Miller Thomson LLP Employee Reviews

Excellent Firm-Great Team
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto27 March 2018
Joined over 10 months. Very flexible, accommodating, team spirited. Excellent pay, opportunity to grow. In house training, friendly staff. Enjoy working here!
Pros
Flexible Hours, Excellent Pay, Independence, Work Life Balance
Cons
None so far
Great Company
Litigation Defence Law Clerk (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 March 2018
Great environment.
Great benefits.
Great vacation, starts at 3 weeks.
Great mentors.
Great HR.
Great work-life balance.
Fair.
I come into work happy everyday.
Recommandation
Adjointe juridique (Former Employee) –  MontrĂ©al, QC12 September 2017
Excellent bureau d'avocats national. Bonne ambiance de travail. Je recommande cet employeur fortement.
great place to work
Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON4 August 2017
Good place to work and many opportunities to advance and relocate across Canada due to the number of offices that they have.
They offer continous training and webairs for their employees to ensure that you skills are up to date.
Always available for employees and will offer assistance and guidance
Pros
many perks for their employees
ZERO work/life balance
Real Estate Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON7 July 2017
Despite the terrible reputation of the Miller Thomson Guelph Office, I decided to give it a chance and see how it was for myself. I didn't last!
Almost 20 years experience did not prepare me for this firm. I watched over 12 employees come and go in one year in one department. Some so fed up they just walked out, others on medical stress leave!
The hot and cold treatment by the lawyers, the unrealistic timelines and the sheer volume (up to 30 deals a week per person) was enough to make me see that this was not the firm for me. Over time was mandatory! Just to make it though a week, it could range from 15-30 hours per person.
On top of all of that, even after asking for help, our manager was unable to do anything for us.
There is a serious flaw in how the department is managed; right down to printers being removed so we could become "paperless"; in a world where paper is mandatory.
Not to mention, the pay scale is completely unfair and not confidential in any way. Vacations are cancelled, even when trips are booked. And sometimes just refused altogether.
Cons
excessive overtime, unrealistic deadlines, no empathy for staff, vacations are cancelled or refused
Awesome Team
National Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 June 2017
The entire firm is exceptionally friendly and helpful when needed. They cater to elevate their employees to new heights of knowledge and experience. Communication is key with weekly scrums and team meetings.
Crash and Burn
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 June 2017
This firm runs its staff into the ground. period. You are replaced and forgotten when they burn you out. Your loyalty has little value. They are known for consistently over-working and underpaying. They tolerate questionable behaviours from some of the lawyers. Do not leave a stable job for this firm as you may regret it.
Pros
Nice view from the office
Cons
Underpaid, trapped and very overworked crowd of unhappy people
Great place to work, overall.
Supervisor, Legal Assistant Services (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 May 2017
The work culture is very inclusive and everyone, from all areas of the firm, is respected. There are many firm events to ensure the culture remains positive.
Good
HRIS Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2017
I Liked the people I worked with

The job was good and the people I dealt with were good.

Work life balance not very good

A lot of changes happening while I was there
Lawyers and staff are definitely separated culturally
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON3 April 2017
Not a happy environment nature of the job. It could have more communications between staff and professionals but they are determined not to make sure that we know there is a separation between the two.
Pros
Benefits were satisfactory for entry level doesn't change no matter how long you work there
Cons
Not a friendly environment
Great workforce
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 February 2017
I loved working at Miller Thomson. Everyone is so warm and welcoming. They allow you to grow professionally and personally focusing on your best interests and needs at all times.
Pros
Free lunches!
Horrible environment
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2017
Not a team environment, HR doesn't support the staff at all, no job security what so ever. Firm has gone downhill the past few years.
Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK25 September 2016
Team is great. No big hierarchy, we work as one team to deliver for our clients. Company takes time to appreciate their staff throughout the year. Work load can be fast paced and challenging but there is good training and people all around you that support one another. One of the best jobs I have ever had. Moving is the only reason I am leaving. Worked for this company over 3 years. Some of the people I work with have been here 25+ years.
Pros
Great teamwork and team supported environment
Cons
Productive and fun workplace with table football table
Document Reviewer or (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 February 2016
Have learned to handle the high pressure confidently and perfectly, improved team cooperation skills with self-organization.
mail room clerk & messenger
Mailroom Clerk/Special Task Person (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 December 2015
Responsible for on - line courier database system deliveries & pick ups . Responsible for deliveries to other law firms , accounting firms , financial institutions, major corporations & government offices .
Pros
worked as independtly as well with mail room staff .
Cons
there was no cons
Terrible office politics - don't speak to anyone !
real estate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON6 December 2015
Bad management - treated as a # not a person! No work life balance whatsoever!
Terrible to work for
No job security
Just work you like a work slave
Pros
A job!
Cons
Miller Thompson!
A great learning experience
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver BC15 October 2015
Working at Miller Thompson was a good experience. It was a quieter position where I was not able to show my potential as much as I would have hoped.
I learned a lot about what I am looking for in a job position, and was able to meet some great people along the way.
Typical biglaw firm
Summer Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 July 2015
Typical biglaw firm. You have to put your hours in. Good pay but you're working for every penny. I had a good experience with all the partners except for one. But there are bad apples everywhere.
Pros
Good pay and resouces
Cons
hours
Practicum Student
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 June 2015
I was a practicum student for this company, and although the experience was greatly appreciated, I felt like I was constantly doing the same thing and not getting to experience much of the details of the job. I often found myself photocopying and hole punching, I wanted to learn as much as I could while I was there and was some what disappointed in the work experience.
Pros
I was doing what I went to school for.
Cons
It was repetitive
Excellent Employer
Various (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 March 2015
Great company to work for. They listen, they support internal growth, so many little perks while you work there. Award/Appreciation program to recognize employees.
Pros
Free Coffee and drinks, staff activities, great management and positive work place
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Miller Thomson LLP. Our community is ready to answer.