Microtel Inn & Suites
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Microtel Inn & Suites Employee Reviews

Canada34 reviews
well well where do I start in the beginning it was a great wage and with previous experience easy to jump into.. as my time when on I found after a change in management that some of the staffs true colors came out. And to find out I was hired at the top of the pay scale with no raises while I found out at our sister property someone was making more than the scale
Originally was hired to evening front desk but as time went on my previous experience the used to have me work any shift in any order wqs promised that I wouldn't be all over the place but I was lied to about that
Working for the Microtel Inn and Suites by Wyndham was always a great personal challenge for one who enjoys sunny days with the surprise of a rain shower. The probability of all sunny days does not allow for personal growth process. To genuinely express and convey care with guest experience at the hotel, depended on attitude and personal goal achievement. The hotel was a great size of 100 guest rooms, a handful of dedicated housekeeping staff who took pride in learning and sharing proper clean methods. There was always room for growth and to advance into new paths and knowledge within the hotel departments. It takes a communicative management staff to groom and notice these rising stars and guide them to greater positions. The Microtel has that management. The consistency in managment helps mold professionalism for those looking to continue in the hospitality field.
Pros
bbq lunches/pizza lunches, great staff xmas party, clean & new hotel, discounted friends and family hotel rates, benefit package, walking path to excersize nextdoor, a wide variety of happy guests( family, work, business, ) clean well maintained pet floor
The general manager and the mgmt staff give you every opportunity to learn, try and advance in duties and responsibilities. If you royally mess up the owners and GM don't hold it against you. 2nd chances are rare in companies but with this one they do everything possible to give it.
The typical work day in housekeeping is around 6-7 hours and sometimes on rare occasions much longer. The staff I worked with were great and sometimes we didn't always agree with or like each other but that's to be expected in any group of people from staff to family. The hardest part is learning you are going to hurt from muscles you didn't know you had and that some guests aren't always pleasant. The enjoyable part of the job was talking with the guests who you sometimes just woken up with your knocking on their door.
Pros
Lots of learning and teaching to be had
Cons
Lots of laundry to be folded and rare times long hours
Great place to work and grow as a family, other than poor maintenance worker. Very welcoming and are like family. Take good care of the workers at the work place
Pros
Great workers
Cons
Fired for no reasons
I enjoyed working in this company. I learned a lot. And gained extra knowledge that I think I can use in my future endeavor. Staff are very friendly and approachable.
Wonderful place to work, staff is amazing and I loved every moment of it, yes it is hard work but you are given the time you need and work with amazing people the only reason I’m not working there right now is because I was on Matt leave and then covid19 happened when I was to go back
Worked 12+ hours a day and would often get called in on my days off. Workplace was full of drama and the manager did absolutely nothing to stop it. Worked there for over a year and I can't even remember how many employees came through, the turn-around for workers was insanely quick. Would not recommend working for this company.
I enjoyed working at microtel. They supervisors gave me the proper training and allowed me to try new positions that allowed me to grow. Communication between housekeeping and front staff was awesome everyone knew what was going and there was always a plan.
Great company to work for you have a great team in the head office which are very supportive. Also have room for growth.
They believe in a balanced work and family lifestyle.

Highly recommend working here.
I liked working for Microtel Inn & Suites while i was there! Awesome management, friendly coworkers, nice place to work. I just couldnt deal with the slower seasons. Hours were cut back, and i couldnt deal with low hours.
Pros
Free fitness room time!
Cons
Inconsistent hours during off season.
Beautiful hotel, but management just blames everything on everyone else that works there and same with head office. They do not stand behind there employees there only in it for the money. You are over worked, and barely ever have advanced notice to what your schedule is or will be, you never know if you will get your days off as management would never go in to fill in on peoples sick days. Management is good until a mistake is made, and then it’s a pick and choose what staff member will be blamed. Favouritism to certain nationalities is a big thing, I mean a hotel that has 25+ staff and only has 2 actual Canadians working there, and there is the pressure on those 2 pushing them out the door
Pros
Decent salary, good benefits, great staff
Cons
Over worked, not appreciated, constant fear of being blamed for something
I have been working at Microtel inn Red Deer for more than two years.
some people don't like change, the new management especially the GM are very professional and appreciated.

We have bbq always and we feel appreciated and everyone love to work here.

Thank you Mr. GM for supporting and make our hotel the best for everyone.
I wouldn't recommend working here. The housekeeping manager will tell you everything you want to hear and doesn't do anything that is said. It's a very negative and unpleasant place to work at. The GM is unprofessional and will treat you poorly. They work you hard and don't recognize your effort. The worst place I've ever worked. Don't bother wasting your time applying to this toxic work place. So many people quit while I worked there. I'm glad I left.
The average workday during the busy season is 6-8 hours a day. The GM is a nice guy who is very approachable and easy to talk to but he avoids confrontation and dealing with certain situations that would lead to confrontation and him being labelled the bad guy. The current housekeeping manager disrespects, mistreats, bullies, and uses the GM as a weapon against her staff. Staff can go to the GM about her and he will avoid the whole situation or come off as he is defending her deplorable and despicable behaviour. It is rather sad, he would ruin his reputation as a great boss and being a nice guy over somebody who creates hostility and hate for the job and the company within an extremely short time of being hired. If staff go to the owners, the owners tell you if she isn't the manager then somebody else will be and you will still be unhappy with something. Plain and simply they rather keep this current housekeeping manager than the many good employees they have lost because of her. They will continue their high turn over rate and blame it on being the type of business they are. The rest of the staff I worked with made dealing with the housekeeping manager bearable. The hardest part of the job going to work and dealing with the housekeeping manager who happily taunts her staff that the GM and the company has her back protected. The staff morale is extremely low. They put a happy face on for the guests to hide the discontent and mutiny happening within. All the while, they are job hunting on company wifi. The most enjoyable part of the job is the rest of the staff and the guests.
Pros
The guests
Cons
Current Housekeeping manager is a nightmare to work for and with.
Poor management skills, professionalism and communication skills in both gm and housekeeping manager. Works you to the bone. Unrealistic expectations. Disorganized.
Housekeeping is a hard job and I respect anyone who does this job and stays. I learned how much goes into this industry and am grateful for the experience
G.M. is a bully, he belittles his employees, makes derogatory remarks, he yells, swears, uses intimidation , lies, and when you stand up for yourself you are fired. He thinks any woman is beneath him and he is a dispicable person. Management is not the only problem. You do not want to work at Microtel gasoline alley.
Cons
everything
Work you to the bone, promise promotions pay increase and then nothing GM very unprofessional swears takes tantrums. Doesn't give a straight answer.
Cons
great hotel to work and learn, new management and good friendly work place
they balance between work and life, flexible with the schedules and employees are happy and positive ..........................
Pros
learning
At the time that I worked there, management was not good. They were rude and unsupportive to their staff and basically made us fend for ourselves most of the time.
I did enjoy working for this company, I am very much a people person. But I did sometimes feel uncomfortable talking to my manager or asking for help from her. And although I was hired part-time, When I first started i was working almost everyday which was fine with me, but then I started to only get 1 shift a week or less. And not even in the position I was hired in.
Pros
My co-workers were very friendly
Cons
Non-stable hours