MIDAS Employee Reviews

I did co-op there. Not too bad tbh
Service Technician Assistant (CO-OP) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 April 2019
One of the guys was rude to me for almost the whole semester, but I mean other than that, they don’t scam people, they know what they’re doing, and they get it done
Pros
You can fix your car there if you work there
Cons
Unpaid lunches (employee told me)
very fun and exciting place to work at
Service Advisor/Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 April 2019
The owners of the company were new to the automotive field when they purchased the company, but within 5 years of owning this company it was and still is today a desired place to be employed at.
Fast paced and Learned a lot!
Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 March 2019
Great program, learned a ton.
Days go by so fast as it was always busy where I was.
Had a great manager to work for and he was very knowledgable on business and customer service.
Pros
Decent pay, nice spiffs
Cons
long hours some times.
Amazing place to work
Co-op Student (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON25 March 2019
I am here as a co-op student and I couldn’t be happier with it. All the guys are amazing to work with and take the time to teach me the trade. Being the only girl in the shop they make me feel very comfortable and include me in all the work.
Pros
Amazing people
Family run business
Service Adviser (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON28 February 2019
Gave me opportunity to deal with public. Analyze problems and recommend repairs. The shop was always busy so made the work day go by fast. Utilized time management skills to ensure jobs were done in a timely manner ensuring jobs were done correctly.
Very Productive
CO-OP Student (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 February 2019
Typical day are easy. I learned a lot of new ways to fix automobiles. Management was really nice. The hardest part of the job was tires. Most enjoyable part learning about other workers.
Volatile
Technician (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON18 January 2019
A cutthroat place to work . Management feeds their pets everyone else get oil changes and bogus jobs . Not a wise move for anyone unless its for resume padding . Backstabbing is the norm . Sad but true .
Pros
Meet great people .
Cons
Everything else .
Good employer
Apprentice Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 January 2019
MIdas was a good clean work place. Fair pay and good treatment. I would recommend it to others looking for work in automotive industry. Over all good place to work.
Good garage
Apprentice Mechanic (Former Employee) –  79 Rue Principale, Châteauguay, QC J6K 1G119 December 2018
They work well, carefully and they are very responsible for their customers. They have good reputations and it is clean their, only salary is a little low
Typical day at work
Automotive Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 December 2018
Always keeping busy doing what needed to be done of me in the trade while working at Midas. Taken procedures to even be put on calling list to call customers back for work to be done
Regular shop, respectful employees and employers
Automotive Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2018
Good environment, respectful employees and employer, clean shop with clear windows so customers can see the work that’s been done on their cars, trustworthy shop
Pros
Bonus structure
Cons
Payment according skills
jeff hall is greedy
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON17 September 2018
always ripping people off. he would take the last dollar from you with a smile on his face. up charging seniors for parts they dont fully need. the wage is a joke always making promises his as cant cash
Difficult Staff, Difficult Owners
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 August 2018
This review speaks for the store that I worked at and NOT the company as a whole. Technicians were not friendly, lied to staff and refused to teach female apprentices. Management encouraged misleading customers as to the in total cost of repairs and hired staff under the table.
Pros
Access to training tools for a variety of vehicles
Cons
Everything else
Local clientel may leave a hole in your pocket
Auto Service Technician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 July 2018
The location I worked at has never been profitable - unfortunately the clients I dealt with on a daily basis were extremely hard to make any meaningful sale with. Many expected prices for simple things such as oil changes to be lower than the cost of the materials and labor for the time it took to do the job. The company has a reputation to many for just doing oil changes, when many shops are equipped to do a wide range of services. The quarterly distributed corporate Midas coupons might be to blame for that outlook.

Work itself was fairly comfortable. Often one's day would be composed of changing oil on at least four vehicles, replacing around 4 sets of brakes, repairing a puncture in a tyre, and seasonal tyre changeovers. Uncommon services at my location included engine head cover gaskets, spark plugs and ignition wires/ignition coils (depending on the system used), changing McPherson struts, tie rods, stabalizer links and very rarely lower control arms. I personally never felt overworked, even after a long day of repeatedly doing oil changes.
Pros
Locations tend to be in high traffic areas - should always have work, my boss bought lunch for everyone working in the shop.
Cons
There's a stigma build on the Midas brand that leaves mobility at a minimum.
Decent place to work before new managemn took over.
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 July 2018
Great co-workers, hours are reasonable, overtime was rare but not opposed to. Management was reasonable, pay was on the lower side, but made up for by decent people.
Don't go there unless you're desperate for a job or experience
Employee (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 July 2018
1. Pay is way below average in the industry
2. Bonus structure is a joke and if you do your math before taking the job you will understand that the commission They pay is peanuts and Makes you feel like the trow you a bone once in a while .
3. Management is deceiving and changes it's mind all the time so better have it written otherwise you'll be treated like a fool.
4.shops look like backyard garage and the owner refuse to repair basic stuff and buy tools needed to get the job done .
5.some of the Tech's are grumpy but it's because they been with Midas for too long.
6. Most of the time you deal with dilapidated rusted cars that the owners don't care about .
7. Winter time it's so slow you might find yourself unemployed.
8. Turnover of staff is so high you will have hard time to remember their names.
9. Social events are a joke .
10. if you have plans for your life like more than being a tech or a counter person avoid Midas .
Pros
I didn't see any pros while working for Midas
Cons
Pay, Hours, Job security, Management and last but not least the place your career has zero perspective .
great place to first start out
Apprentice Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 July 2018
good place for a starting tech. do not expect to get paid bank at this placement. I have learned some valuable skills and information that will give definitely assist me on my journey.
Low pay shop
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB29 June 2018
Company pays far less than industry standards, would not recommend working here for very long. Shop was slow, management refused to be flexible for the sake of efficiency. Overall would not work here again.
Doesn't give you a chance
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON15 June 2018
Worked for 2 days then they said I wasn't catching on to things fast enough.how can you learn things in 2 days? I did learn a few things...other than that it was good..
Pros
Good hours
Cons
They expect you to catch on right away
Fun workplaces
Apprentice Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON22 May 2018
Never really got the chance to work there as i was only there for 3 months because they couldn't support three apprentices. The other guys in the shop were very easy to get along with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MIDAS. Our community is ready to answer.