Michelin

Michelin Employee Reviews

Canada94 reviews
I shouldn’t have left but the arthritis in my hands was bothering me and I had a store manager position offered to me and I left and then that position fell through
Worked Bridgewater Service T from Sept 2019-July 2020,$13 per hour to lift 10000+kg's of weight per 8 hout shift,totaly Inept B.U.L, favoritism blatantely shown,drugs run rampant thru the whole facility which is widely known by management who simply turns a blind eye,the most cut throat place I have ever worked,cliques averywere,if tour not in one your pushed out the door these actions are supported by management
Pros
Cons
Worked there for 30 years. Fair place to work shift work requires good sleep habits to keep up with fast pace production line. Good Salary & benefits. Lots of extra aspects of the job if you want to get a head. Good permanent job
I loved working at Michelin! I was only employed there for the student summer program that they have in place for students who are off for the summer from university. However, I would definitely recommend Michelin as an option fr employment to anyone.
-Great pay for Nova Scotia
-Great Benefits

-Challenging but rewarding work

-Great Schooling

-Great work atmosphere

-Shift work ( nights, weekends and Holidays )
They work you extremely hard, which isn't a bad thing. It is really good for summer students to experience an industrial environment and work with different people.
Should stand behind their family values commitment rather than punish you for missing work due to family medical issues. I believe one on one meetings with management should replace statistic based decisions due to the fact that life can be stressful
If you work production all the jobs are physical. 12 hour shifts are brutal but the money is reasonable for this area. If you keep your head down and interact with the right people and say the right things you can advance. The days can be long and hard and at times very hard not to lose your cool.
Very accommodating when it comes to injuries. However, as a contractor, Michelin is not about your well being and have no obligation to aide you in any way because you are NOT their employee.
Michelin is a great place to get a foot in the door (as an Engineer) and that is were the positives of Michelin stops. Long working hours are required with mediocre pay (as well as no OT pay). Also, plant(s) are located 1.5-2 hours outside the main city and the living location is extremely undesirable for a young new grad.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Michelin?
Maintenance workers are not fairly paid for what they bring to the table, compared to those in production. As well as benefits are slowly being robbed from employees.
My position at Michelin was maintenance (tech scholar) as co-op for school. I enjoyed my work experience, my co-workers were amazing people, and management was great. It's fast paced work sometimes but nothing a proficient person cant handle, and the hours and pay are more than fair. I highly recommend working for Michelin.
They focus on safety a lot because it's a tire factory, and they provide the PPE needed to do the job safely.
Pros
Flexible hours, good salary, great work/life balance, amazing co-workers, good management
Cons
Noisy (they provide ear protection), hot environment (in some sectors), physically demanding (depending on your position)
The Job requires you to be fit and quick to last there long.
You will find it hard to work in a 24h environment, 2X12hours day shifts

2X12Hrs Nights or 3Xshifts depends on the shop you land in you will be on call at least 3 times a month on your days off.

Great Pension+Benefits+Salary, But man is it ever hard on the body.

Management is a bit Wacky when it comes to moving up, you'll move up if your father or a relative worked has seniority if not wait for your turn to come in the next decade or so.

A lot of injuries and accidents, no wonder they have their own Ambulance.

Anyway, its a job and it pays well for not having a trade or a Diploma.

A bit stressful to work there as there's a Daily Target which is hard to achieve when you have machines that are 45 Years old...

Proceed with caution !!!
great company to work for. Employees are constantly encouraged to improve their careers by offering different programs. The benefit packages are great.
I was able to travel and work to provide specialized solutions to various manufacturing plants across Nova Scotia. I was able to learn from some of Michelin's incredible minds and specify some solutions through capital projects and various projects to augment environment health and safety.
Managment could use some help but overall a good place to work. Adequate breaks with a nice cafeteria open night and day. The only issue some people might have is the long 12 hour shifts but the pay is worth it.
Management can be slow at times, but overall works well. People are supportive and team-work is valued here. There are many cogs in this machine. Over time you will feel like you fit in more and more.
The 'dayshifters' will say that safety is the number one priority, and that might have been true in another part of the plant, but not in tire building. They expect you to build, build, build, and then build some more. They care about production over anything else. I know one person, who recently started, was told to only take so much break time because their production numbers were low. This person never took long breaks. EVER! Very good work ethic, just didn't have the speed of an experienced builder.
I suffer with diagnosed mental health issues, and when asked by my doctor and psychologist to find a better work environment, we still couldn't find a good fit. ( They didn't try ) I quit because of this. Shift work is extremely hard on your body and mind. I don't recommend it not matter where you work. It is hard to find a work life balance when working days and nights.

As for the atmosphere and colleagues, there are SO MANY CLIQUES! If you weren't brown nosing or 'in' with the right people, you will not get ahead. Sadly a lot of great, hard working employees get passed over.

One positive thing, you will make friends with some people you work with because you spend more time with them than your families.
Pretty good workplace, my friends liked it. I found it was a little too hard & hard for me so I quit after two weeks of it. The salary was above min wage and it was easy for a young guy like me to get a job here.
Cons
Long hours, hard work.
This is the best machine shop. This is the exact environment I want to work in. They are very organized and very helpful. Each day new jobs and work came at us, so lots of learning.
Enjoyed the pay and the people I worked with but the mangers and the constant change of night to days all the time really sucked always was tired and had to sleep on my days off