Mill Street Brewery Employee Reviews

Exciting and Innovating Space Meeting Great People!
BREW PUB RETAIL ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 April 2018
Working in the retail space at Mill St is an incredibly fun and unique experience. Aside from getting the opportunity to learn about all the new brews and participate in taste tests with your colleagues, you get to share this experience with customers from all around the world. Centered in the Distillery District, a very busy must-see location in Toronto, no shift is ever dull. Lovely people, great atmosphere, and wonderful beer.
Avoid this place
Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 April 2018
There are much better places to work in town. Unfriendly staff and bad bad management. They lack staff or don't want to hire enough, the place is too big. I will recommend anyone to avoid working at this location.
Pros
tips ok, good beer
Cons
Long wait for tips unorganized and unfriendly staff and management
Great people to work with
FOH Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2018
A friendly environment with a lot of helpful people that will support everyone in need.
Hours were a little bit tough and irregular which is understandable for a restaurant job.
Subpar Management. Long wait for your tips.
Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 January 2018
Most shifts are now oncall no matter how long you've been employed. Most managers are completely under qualified, money is good in the summer but it's a very stressful place to work and debit/credit transaction tips can take over a month to get back.
Pros
Money ok
Cons
long wait for tips, long hours, management lacks.
They didn't pay me at all. Free beer, can drink on breaks
Server and Hostess (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 November 2017
Was unable to attend a training shift and notified them in advance but the manager only got back to me a couple hours before my shift and said if I was unable to make it I would be no longer welcome. And that's what happened. Also I didn't even get paid for my orientation and my first training shift. Basically, don't bother. They don't care about anyone because everyone is replaceable.
Pros
Free beer and can drink on your breaks
Cons
Did not get paid at all.
Great places
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  125 bermundsey rd13 September 2017
Mill st is a great place to work even if was only there through an agency loved every minute of working for them and the people who work there are also awesome
best place i ever worked at
Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2017
working at mill street as a driver helper became my favorite place i ever worked at. a typical day at work would include going to delivery points such as bars, gold clubs, grocery stores etc. drivers are very fun to work with the and the people overall at the work place are friendly. going to places i never been to and especially the ride to these places is the most enjoyable part of the job. the hardest part of the job is moving a 160lb kegt down a flight of cramped stairs over and over again but its a good work out.
Very productive
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 May 2017
Awesome establishment to work for, management is great, they treat everyone fairly and my team was just as great. I learned so much during my time there and I would highly recommend anyone looking to start a career in food to definitely apply to Mill street.
Pros
Very productive
Great staff, terrible management
Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 April 2017
Overall, it is a decent place to work if you can put up with bad management. Being owned by a company in Toronto, there are many setbacks when it comes to payment of tips or dealing with conflicts. It can take weeks to months to get tips you earned in a shift, and the management does little to help this process, not caring if the staff are struggling or unhappy with the situation. Tip out is relatively high and does not reflect the support staff present (i.e. you will tip out 4% of sales no matter what, even if there are no hosts or bussers present that day). The management make it clear that they don't care about the staff and that everyone is very replaceable. They also use A LOT of on call shifts, so it can be very difficult to know when you will or won't be working and impossible to schedule your life.
However, the staff is truly great. Everyone is welcoming and friendly. There are also free beers given for all staff every stat holiday.
Pros
free beer, great staff
Cons
unpredictable schedules, bad management, long waits to get tips earned
Great staff - head office with Toronto mind set in Ottawa
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 March 2017
Big location, lots of different hats to where - retail store - weddings - Brewery events - regular pub service - 3 floors - live music events - Mill street brewery upper management AND fabconcepts upper management.
Pros
good salary
Cons
on call 24 hours a day - 7 days a week

Want to know more about Mill Street Brewery?

Ask a question
Life in a brewery
Head Brewer (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL19 January 2017
A typical day of work starts of will me getting the boiler going, getting the air compressor going. Heating up water to brew and clean. Tank cleaning is a very common task, I love setting up CIPs. I've learned how to run all aspects of a brewery in a very short time. I've been thrown into these new roles quickly and I have surpasses my expectations, in terms of work development. I've had to be a manager for some time now, in multiple jobs. I understand the culture of management and I have a effective way of delegating I feel. I try to create a work environment where everyone can feel safe, and accomplished in their roles. The hardest part of my job is being patient with others, especially in a province that is not known for their beer culture, I have too much passion for this industry. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the reactions from people's faces when they try my beer. It excites me to no end.
Pros
Free lunch, tunes, and a fun work environment.
A fun & positive workplace
Server, Bartender & Events Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 January 2017
I learned so much working at Mill street Beer Hall in the Distillery District. I learned the brewery and beer brands from their history to the tasting notes. The place offered many different and fun events where I had the pleasure to work and supervise.
Mill Street Brewery Review
accounts receivable assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON24 November 2015
Begin with invoicing.
Credits and returns.
Customer inquiries via phone or email.
Filing
Cash payments

I learned how to use Quickbooks

Co-workers were professional and friendly

Hardest part: Company was growing rapidly and so workload increased

Enjoyed accomplishing tasks one by one
Pros
Event tickets for employees
Paid minimum wage working full-time as a prep and line cook 4AM-2PM shifts
Cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 July 2013
I was not offered a pay raise for my excellent quality of work doing ever-increasing amounts of prep duties as well as morning and lunch rush.
Pros
Tipouts
Cons
Lack of communication

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mill Street Brewery. Our community is ready to answer.

Mill Street Brewery Reviews by Location