Miller Thomson LLP Employee Reviews

Management Doesn't Support Their Supervisors
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 May 2019
They want you to do their dirty work and when you do you are not supported and management chose money over people. Had documentation to discipline someone and didn't get any support from HR and management.
Pros
Some nice people
Cons
Poor leadership
IT structure is too bad
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 April 2019
If you are looking for IT support job, don't work at Miller Thompson LLP. First of all you are not Miller Thompson employee, you will be working for internal management company called Miltom Management. And second, this is not IT Support Specialist job, this is purely Help Desk / call center job. Very basic. If you are looking for Entry level job, this job is for you.

Forget about the growth, they will promise you and show you big dreams that there is a huge chance to get on higher position, but there is none. I worked there for almost a year, gave my 100% and forget about promotion you won't get any raise. Remember, you are working for different management company that is working for Miller Thompson.

There are few lawyers (Psycho) who literally abuse you on phone, literally abuse you and your manager can't do anything about it because he is too coward and just trying to keep his position secure. This manager has 3-4 employees to cover his butt and only they will get raise and praised.

There are 100s of other great companies in Calgary where they will treat you like real employee and NOT like servant.

This can be great company for lawyers and their assistant for sure, but for all administrative jobs, it is horrible.
Pros
Job Security
staff underpaid
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON27 January 2019
Staff are underpaid. There are no promotion, no recognition, and no career development opportunities. There is no clearly defined bonus system. Management keeps all the bonus to themselves.
Clerical
Office Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 January 2019
Not a very nice place to work. The other staff and most of the lawyers are nice. The HR lady who has been running the show for many years is tempermental, under educated and what happens depends on her mood. She is very immature, has a spoiled attitude, hard to communicate with on even basic matters and has her favorites who pal up to her the right way. I found out she started there as a file clerk with NO formal HR training or education. How she has stayed in that job for as long as she has is bewildering. The pay is low but they expect you to dress like you stepped off a runway everyday. You want a good job PASS on this place !!! No one needs the grief.
Pros
Free Booze Fridays
Cons
HR Lady
Coworkers were amazing
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2019
I loved my coworkers and support staff were amazing but management didn't seem to care at all about what happened to legal assistants. High turnover in my departments which made for a really stressful work environment.
Fair compensation, but work life balance difficult to achieve.
Partner (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 October 2018
Good experience and opportunity for growth and mentorship, however, work life balance is difficult to achieve, while trying to maintain career advancement.
Productive and appriciative workplace
Floater/Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 July 2018
MT is a great place to balance your work/home life, they have been wondeful at accomodating a flexible schedule. They go out of their way to ensure that staff feel appriciated and included. They are generous around the holidays and host monthly gatherings to lighten the mood of a hard workload and appriciation of all the hard work done throughout the year. The only con I might have is that HR is not particularly approchable and has a tendancy to change her mind several times regarding her opinion of you, what processes are, and what her expectation of you are.
Pros
lunches, socials, accomodating work schedule
Great Firm!
Real Estate Law Clerk (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON28 June 2018
Miller Thomson is a great firm to work at. They actually care about their employees. Some examples of this include; every Friday in the summer we get to leave at least half an hour early. Every long weekend we get to leave early and they provide treats/snacks where you can take a break and get together with everyone and enjoy some free food for half an hour. Once a year they do an office escape where we decide on a fun event and get to leave the office at noon to do the event and have a delicious lunch all for free and usually end up leaving an hour early. We went axe throwing last year and it was a hit! The lawyers really appreciate your hard work and they let you know it. Everyone is very friendly and if you have any complaints HR actually looks into it and does something about it. I have really enjoyed my time here so far.
Pros
Free lunchs, leaving early on fridays and long weekends, freedom, hour lunch breaks, no clocking in or out
Cons
Pay isnt as competitive as it could be
Start
Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 May 2018
Great place to begin your career, lots of departments, large firm, great location. Old School enviornment. Great place to start expanding your knowlege.
Great team to work with
HelpDesk Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 May 2018
The team culture within the IT department is amazing. The team management is really well done and everyone supports each other which is rare in this type of environment.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Potential Long Hours
Excellent Firm-Great Team
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto27 March 2018
Joined over 10 months. Very flexible, accommodating, team spirited. Excellent pay, opportunity to grow. In house training, friendly staff. Enjoy working here!
Pros
Flexible Hours, Excellent Pay, Independence, Work Life Balance
Cons
None so far
Great Company
Litigation Defence Law Clerk (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 March 2018
Great environment.
Great benefits.
Great vacation, starts at 3 weeks.
Great mentors.
Great HR.
Great work-life balance.
Fair.
I come into work happy everyday.
good sense of community in the firm
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 September 2017
Good sense of community in the firm and made some good friends
They had a lot of staff events throughout the year.
Was promoted to different positions
Pros
staff events
Recommandation
Adjointe juridique (Former Employee) –  MontrĂ©al, QC12 September 2017
Excellent bureau d'avocats national. Bonne ambiance de travail. Je recommande cet employeur fortement.
great place to work
Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON4 August 2017
Good place to work and many opportunities to advance and relocate across Canada due to the number of offices that they have.
They offer continous training and webairs for their employees to ensure that you skills are up to date.
Always available for employees and will offer assistance and guidance
Pros
many perks for their employees
ZERO work/life balance
Real Estate Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON7 July 2017
Despite the terrible reputation of the Miller Thomson Guelph Office, I decided to give it a chance and see how it was for myself. I didn't last!
Almost 20 years experience did not prepare me for this firm. I watched over 12 employees come and go in one year in one department. Some so fed up they just walked out, others on medical stress leave!
The hot and cold treatment by the lawyers, the unrealistic timelines and the sheer volume (up to 30 deals a week per person) was enough to make me see that this was not the firm for me. Over time was mandatory! Just to make it though a week, it could range from 15-30 hours per person.
On top of all of that, even after asking for help, our manager was unable to do anything for us.
There is a serious flaw in how the department is managed; right down to printers being removed so we could become "paperless"; in a world where paper is mandatory.
Not to mention, the pay scale is completely unfair and not confidential in any way. Vacations are cancelled, even when trips are booked. And sometimes just refused altogether.
Cons
excessive overtime, unrealistic deadlines, no empathy for staff, vacations are cancelled or refused
Awesome Team
National Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 June 2017
The entire firm is exceptionally friendly and helpful when needed. They cater to elevate their employees to new heights of knowledge and experience. Communication is key with weekly scrums and team meetings.
Crash and Burn
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 June 2017
This firm runs its staff into the ground. period. You are replaced and forgotten when they burn you out. Your loyalty has little value. They are known for consistently over-working and underpaying. They tolerate questionable behaviours from some of the lawyers. Do not leave a stable job for this firm as you may regret it.
Pros
Nice view from the office
Cons
Underpaid, trapped and very overworked crowd of unhappy people
Great place to work, overall.
Supervisor, Legal Assistant Services (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 May 2017
The work culture is very inclusive and everyone, from all areas of the firm, is respected. There are many firm events to ensure the culture remains positive.
Good
HRIS Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2017
I Liked the people I worked with

The job was good and the people I dealt with were good.

Work life balance not very good

A lot of changes happening while I was there

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Miller Thomson LLP. Our community is ready to answer.