Mikisew Group of Companies

Mikisew Group of Companies Management reviews

Clear

Wait until you have relative in Management, watch your back

Was a Fun place to work, some co-workers were great, others would relay info to HR, or their relatives in Management if they were given menial tasks, or reprimanded for absences. Was not told it was a seasonal position before starting, was about to go in for 1 week before taking time off so I can be there for the birth of my son. When I got to the airport, was told I was not on the manifest. Called work and my manager at the time said "sorry you had to go to the airport." spent $120 on a cab to and from the airport. HR and my "Union" were of no help as well. But the "Rats" got to keep their jobs before quitting a few months later.Sorry, seems like a rant. But if you have a good crew, it is a fun place to work.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Nepotism in hiring process

You can't only work mikisew but you can learn samething new

Working mikisew is working at home management is very good they can answer every question that you have friendly mikisew is the best company I ever worked

Poor company to work for

Awful upper management, constant lies, terrible hiring practices and zero accountability of upper management and HSE, The company does not pay for any training and expects the employees to pay out of pocket for all of the courses that are required even the higher end courses like loader training and upgrading your licences to higher classes, they do not pay bereavement even if a funeral is out of country, employees must jump through hoops and even sometimes are forced to pay for flights from site when there is a family emergency

Pros

Cons

Lack of training, Poor wages, Poor benefits, Misguided information, Lack of knowledge within safety department.

Most enjoyable job I ever worked.

Great people to work with. Management was excellent and I learned a lot s from them. They gave you time to learn. They teach how to take your time to do the job perfectly.

Worst Camp job I have ever worked

If you don't fit in or if your foreman doesn't like you he will try to get You skidded as quickly as possible this company is a poor Excuse for a job and they should not even be suncor sites Due to high risk safety issues Stay away from this company

Pros

Cons

Safety

1/5 star

They hire people with literally no experience. Green hats become foreman within 2 weeks of work-no prior experience. Management sucks, equipment sucks. Half the crew doesn’t speak English, Not being racist but it’s a huge safety issue. Company is a joke!

Goid company to work for

Good company/ GOOD management/ safety oriented/ fair treatment of employees/ open door policy by management concerning any issues by employees / any issues are reviewed by management and employees on any subject that arises

Extremely unprofessional

Extremely unprofessional, non cooperative and unhealthy style of management. They don't respect if you are not the part of the band. CFO and director don't guide but just blame.

Avoid avoid avoid

It would be a complete waste of any ones time to work at there Kearl Lake Location...Very unprofessional Management.If you have any pride in your work and the company you work for take my advice and save your self alot of grief.

Great Place to Work

It was a pleasure working for this company. The work load is a good steady pace, always something to do and never bored. Upper Management ensured their team members were supported with the right tools and resources for the job.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Mikisew Group of Companies?

fun workplace

fun, hardworking job, once you walk in there are happy hard working people there. learned lots when i worked there. the management is very helpful and good people.the hardest part is leaving. the most enjoyable is getting there to start my shift

poor management

I worked for this company for a year and a half and they are not good The superintendents think they are smarter then they are. They tell you there's room for advancement and they keep hanging that over your head, but there really is no where for you to move up. The superintendents are inexperienced and so they don't know how to run the general foreman's. The general foreman's are equally inexperienced and so the place is not run well. The superintendents think that they are the most important people in the world. The wages are awful. Once you get to the top labourer wages which isn't even that high you can't get any higher. I didn't get a raise the whole time i was there cause i was already at the top but i again reiterate isn't that high. The superintendents chose there friends to fill general foreman and foreman roles, which included even bringing them over from another company instead of advancing people from within the company. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!!!!!

Pros

every other week off

Cons

awful management

Poorly Managed Company. Avoid at all costs!

I did a year in this hole. The whole place was a nightmare. Wages were on the low side and no one else was hiring. Good crew of mechanics to work with for the most part. All the supervisors talk you down behind your back. All our techs had more knowledge then the leads. Low wages ran off all the good employees. Now they just hire what they can get. Horrible management on all levels. Band is heavily in debt. Cut our wages 20% to try and recoup their loses. They should be booted off site due to safety violations and incidents. Just like any other indigenous run comany. They paid the native labourers more than the white technicians. Wapasu was a bad camp with bad food. It was agony having to do 10 days in this place. At least we didn't work hard. You can't get fired from this place unless you try real hard.

Pros

10 days away from this place at a time.

Cons

Everything else.

Very confusing place

A lot of tossing people under the bus. Management has had a lot of turnover and there are people in the wrong positions with lack of education being an issue. Wish I had seen the reviews before I started there.

Pros

Occasional free lunches

Cons

Just about everything else

Good, fun, atmosphere. Good work/life balance. Needs some work in structure and management, but overall makes a good effort that employees can use.

Bad management on all levels

too much information that should be kept at a management level leaking to the office workers. Found out about management performance issues & personal health issues of other workers which was totally disrespectful of personal privacy. Extremely high staff turnover.

Pros

pay cheque

Cons

everything else

Progress quickly if you are a member

Great place to work good people there is a lack in skill set in some of the management. It is a band based company so if you are not a part of the band, or culture it can be hard to work with. There is a lot of unfair actions that happen and the life/work balance is unstable.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Management, Fairness

Worst Job Ever

A typical day working for the company was listening to co-workers complain about the lack of management, horrible work conditions, and how the company was circling the drain. I learned that, in spite of itself, some companies will always exist when they have a niche business; in this case representing a 'First Nations' business alternative. The management was non-existent. Most of the directors worked in a separate building from all the other staff. The direct manager I had closed her door all day and rarely checked on her staff or took the opportunity to share her knowledge with anyone. The Director of Finance took year end off, leaving inexperienced subordinates to carry the load and deal with auditors. The lower level staff were okay. They were in a position where there weren't options for voicing opinions or sharing lessons learned. Many of the staff were lazy, complaining when minor changes where made to their work days because they 'didn't have time' to do the work. All told, some people made the entire environment extraordinarily toxic. The hardest part of the job was actually knowing what I was meant to be doing. My manager provided me with no direction, my staff wouldn't talk to each other, and there was no sense of team at all. The most enjoyable part was leaving at the end of the day.

Pros

Gave me management experience

Cons

Long hours, horrible management, toxic work place

Unpredictable in a bad way

high turnover; but, not only at the operational level. Senior management turnover even worse. Never know who to deal with regarding a question. Too much" throwing people under the bus". When there is a change, the incoming person blames the other person for what is wrong. Little training for new employees. Setting up for failure

Pros

A pay cheque

Cons

management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mikisew Group of Companies. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8