Miller Thomson LLP

Miller Thomson LLP Employee Reviews

The firm recently decided to lay off. First, we were placed on a "temporary" lay off with a return to work date, leading us to believe we would eventually be working again. Then, we were told the temporary layoffnwould be extended by one more month, again, with a new return date. Then, we were told goodbye!!
Pros
I got to meet and work with interesting people.
Cons
Management is terrible.
The worst office environment ever. HR is the most incompetent person. They have a low salary and it is not worth how you are treated. Lots of gaslighting at this firm.
Would definitely recommend to anyone looking to advance their skillset. Highly ethical and professional firm. Awesome reputation in the community. Excellent technology. Great people.
Typical day at work involves lots of technical assistance remotely and locally. The main challenge is helping solve computer related problems over the phone. Using remote access to control the user's computers really make things easier. Afterwards, logging down clear information into the ticket system is another challenge to ensure that the same solution can be archived and used in the future. I personally made a lot of good friendships among other office residents (even some across other offices in Canada). Another big challenge is being able to handle the pressure from a user when they are experiencing technical issues during critical deadlines.
Found the environment regarding upper management very unhelpful when dealing with a known about toxic environment. Harassment not dealt with appropriately. Busy work environment but there are some staff members who sit around, doing nothing all day. Great coworkers generally and some very nice lawyers. However the worst firm management, from HR to the managing partner.
If you want to work at a back stabbing, bullying firm, here’s your chance. There are some nice coworkers but the majority suck. Upper management protects bullies and rewards them whilst decent, hardworking people are treated like garbage. I would rather flip burgers than work with these sharks.
Les gens y sont extraordinaires. Autant le staff administratif que les avocats et parajuristes. Les avantages sociaux sont compétitifs et le salaire très correct. Et si ça ne fonctionne pas trop avec votre patron, on peut vous jumeler avec un autre. Je recommande !
If you work consistently and improve on your work in regards to learning the software and take on new work responsibilities you are complimented. I have found that I am constantly being complimented and thanked for all my work at Miller Thomson. The firm is a great place to work. Very friendly atmosphere. I enjoy working there very much. Management is great and caring.
Pays compatively and can be a relaxed environment but not always for the Condomonimium team during closings it can be very hectic. They try to be inclusive.
MT do not actively listen to their employees creating uneasy and unpredictable work environments. MT tares down employees to the point of deterioration both physically, emotionally and mentally.
Enjoy my role as a supervisor to a team of 17 document processing operators across offices in Canada. Great work life balance Promotes and encourage diversity Great team members to work with.
Pros
Team and Staff Recognition Awards, Multiculturalism Recognition
Friendly staff. Very fast paced. Very professional for the most part. Very understanding on home/work balance. Negative: Somewhat slow with IT problems or getting set up at first.
Lack of management, high turnover, low pay, HR is NOT on your side....too many to list. You will be extremely over worked and very underpaid. Stay far away!
Pros
Staff appreciation events
Cons
Poor management, low pay, high turnover, lack of mentorship
They are good to the staff, great training, national firm, think about the staff recognition. Team work. busy environment. good open door policy. constantly learning.
They want you to do their dirty work and when you do you are not supported and management chose money over people. Had documentation to discipline someone and didn't get any support from HR and management.
Pros
Some nice people
Cons
Poor leadership
If you are looking for IT support job, don't work at Miller Thompson LLP. First of all you are not Miller Thompson employee, you will be working for internal management company called Miltom Management. And second, this is not IT Support Specialist job, this is purely Help Desk / call center job. Very basic. If you are looking for Entry level job, this job is for you. Forget about the growth, they will promise you and show you big dreams that there is a huge chance to get on higher position, but there is none. I worked there for almost a year, gave my 100% and forget about promotion you won't get any raise. Remember, you are working for different management company that is working for Miller Thompson. There are few lawyers (Psycho) who literally abuse you on phone, literally abuse you and your manager can't do anything about it because he is too coward and just trying to keep his position secure. This manager has 3-4 employees to cover his butt and only they will get raise and praised. There are 100s of other great companies in Calgary where they will treat you like real employee and NOT like servant. This can be great company for lawyers and their assistant for sure, but for all administrative jobs, it is horrible.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Staff are underpaid. There are no promotion, no recognition, and no career development opportunities. There is no clearly defined bonus system. Management keeps all the bonus to themselves.
Not a very nice place to work. The other staff and most of the lawyers are nice. The HR lady who has been running the show for many years is tempermental, under educated and what happens depends on her mood. She is very immature, has a spoiled attitude, hard to communicate with on even basic matters and has her favorites who pal up to her the right way. I found out she started there as a file clerk with NO formal HR training or education. How she has stayed in that job for as long as she has is bewildering. The pay is low but they expect you to dress like you stepped off a runway everyday. You want a good job PASS on this place !!! No one needs the grief.
Pros
Free Booze Fridays
Cons
HR Lady
I loved my coworkers and support staff were amazing but management didn't seem to care at all about what happened to legal assistants. High turnover in my departments which made for a really stressful work environment.
Great place to learn and excel in your career. Plenty of opportunities to move around and get promoted. Plenty of mentorship and leadership. I would recommend this firm to anyone.
Good experience and opportunity for growth and mentorship, however, work life balance is difficult to achieve, while trying to maintain career advancement.
  1. Employee reviews