Michaels Employee Reviews

Definetly a fun place to be as a shopper and a team member
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2018
Helping and hearing out creative art ideas is a dream work environment.
The only downside is that there are not enough full-time positions and I needed a 40-50h/week shift instead of just 20h/week.
Fun stuff. Cuatomera are dun to create with
Cashier/associate(seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 January 2018
Really busy for a craft store. Makes you wantvto create everyday. More then just being a cashier and standing in one spot for hours. Love seeing the new stuff that always comes in.
Fine, a decent part-time job.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 January 2018
As any part-time job there are pros and cons. The pros, fun working environment and early hours good for a shift before going to class for the day. Cons, early hours and can be stressful when work needs to be completed in a timely matter.
Easy Work
Réapprovisionnement et Spécialiste du Soutien (Former Employee) –  Quebec23 January 2018
I enjoyed my five years at Michaels, no it's not perfect and some of its procedures could be better but all in all I can't say I don't miss it. Obviously from store to store it's different. I got lucky and had very nice and open managers. People from different departments (cashier, replenishment) worked as a team and made it enjoyable.
Pros
They really cared about break time, you were not allowed to skip. Very close relation between district manager, store management and employees.
Cons
Not a lot of hours. If you're looking for stable hours, this is not the place.
fun place to work
Operations Manager, Replen (Current Employee) –  Kanata23 January 2018
I really enjoyed my time at Michaels. there was a great team , we always had fun. The only issue many had was with upper management. But they didn't come in too often, maybe that's the reason
Fun
Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON19 January 2018
This was a fun place to work. I enjoyed the atmosphere and all of the tasks I was given to do. They were quite flexible and understanding. Best place I’ve worked.
Seasonal merchandising
Early morning Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC18 January 2018
Working with Michaels wasn’t bad. I liked the fact that I had the rest of the day to myself after work. The managers and employee were helpful and kind. The work itself was pretty simple and easy but I got 4-10 hours a week and that wasn’t enough for me. Also salary is about 11.25-11.50 which isn’t bad. Overall it is a good place to work at if you don’t want that many hours.
Pros
Manager and employees are very kind
Cons
Not enough hours
Reasonable wage and flexible schedule
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 January 2018
Managers raised my wage after the first three months of me being there without me having to ask. They are also very flexible with their schedule, if I was unable to find child care there was always someone more then happy to take my shift and help me out.
Management and Human Resources
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Minas, NS16 January 2018
New Minas, Nova Scotia: Management had some strange ideas about ethics and hiring policies! I was deeply disappointed by the business in my local area. I am reviewing this company so others may be aware of the evident struggles to be fair-minded and treat their staff well.
Pros
None that I have heard
Cons
Abundant
decent work atmosphere.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON15 January 2018
Working as a cashier at Michael's arts and crafts store is an enjoyable job, the staff is always very helpful. There is a fair amount of retail experience to be gained.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
irregular hours
decline to review
Store Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  variuos9 January 2018
do not wish to review this company at this time. When I left, company was undergoing major change at all management levels. Was not a great working environment.
I loved working here.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2018
As an artist working at Michaels was like a dream.

A typical day at work was me arriving at the break room, putting on the uniform, getting a mic and a scanner, and going to where ever I was needed. Most tasks at Michaels were simple things like opening the paint cabinet, and telling people where the product they needed was, and then walking them to it. Something I needed to do a lot of was auditing. Putting misplaced merchandise back to where it was supposed to be, as well as putting out new stock.

I learned how to use a trash compactor, and how to put out product using a scanner, as well as how to effectively coordinate with a team to find products for customers.
Pros
Great work environment, always engaging customers, paid breaks
Cons
Occasionally understaffed
Michaels
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS9 January 2018
Michaels is a great company to work for. Many great products. Management at the Dartmouth Crossing location needs work but over all I enjoy working for them.
Fun Environment
Part Time Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 January 2018
Creative space
Opportunities for different creative focuses
Management was alright
Poor scheduling
Poor salaries for hardworking employees
Can be very hectic
Don't work here unless you can handle lots of glitter
Pros
Fun Space
Cons
Poor pay
Productive and a great place.
Seasonal Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON7 January 2018
The Michaels Belleville location is a very productive team with amazing employees, especially management. Everyone is so loving and caring and amazing. If you need a ride home all you have to do is ask. Guaranteed you will have 2-3 people offering a ride home instead of letting you walk. Michaels is an amazing place to work and very enjoyable. every day spent there was bettering my skills. Management and other employees gladly help you in a situation no questions asked. It's honestly an amazing place.
Pros
Amazing people and enjoyable events to be a part of, Very understanding.
Cons
Sometimes they cant work around schooling so you might have to switch a shift with someone.
Awesome Place for a first time job!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB4 January 2018
Awesome staff, overall great place to work! I am so glad that this was my first job position. Discount was great, employees were great, customers could sometimes be negative but overall it was a good experience.
Same work every day
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 January 2018
Typical day at work is usually the same requirements and jobs. Don't really learn anything new. Has flexible hours and other employees are easy to get along with.
Excellent Management
Support Specialist (Key Holder) (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC3 January 2018
The store manager is wonderful to work for. Her outgoing sunny disposition makes it a joy to go to work every day. She is very approachable if you have issues with your job or schedule.
Basic Retail Experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB22 December 2017
Michaels was great for me as I am a crafty individual and enjoyed helping customers with their crafting needs.
I had previous retail and cashier experience when I was younger, so I didn't learn more but did continue to grow my customer service and communication skills.
The hours were not conducive to family living as there could be late nights or fewer hours in a week.
Pros
discount
Cons
inconsistent hours
didnt work here long
Cashier/stock (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB12 December 2017
great place to work. down side is there is lots to know with minimal training. expected to know where everything is even though you are never allowed to leave the till. smell of the store can get to you depending on the time of year.
Pros
work with crafting supplies
Cons
expectations with no proper training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K