MIDAS Employee Reviews for Automotive Technician

jeff hall is greedy
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON17 September 2018
always ripping people off. he would take the last dollar from you with a smile on his face. up charging seniors for parts they dont fully need. the wage is a joke always making promises his as cant cash
Local clientel may leave a hole in your pocket
Auto Service Technician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 July 2018
The location I worked at has never been profitable - unfortunately the clients I dealt with on a daily basis were extremely hard to make any meaningful sale with. Many expected prices for simple things such as oil changes to be lower than the cost of the materials and labor for the time it took to do the job. The company has a reputation to many for just doing oil changes, when many shops are equipped to do a wide range of services. The quarterly distributed corporate Midas coupons might be to blame for that outlook.

Work itself was fairly comfortable. Often one's day would be composed of changing oil on at least four vehicles, replacing around 4 sets of brakes, repairing a puncture in a tyre, and seasonal tyre changeovers. Uncommon services at my location included engine head cover gaskets, spark plugs and ignition wires/ignition coils (depending on the system used), changing McPherson struts, tie rods, stabalizer links and very rarely lower control arms. I personally never felt overworked, even after a long day of repeatedly doing oil changes.
Pros
Locations tend to be in high traffic areas - should always have work, my boss bought lunch for everyone working in the shop.
Cons
There's a stigma build on the Midas brand that leaves mobility at a minimum.
Decent place to work before new managemn took over.
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 July 2018
Great co-workers, hours are reasonable, overtime was rare but not opposed to. Management was reasonable, pay was on the lower side, but made up for by decent people.
Productive atmosphere
Third year Auto Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 February 2018
Management and other employees helped with my career. Grandfathered me in for my 3rd. year apprenticeship as an Automotive Service Technician. A great place to work.
Pros
Good team working enviroment
Cons
Not enough work
my work days
Automotive Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON20 January 2018
Starting at 7.45 most days and work to 6pm saturday from 7.45 to 3 .Hard part of my job is doing many things at once sometimes it gets overwhelming in regards to many things but you have to do whats best for the company i get that no problem .. Most of the time i like keep the peace and solve problems to to keep things calm and try to be in order sometime that dosn't always work . I get along and work well with all staff members , there is good days and bad days . I have learned alout over the last 30 years and don't mind sharing my knowledge and my tools . As far as management they have a job to do and i work my best to work with them not against they can always come to me and lean on me with a problem and know that i will give 110 % that what makes companies move forward that is the most important thing to me these days.Overall i liked where i was and what i was doing life was good

Comment – 30 March 2018

Yes life was just ok but it could have been a whole lot better pay was below average i still don't no why the released me seems strange

worst place ever, so thankful i quit there
Automotive Service Technician (Former Employee) –  London, ON30 April 2017
management was the worst there, the owner was also manager, would not recommend this place to anyone looking for a job, even to "get their foot in the door", was very unhappy working at this place, biggest regret of my life, wouldn't doubt that there are more mechanics who would agree.
Good company to work for
Automotive Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 December 2016
Midas is a good company and i quite enjoyed working here.

The people are friendly and patient,

Nearly unachievable bonus system.

You do need to have almost all your own tools, shop has nearly no tools.

you get paid weekly

not flat rate, just hourly

Lay offs happen in the winter season
Pros
you get to drive cars, organized shop, friendly
Cons
bonus system is almost bogus, no shop tools, layoffs, lots of unpaid overtime
Great place
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 August 2016
Great place to work. Professional, reliable and efficient. They are honest and will treat the customer like family
company owner at time went under
Automotive Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON23 October 2014
I hated my job, owner was treating store like a piggy bank not an investment
Worst place I ever worked
Automotive Service Technician (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON15 July 2012
The service technician very skilled and friendly. Lots on opportunities to learn the mechanics of the automotive trade. Managment/Owner was very bad to thier customers. Thankfully they went bankrupt and owner is not working in the industry anymore
Pros
picked up lots on hand on knowledge of automoblies
Cons
owner was no good to his employees or customers
Quiet Garage
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 July 2012
Work 8-6:30
Learned Various Automotive Repair Techniques
Management was fair
Pros
free lunch, friendly staff
Cons
long hours, owner not in touch with employees