Midwest Surveys Inc. Employee Reviews

Junk
Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK29 March 2019
Office manager in the Regina office is cheap, and doesn't care about his employees. The company is stagnant, when it comes to being innovative. The company is cheep overall.
22 May 2019

Thank you for contributing your perspective on employment at Midwest Surveys.

Like many industries, the municipal surveying field experiences peaks and valleys in business volumes. Cost-conscious decision-making can appear trivial, or "cheap" as you describe; we feel every penny counts towards the company sustaining itself for years to come and, yes, we require employee support in this regard. Allocating resources to terrestrial laser scanning and drone technologies to support our survey products has definitely resulted from our ability to manage cash balances.

We strive to achieve our Mission, Vision and Values. Each of which include our employees; engaging, supporting, and showing commitment to them every step of the way. Your comment that the Office Manager "doesn't care about his employees" is concerning and we will reflect upon practices which aren't working towards our goals.

Because reviews are anonymous, please feel free to contact me should you wish to discuss further at 1-800-387-3032 or email me at kpoxon@midwestsurveys.com. Thanks again, and take care.

Poor work/life balance; reasonable job security.
Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Alberta31 October 2018
Poor work/life balance, at least among field crews. Out of town/away from home for the maximum amount of time they could keep you out, home for 2-3 days, and then back out again. The trips away from home aren't so much the issue (it's the nature of the work) but the lack of a schedule makes pursuing other things in your life very difficult. I can remember many times where field ops managers would phone at the end of each day off to tell me if I had the next one off. Expect to hear about it if you have anything scheduled when they inform you that you are working the next day.

Mediocre wages with little room to move up despite putting in good work and time in. Mid/end-year bonuses are nice. Expect many excuses from managers as to why you will not get a pay raise.

Job security seemed reasonable, but being tied so tightly to oil and gas, expect to take a pay cut or get laid off if oil prices drop significantly. As for advancement, if you are more valuable in your current role, you will not be moving up - even if you've made your desire for a particular position known, are qualified, and have put your time in.

In terms of the type of experience you can gain at Midwest, many of the field crews do one type of job and don't move beyond that. There are simple things that you may learn with other firms such as using a level or total station that many crews generally don't touch at Midwest. I was honestly surprised at the lack of depth many crew chiefs at Midwest show. I don't think that is so much the fault of the crew chiefs necessarily, but more a reality of the limited scope
  more... of work.

The culture could use improvement. Having worked at another survey firm that I still retain very good relations with I was surprised at the level of resentment from SOME managers upon leaving. On the other hand, some people like the equipment manager at a certain office were extremely friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. Some project managers were very good to deal with - providing guidance and insight into how they wanted field work completed. Some, however, were very poor at their jobs relying much too heavily on field staff for guidance and some were both condescending/incompetent.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Lack of a schedule, long periods of time away from home
30 November 2018

Thank you for providing your feedback on your employment experience with Midwest Surveys. Your perspective is important to us. I am sorry to hear you felt scheduling interfered with your personal life. Midwest Surveys includes people as one of its core values and we make every effort to ensure employees have fair work/life balance. Client needs sometimes don't allow us to work around personal plans and scheduling can be a real challenge in these circumstances. We do appreciate the individual sacrifices employees make to ensure deadlines are met.

We aspire to be a fair and equitable employer in all aspects of the employee experience, including compensation strategy and providing positive employee communications and training and development opportunities when available. We are always looking to improve the employee experience and your feedback will be considered going forward.

Because reviews are anonymous, please feel free to contact me should you wish to discuss this, or any other concerns you may have at 1-800-387-3032 or email me at jodonnell@midwestsurveys.com.

