Milieu Family Services
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Milieu Family Services Employee Reviews

Canada108 reviews
I have been working out of Surrey for years and I can finally say we are heading in the right direction with these changes that are happening. Very challenging job with youth who are high risk and have many challenging behaviours. It can be very stressful and sometimes scary but we have a great team who care so much about the youth in the home. I enjoy coming to work everyday and feel supported. I will be working for Milieu for many years to come.
Pros
Excellent team with great youth
Cons
A lot of documentation/high risk youth
Milieu is an amazing place to work , management are really nice and they really care about your and the individual safety, the working culture is really respectful . The co-workers ,the manager everyone works here for the well-being of the individuals .there is also so many training to help you deal with the Individuals .again it’s the best place to work and gain experience
Pros
Working culture
Cons
No cons
I had a really bad experience working at this company. Poor management and lack of communication. Lack of personal safety. Stressful work environment.
16 September 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your bad experience. Our company offers MANDT, PBS, and CORE training to help our employees best support the individuals and provide safety for everyone. If you’d like to discuss this further, please contact our human resources department at hr@milieu.ca
I really liked working there.Management is very helping and supportive.Safe workplace.A good salary and the staff is always ready to help each other .
16 September 2020
Thank you for your positive feedback and for being part of our Milieu team. We appreciate your support.
I’ve worked at a residential home in Langley for many years. Though there have been ups and downs with the people we support Having tough times we get through it. My coworkers are kind and the teamwork is always good. Milieu put the people in home first but also treats staff members fair and supports everyone to lead and make decisions together. There is good training. They even hired family members of people to work with people in the home because their voice and closeness is important.
Pros
Good training, people supported first, kind and collaborative to everyone on team
Cons
Sometimes stressful when people support go through episodes of a rough time
16 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to review our company. We’re lucky to have found so many outstanding employees to be part of Milieu. Please don't hesitate to reach out to your manager in any stressful situations, they are always here to support you. If you would like further details, please contact our human resources department at hr@milieu.ca
I’ve worked for Milieu at the same grouphome for people with disabilities for 9.5 years. My coworkers are really great people, we are like family. In the 9.5 years I’ve had 3 managers, all are kind and knowledgeable. It’s been my experience that at Milieu cares for one and another. The people we support are wonderful and lots of fun. There’s so much laughter in the home, which is a big reason I love coming to work everyday. We all enjoy supporting the residents have their best life. The work is about empowering the people who live in the home to be independent, volunteer, work if they want and make friends. It’s a fun job.
Pros
Laughter and great coworkers
Cons
Sometimes there is overtime
16 September 2020
Congratulations on being with Milieu for almost 10 years!! Thank you for all the work that you have done to support the individuals. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We are always working on recruiting and retaining staff to reduce overtime. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions, hr@milieu.ca
I have worked for Milieu for seven years supporting adults. I’ve worked both in residential services and day time services. In residential services there is more home making support and a focus on positive behaviour support. The aim is to support the adults who live in the home to be as independent as possible. I moved to work in Milieu’s outreach program which is a community based service for three years ago. I absolutely love it. I love the freedoms to support people to plan their own lives. People achieve so much more not having limits of any type of program attached to their services. I help people in their homes, with their appointments, find a job, go to doctor and try new things. It’s really up to them and I am assigned a certain amount of hours each week to plan our time together.
Pros
Flexible and Person Centered, Milieu fosters trust with their outreach employees
Cons
None in outreach
16 September 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience. Supporting individuals in the day program or residential is very rewarding and I am glad to hear that you experienced both. Thank you for all the support that you provide.
Working for Milieu is such a rewarding job being able to work with diversity of people and I am always learning something new every day about myself. Also, working at Milieu has many perks such as being able to join people having a good time by doing what they like to do such as art, exploring community or cooking together.
Pros
Lots of fun, day goes by fast
16 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Our company strives to provide a positive work environment for all employees. We appreciate all the work that you do.
This job is very fun and rewarding; however, consistency is key to the youth’s success. I would remind all new staff that is very important to remember following youth’s plans as it’s crucial to having a great shift. At Milieu, many of the youth have significant challenges, but if you understand what they need by observing their behaviour, it’s easy to help the youth have great days. A big part of the job is going out in the community with the youth, this has been challenging with Covid. But with restrictions lifting it’s gotten easier.

The youth do not always do well with change, so if you work here you need to understand the importance of consistency. Milieu teaches an empowerment healing of trauma model through relationships, not control and restraints. Some staff have found this approach difficult because they believe negative actions should result in negative consequences. Milieu strongly opposes this mentality. Managers and the coordinator are always available to come in and assist or they are phone call away if issues arise, there is lots of support.
Pros
supportive management
16 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to review our company. Your feedback is very appreciated especially that you understand the importance of consistency to the youth we support. By using your PBS, MANDT, and CORE training, you are able to provide the best support to the youth while ensuring their safety and health. Thank you again for sharing your time with us.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Milieu Family Services?
You will be set into violent and dangerous situations, almost daily. Management will tell you that YOU are the problem, even though the individuals in care have already exhausted all other care options.

There is zero consistency.

There is minimal support.

