Mill Street Brewery

Mill Street Brewery Employee Reviews

Canada30 reviews
a typical day at this facility dose not exist. Most days you work hard. Lots of hard physical work at a fast pace. Management are demanding. the workplace culture is serious., The most enjoyable part of the job is clocking out.
At first when I worked at Mill St. it felt like I was part of a family. The Servers, Hosts, and BOH employees all worked extremely well together and made you feel at home. But the management made working there a literal nightmare. Behind the scenes, it was extremely shady. There were harassment claims that were not dealt with, roaches (and I'm not referring to managers), and mice. Not to mention the fact that everyone was overworked and extremely stressed out. The management had no clue what they were doing and would get replaced every few months. I do not recommend working here unless you already do and have no other choice, or you are extremely desperate and have no self-worth.
Pros
free beer
Cons
everything else
There is no future here for the current employees and I feel like the company will disband soon. The core values of Mill Street are no longer demonstrated by management and they take advantage of the employees they have left.
Pros
Beer
Cons
Everything else
It's not a career, it is a job. You break your back to make just enough to live long enough to do the same job until you retire, or die. So very much a job, and not a career.
Pros
It is a job.

Brewers/distillers are very knowledgable and willing to share what they know.

Free beer.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement.

Many have moved on due to a lack of upward mobility. Management is friendly but uninvolved/uninterested.

Advice

Get some feedback from lower levels. A part of the company has management who are inexperienced and overwhelmed.
Pros
Free beer
Cons
Bad management
Theres a high turnover, even for the chef position.
Other issues include

Being underpaid

Overworked

Horribly managed

Food barely kept safe to consume
The staff and the guests are people that almost become your family and will be my life long friends. I still go back and visit when I am in the area for quality food, quality beers and quantity of quality people.
The Company wanted me to pay for my own gloves. The job wanted me to pick up broken glass bottles. They made pay for a Hard hat and a safety reflector. The work was dirty and you get beer all over your clothes.
See summary, had a lot of fun working there, great people, great food and beer, no complaints whatsoever.

Also distillery district is a beautiful area to work in
Not a bad place to work, they treat you well but it wasn't for me. Fast paced work environment with a lot of stairs. Fun staff to work with on a daily basis.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Mill Street Brewery?
pays the bills and isn't really a bad place to work. there might not be too much room to grow if working in packaging but within management you are good
it was a wonderful job i loved it. it got me out of my comfort zone and to different parts on Ontario. it was hard work and very fun work environment i really enjoyed my time there
Loved working there, great atmosphere, flexible with hours, but a complete hassle with management, not getting paid on time, not getting tip-out, schedules going missing, random unannounced changed to schedule. etc
Pros
nice people
Cons
management is all over the place
The money can be very good - depending on the role. The management team seems to be very inexperienced and unaccommodating depending on the franchisee.
For such a big company to operate so poorly was something I didn't foresee. A work environment that is toxic, no opportunities to grow, will make employees work like dogs with no incentives and no collaboration between the departments. Additionally, HR does a great job of hiding things under the carpet and is known to provide no aid to disappointed employees. The icing on the cake was even though the company claims to encourage people from all backgrounds, internal management fosters the rituals of racism.
Pros
free beer every week
Cons
Bad management, toxic environment, fostering racism
Working in the retail space at Mill St is an incredibly fun and unique experience. Aside from getting the opportunity to learn about all the new brews and participate in taste tests with your colleagues, you get to share this experience with customers from all around the world. Centered in the Distillery District, a very busy must-see location in Toronto, no shift is ever dull. Lovely people, great atmosphere, and wonderful beer.
There are much better places to work in town. Unfriendly staff and bad bad management. They lack staff or don't want to hire enough, the place is too big. I will recommend anyone to avoid working at this location.
Pros
tips ok, good beer
Cons
Long wait for tips unorganized and unfriendly staff and management
The job is a bit repetitive but the environment really makes it fun. However, you can always move around to do different tasks that they assign to you.
A friendly environment with a lot of helpful people that will support everyone in need.
Hours were a little bit tough and irregular which is understandable for a restaurant job.
Most shifts are now oncall no matter how long you've been employed. Most managers are completely under qualified, money is good in the summer but it's a very stressful place to work and debit/credit transaction tips can take over a month to get back.
Pros
Money ok
Cons
long wait for tips, long hours, management lacks.
Was unable to attend a training shift and notified them in advance but the manager only got back to me a couple hours before my shift and said if I was unable to make it I would be no longer welcome. And that's what happened. Also I didn't even get paid for my orientation and my first training shift. Basically, don't bother. They don't care about anyone because everyone is replaceable.
Pros
Free beer and can drink on your breaks
Cons
Did not get paid at all.