A solid place to work when you put in the effort
Land Surveyor and Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 August 2018
Worked at Midwest as a land surveyor for 10 years until 2009. I like many left because of the negative influence of one individual who has since left. Despite all that it's a great company with a lot of history and I'd work there again if they are hiring.
Pros
Great technical staff and support staff, good pay and great benefits.
Cons
A little slow on the Innovation at times
Can’t say too much about it, worked there for less than a year
Chainman (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC3 August 2018
Was a chainman and didn’t do any schooling to be a crew chief so unless you do that there’s not really any room for advancement. Chainman is a good fresh out of school job, would recommend to anyone. Wage was decent for what you do and how easy the job is. Work was simple and if you like quadding/sledding than it’s definitely a job you’ll enjoy.
Pros
Mostly easy laid back work, decent wage, 12 hrs a day, some weekends off
Cons
4 years of schooling to be a crew chief I believe, shoveling and chiseling frozen ground in winter, outside in winter up to -30 any colder usually take day off
Great Company
Survey Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 July 2018
I really enjoyed working for Midwest, the managers care very much for each employee and the work was rewarding. With this job, I was able to see much of the province and gain plenty of field experience.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB20 February 2017
Excellent place to work. Work volumes follow the patterns of the oil and gas industry, so you have to be aware of this when you work for this company. Employee owned and operated which gives the company a great work ethic and culture.
Pros
Career job
Cons
Hard work, not for anyone who is not willing to give 100%
The most honest and truthful review.
Plan checker (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK30 January 2017
My time spent at MS I. was fairly unproductive. I never went anywhere with in the company as far as advancement. I put my time in and went above my job description. 99.6% of the work is oil and gas which should scare any new applicant thinking it's a life long career. Morale was at an all time low and most likely still is. MSI avoids the truth when people voice their concerns and experiences. HR department is very cleaver when it comes to laws and rights, be careful. Wage was not good at all compared to their competition. Very much an old boys club. Worked with alot of great people who were let go to protect company sponsored vehicle allowances, great decision. Bonuses were not exactly helpful compared to the money being generated when it was busy. Attitudes and egos are very large. Experienced some very awful things while working there. Glad I'm done.
Pros
Didnt have to pay for coffee
Cons
Layoffs, egos, attitudes, no professionalism, cliques, poor management, lack of consideration and care, me myself and I

Comment – 15 March 2017

Thanks but no thanks. I no longer have the worry about alternative facts and can live the rest of my life knowing that my past horror is exactly that, the past. Take care and Kcco.

7 February 2017

Thank you for contributing your perspective on the employment experience at Midwest Surveys. I was genuinely concerned to read your comments. As you know, Midwest includes people as one of our core values and we do our best to make fair decisions when it comes to company policies and practices.

Reviews posted here are anonymous, if you would like to address anything further, please contact me directly at 1-800-387-3032 or email kpoxon@midwestsurveys.com. Take care- Midwest Surveys

Dedicated staff and responsible leadership
Human Resources Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 December 2015
Midwest Surveys is a company that encourages growth, supports employee development and mentors its staff. This company is committed to providing its staff with the best resources, with educational and financial assistance, creating meaningful experience and an opportunity to work on challenging projects.

There is lots of fun to be had at Midwest. From Social Club breakfasts, ski trips, Wine-O-Survivor, potlucks, holiday parties and retirement parties. The staff at Midwest knows how to bring play into their workplaces.
Pros
Fun place to work. Awesome people. Employee Bonuses. EHSA.
Professional Employee's own company
Geomatics Technologist (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK16 November 2015
Midwest Surveys is a professional land surveying company. My first job in Canada as Geomatics Technologist was there and I learnt a lot because of its friendly environment and highly skilled management.
Pros
Highly technical staff
Cons
Everybody is having single job or responsibility forever which is boring sometimes.
16 August 2016

Thank you for taking your time to write this review, we appreciate your feedback and experience at Midwest Surveys Inc.

Friendly team oriented environment
Administrative (Current Employee) –  Office18 July 2015
Overall, a good place to work and develop your career. Employees are treated with respect and management genuinely cares for their personal development.
Collaborative and highly engaged company to work with.
Corporate HR Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary6 May 2015
I had the opportunity to work closley with a stellar President and COO over the course of my time with MSI. The company was very progressive and focused on delivering exceptional service and keeping employees engaged with meaningful work and appreciation of their efforts. The management team was a gift to work with offering a high appreciation and value for HR's contribution and support. MSI fosters a strong culture of safety, ethical and a respectful workplace.