Mid Island Cabinets

Mid Island Cabinets Employee Reviews in Parksville, BC

Parksville, BC13 reviews

Lack of management experience

Every manager has no experience and only promote their friends. They have no interest in listening to any ideas. But it's who you know not how good you are

Reasonable company, unreasonable industry

Good coworkers, great equipment and facilities, good product and lots to learn. Systems are reasonably set-up.Millwork industry is a tough one. It's easy to lose money via small mistakes, it's tough to get good work, clients are fickle, and construction scheduling does not jive with cabinet scheduling. This breeds companies that are high pressure, fast paced, with cultures that promote blame finding, with managers who are unforgiving of mistakes. Mid island cabinets was not free of those problems, but no shop is. If you complain about these issues; understand it's more systematic of the industry than a company problem.I would work here again in the future.

Pros

Good product, fun employees, nice facility

Cons

Usual cabinet Industry problems

Insights into Mid Island Cabinets

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Do not work there

Worst place to ever work horrible management horrible pay STAY AWAY I went to the washroom one time and the owner was standing there waiting for an employee to come out and he asked me how long he has been in there. Just wrong

Steer clear

Only giving one star because giving no stars isn't an option! Terrible company to work for... Save your time and sanity and just don't bother doing it.

Pros

N/a

Unprofessional

I gave it my all here but there are many better cabinet and woodworking places to be employed at. I found the owner and management unprofessional and unorganized and promises made were never kept. Lots of “throwing people under the bus” and high school type behavior. Too stressful! I also saw many WorksafeBC violations that nobody dealt with after bringing it to managements attention. I enjoy woodwork but working here took away my passion for it. No thank you.

Pros

Sadly, nothing.

Cons

poor treatment of employees overall.

Bad Company to work for

I worked at MIC for over 2 years.I finally quit because I was always coming home stressed out, unhappy & angry.Best decision I made while working there - was to quit.Owner and management constantly harass you. Tell you that you are no good and worthless.There are no raises.Lots of turn over in staff because of the way they treat people.There are many jobs and employers out there. Value YOURSELF and don't waste your time working at MIC

Pros

Leaving

Cons

Arriving

Not a place you’ll want to stay long!

I didnt like working here at all and others will say the same. Although I have years of expereince, am hardworking, and am easy to get along with and always keen to learn more, I wasnt treated well and I, along with other co-workers, did not like being constantly watched wherever we went via cameras, being timed, being yelled at and dealing with an owner and manager with no positive communication skills who had everyone always walking on eggshells and feeling threatened. Very high stress and disorganized place and universal low morale. Lots of big promises but no delivery. Ridiculous benefit package. I was hoping this would be a positive place with great teamwork, but no. I easily found work elsewhere in the same field in the same Oceanside area for way more money and benefits, great relationshps with the higher-ups and much better treatment over all. Keep in mind that this business sites “free parking” as one of its perks. In truth, parking is free everywhere in Oceanside and their worksite sits on a massive piece of property in the country, so not exactly a perk.

Pros

A big zero

Cons

Everything! Management, pay, working conditions, low pay, etc.

19 April 2021
We are sorry that your experience here was unpleasant.We value your feedback

Very stressful environment

Unfortunately, Mid Island Cabinets Parksville is very poorly run & managed and myself and other coworkers always feel undervalued, disrespected, and patronized. Trying to approach management or the owner with a problem is difficult. Very high turnover rate which says a lot. No bonuses, low wage cap, minimal benefits, no praise....zero incentive to do a great job here. Rumour has it that this business is on the brink of closing for several reasons, so not your best bet if looking for anything long term. As soon as Covid19 is gone, I’ll be looking elsewhere.

Pros

Cons

Poor management, no incentives, no respect, stressful environment

19 April 2021
We are sorry that this is a stressful environment it is not meant to be that way. As far as wages go Indeed has this great app that shows us the industry standard for certain departments. Indeed collects data from across the country and we are above the standard.

Stressful and unhappy place to work

If you work there for a few days or a few years - constant harassment from management and owner. Your job is constantly threatened. Harassment and verbal and physical violence is normal there. Co-workers can be just as bad. Arguments are a daily occurrence. The management style there is to Intimidate the staff. Constant bullying.

Pros

Cons

Management and Owner

19 April 2021
I must say sorry that your time at MIC has been poor please speak with upper management IN regards to this Violence of any sort should not be put up with. Thank you for your feed back.

Managment needs improvement

Owners doesn't care about his employees and makes that clear. The manegment and owner need to care more about the employees and make it clear to us that they care.

Pros

Nothing.

overall happy

Overall happy, hard work, plenty of avaible work,fast paced, good co workers, steady work,heavy lifting, long days,long hours,plnety of break time, understanding at most times

Pros

Sufficient work stable work pace

Cons

managment

good crew of people with good job security

I have been working at MIC for almost 2 years now. I find this place a great place to work, the people are great and they all have good attitudes. I have always been told what to do and how to do it in a safe manner. I also like all the over time. They also keep showing me new things that's helping me advance in the shop. I have never seen or even herd of a layoff, so thats awesome job security for me and my family.

Pros

over time

Cons

time lines can be hard ( thats the housing industry tho )

Good place to learn how build a foundation of skills

Good place to work to create a good foundation of skills. From saw work to fine finishing. Hand tools such as routers, hand files, chisels, hand planers,staple guns.

Pros

Paid breaks with exception of lunch

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mid Island Cabinets. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement