of customer loyalty, or employee loyalty. They treat their staff very poorly, and do not care at all. All they want is money. The only good thing about this job were the customers. We always made personal connections with the customers because they are awesome.
Great workplace
Typical day consists of working alongside co-workers having a great work environment.
Learned to drive sales and be more open as a person.

Management was great to all workers.
Pros
great vibes
Cons
N/a
Sales Associate
Great place to work. the staff was friendly and the hours were flexible. I learned a lot from working here. Sales is very competitive and great compensation.
Nice place to work
MindGames is a nice place to work, provides balanced life. Gives you flexible timings during working hours and no-long working hours. The best place to start a carrier.
Pros
Flexible Timing, no long working hours
No Respect Company!
No good reason to work for this company.
Poorly managed by owners. Even the sales associate report to owners in Ontario. Use of filthy and unprofessional language by the owners. No respect. Dictatorship.

Doubtful/dubious company practices. Lot of grey spots. Micromanaging.

Stores are on temporary leases with the mall and could close anytime. No job security.
Pros
Good colleagues
Interesting environment, but poorly run.
Management from head office down to the store level was disorganized and inconsistent with their policies and requirements. There was discussion about training and advancement options, but in the end none were available.
It was a negative and toxic environment.

I was also hired with the promise of health and dental benefits which were never provided.

However, the customers were great and I truly enjoyed working with the products.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Poor scheduling, inconsistent management
Toy store
Work hours depending on scheduled shifts, morning, evening or weekends. Management was not very helpful as they only wanted to hang out with there friends that also worked there and left out all females to do most of the work. I was promoted to key holder, was nice but unfortunately majority of shifts were worked alone so became hard to eat lunch, or go to the bathroom.
Pros
Learning Experience
Cons
Not very well managed
Workforce bigger than it needs to be
Shifts were typically short, four to six hours, often including a lunch break. As my first retail job, it was my first experience using a point of sale computer program, which was the only new skill I learned. A simple job, that required more interpersonal skills than technical skills.
Fun place to work but little to no employee appreciation.
Fun store with incredibly helpful and knowledgeable staff but the company has very little appreciation for their employees. Seniority does not matter to them and they would much rather hire someone new instead of train already existing staff members. Promotions are out of the question for even the employee who has always gone above and beyond.
Pros
Product testing happens a lot
Cons
No training programs
A geek heaven
Working in MindGames was one of the best jobs I have ever worked for. I learnt more about retail while being myself in such a welcoming environment.
Fun Place
It was a fun place to work at although the pay was not so good. But for a very little company, I honestly was not expecting much pay anyways. It was an interesting experience for me
Retail Position
Management unbecoming, retail job usual tasks. Unfortunately was a seasonal position as the company could not stay in their location.
Fun Work Enviroment
Not a very busy location
Not enough work hours given to anyone

Co-workers were a delight to be with

Customers rarely complained, everything was always settled in store
it was a fun workplace
I enjoyed working for a company that we got to deal with all ages of people and have a showroom and demo our product.
Pros
demoing
Cons
head office was not personable, no advertising
8 February 2020
While we appreciate your comments, we are there to run a business not to be personable!
Having Said that we encourage our staff to socialize, and interact with our customers as they are in our have fun and see new games and gadgets.
An interesting first job.
Working at Mind Games was an interesting experience. It was a cool little shop with board games, puzzles, and other cool products. It was fun to promote products that were interesting and genuinely fun to play with. I was taught a lot about retail and will use these skills in the years to come.
Pros
interesting product, demonstrating products.
Cons
not many shifts, long hours, unorganized.