The co-workers, they will fast become good friends, and you will rely on them but staff turnover is HUGE
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Too many to list
16 September 2020
We are sorry to hear about your bad experience with Milieu. We follow strict MCFD guidelines and protocols when supporting the youth and aim to provide them with the best support and consistency by using a person-centered approach. Thank you for your feedback, if you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact our human resources department at hr@milieu.ca
Work is fast paced, the youth can be challenging; however, the positive behavioral training we receive is excellent. We also receive CORE training to help staff understand empathetic approaches that support a good relationship with youth who have experienced previous trauma. Youth needs come first, which can make our role exhausting. Co-workers that don’t last usually do not like the pace or the high expectations on shift. You always need to be alert and focused on the youth plans. It’s not for everyone, but for some of us working in servitude of others, it’s a perfect job. Our work is a calling, not a just job. If you are looking just for a 9-5pm job working with youth this probably isn’t the work for you. But, if you are up for the challenge that makes differences and helps kids change negative patterns into positive ones, the work at Milieu has been awesome!
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Not for everyone
16 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. Using a person-centered approach is very important when supporting the youth and we are glad to hear that you have benefited from our CORE training. We are thrilled to have you on as part of our Milieu team.
I should have ran from the day of the interview. The Manager was 45min late; she had forgotten and only attended after several phone calls which went unanswered. The interview was 20 mins in length once she arrived.
On the job I saw many workers burnt out, at times I observed workers with their clients and they did not have the basic skills needed for the youth. specific needs of the job.
16 September 2020
We are sorry to hear about your bad experience. All of our interviews are done virtually and not at the head office. Our department works thoroughly to ensure that applicants meet the requirement of having a minimum of 3 years of education and/or experience related to the field before hiring them to work with youth. Upon being hired, all staff members are enrolled in 5 days worth of training. Milieu is known to provide training and support for all staff members and we are sorry to hear that we missed the mark. If you would like to discuss this further, please don't hesitate to contact our human resources department at hr@milieu.ca
I really enjoy working at Milieu because everyone is very enthusiastic. It's all about helping people we support to grow and become more and more involved in their community. There's a lot of training and a lot of support. My coworkers are fun and highly committed to the people who live in the home. I enjoy coming to work here.
Pros
Enthusiastic Coworkers
16 September 2020
Thank you for your positive feedback. We are thrilled to have you on as part of our Milieu team.
Nobody is satisfied with their jobs in this company and upper management is very unorganized. They don't appreciate hard working employees and expectations are set unfairly.
16 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Milieu strives to show appreciation to all of its employees which is why we have a program called The Stepping Up Award where staff are nominated by their manager to recognize the work that they've done. We are sorry to hear that our company missed the mark, we are always working on increasing employee satisfaction. Please feel free to contact our human resources department with any suggestions, hr@milieu.ca
Before starting i had an agency orientation and a lot of training to be specific a week worth of training. Milieu is open and honest with the risk the job has it’s even posted on the walls for us to read. Many examples in my Mandt class, CORE and PBS. I was aware of the challenges and risk the job brings. I also received a specific orientation for each client I was going to work with. I’m currently working in Richmond and Surrey. I applied and received a position which is great because I get benefits with blue cross. Upper management is available when needed and they will come while your working for extra support so you can watch them work with the youth and give support and feedback.
Pros
Lots support from manager and upper management
Cons
Hiring process is overwhelming and confusing
16 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are thrilled to hear that you have benefited from our training, we definitely invest in preparing our employees prior to working online. We understand that the hiring process may be challenging due to the industry requirements, but our team is always here to provide any support in obtaining those documents. Thank you for all the work that you do. Please feel free to reach out to human resources with any questions you have, hr@milieu.ca
My experience working at Milieu has been nothing short of extraordinary. The individuals I work with are lovely, and my manager and co-workers are understanding and kind. Overall my time working here has been a pleasure, and I strongly recommend Milieu as an employer. The only downside is vacation can be difficult to come by during peak times as it is an essential service.
16 September 2020
Thank you for your feedback. Being part of essential services is very rewarding and we thank you for all the work that you do.
The work i have done as an employee at Milieu has bettered me as a person, and a worker. I have learned so many skills that will stay with me long after I am done working here. They management is very accommodating, and provide good feedback for staff. We are provided with more than adequate materials, and overall are given what we need to succeed.
Pros
- Supportive management, room for progression, good training
16 September 2020
We appreciate your feedback. We are glad to hear that you have benefited from Milieu, we are thrilled to have you as a member of the Milieu team.
Milieu children and family services is a best place to work at. It only requires self discipline , respecting the management and being collaborative. They have benefits for there employees , so I do recommend everyone interested to come and join this amazing team.
16 September 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We definitely stand by our values and we strive to provide the best support to the individuals. Thank you again for taking part in making a difference.
Milieu invests in their employees; I started off as a community support worker and once I gained experience I was able to work with youth. I love giving back to the community and Milieu has been great in supporting me with the trainings I need to expand my knowledge.
16 September 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are thrilled to hear that you gained experience and knowledge with us. We hope to always be part of a positive change in the community.
My experience at milieu has been more than I could have asked for. The managers respect the work you do and you are treated as such. This position has been everything I hoped it would be, and there is a clear progression to higher-level employment.
1 June 2020
Thank you for your feedback. A lot of our managers started off as front line workers and we are all about a person centered approach when supporting the individuals. We appreciate your support.
I’ve worked for Milieu for 5 years 3 months. Milieu provides a lot of training both in person and online. I find their training way more than other agencies provide. In my opinion, the work we do here is harder than other agencies because the people we support have a lot of trauma and sometimes struggle to feel cam and make informed choices. I found the training I received in CORE training on interpersonal relationships, reflection and interaction styles valuable. My encouraging and skilled co-workers make the work manageable and feel rewarding. The managers are nice and hard working, but they seem to have to do a lot of paper work reporting everything. Overall I would recommend working here.
1 June 2020
We are glad to hear that you benefited from our trainings. MANDT, PBS, and CORE training help our employees to best support the individuals and provides safety for everyone.
We definitely appreciate your positive feedback, thank you.