Mikisew Group of Companies

Mikisew Group of Companies Work-life balance reviews

Clear
3.1Pay & benefits

Good place to work with a great crew

I give this company a 3 in all aspects there is room for improvement like any other company I have worked for however if you do what is expected of you then there is no issue. I see some negative comments here which means maybe we hired the wrong people for the job. Give the place a chance before you pass judgement a great bunch of people to work with.

Pros

Ticket in to the oilfield

Cons

Away from family

poor management

I worked for this company for a year and a half and they are not good The superintendents think they are smarter then they are. They tell you there's room for advancement and they keep hanging that over your head, but there really is no where for you to move up. The superintendents are inexperienced and so they don't know how to run the general foreman's. The general foreman's are equally inexperienced and so the place is not run well. The superintendents think that they are the most important people in the world. The wages are awful. Once you get to the top labourer wages which isn't even that high you can't get any higher. I didn't get a raise the whole time i was there cause i was already at the top but i again reiterate isn't that high. The superintendents chose there friends to fill general foreman and foreman roles, which included even bringing them over from another company instead of advancing people from within the company. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!!!!!

Pros

every other week off

Cons

awful management

Room for improvement, but overall a good company to work for

If you are willing to work, you are praised and noticed. Hiring is all equal opportunity, if you are willing to take training on pre-hire courses required, they will give you a chance to prove yourself. There are employees ( as there are everywhere) who don't put forth much effort. I enjoyed my time there and was given an opportunity.... when I needed them, they were there for me and supported my further training. I can't thank them enough for this. There is a real concern for safety and I would work for them again.

Pros

They are wanting to make things better, safety culture etc.

Cons

once hired, training is hard to schedule, hard to get practical hands on time for pre-employment tickets

Poorly Managed Company. Avoid at all costs!

I did a year in this hole. The whole place was a nightmare. Wages were on the low side and no one else was hiring. Good crew of mechanics to work with for the most part. All the supervisors talk you down behind your back. All our techs had more knowledge then the leads. Low wages ran off all the good employees. Now they just hire what they can get. Horrible management on all levels. Band is heavily in debt. Cut our wages 20% to try and recoup their loses. They should be booted off site due to safety violations and incidents. Just like any other indigenous run comany. They paid the native labourers more than the white technicians. Wapasu was a bad camp with bad food. It was agony having to do 10 days in this place. At least we didn't work hard. You can't get fired from this place unless you try real hard.

Pros

10 days away from this place at a time.

Cons

Everything else.

Good, fun, atmosphere. Good work/life balance. Needs some work in structure and management, but overall makes a good effort that employees can use.

Worst Job Ever

A typical day working for the company was listening to co-workers complain about the lack of management, horrible work conditions, and how the company was circling the drain. I learned that, in spite of itself, some companies will always exist when they have a niche business; in this case representing a 'First Nations' business alternative. The management was non-existent. Most of the directors worked in a separate building from all the other staff. The direct manager I had closed her door all day and rarely checked on her staff or took the opportunity to share her knowledge with anyone. The Director of Finance took year end off, leaving inexperienced subordinates to carry the load and deal with auditors. The lower level staff were okay. They were in a position where there weren't options for voicing opinions or sharing lessons learned. Many of the staff were lazy, complaining when minor changes where made to their work days because they 'didn't have time' to do the work. All told, some people made the entire environment extraordinarily toxic. The hardest part of the job was actually knowing what I was meant to be doing. My manager provided me with no direction, my staff wouldn't talk to each other, and there was no sense of team at all. The most enjoyable part was leaving at the end of the day.

Pros

Gave me management experience

Cons

Long hours, horrible management, toxic work place

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mikisew Group of Companies. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8