Michaels Employee Review

Dead end position unless you have management experience
customer experience associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton On30 September 2012
I've been with Michaels as an associate for over 10 years. I'm still a part time associate. When they changed the store positions I tried to apply for a management postion but didn't have any previous management experience.
A typical day is greeting customers and trying to keep the store clean also backing up cash.
My co workers are easy to get along with, management is willing to help you out. If you want to move up you have to apply internally or move to another store where the position is available. I bend over backwards for customers and the store and never received any recognition for my services, even though I have let management know that I'm interested in promotions rewards.They also started associate of the month, a class instructor got it instead of an associate.
You will learn a lot about crafts, organizing and prioritizing customers. You may also have to deal with upset customers if the managers are busy with a conference call or other things. You will also learn about policies and the pros and conds of how big box companies work.
The hardest part is dealing with people that think there isn't enough people working there or that the lines are too long when we have all the registers open. Or when you're the only person on the floor during busy times and being pulled in a million directions at once. Some times I want to ask if they would be willing to work until 9:30pm or longer on Saturday night.... Which is what I usually get stuck with. The most enjoyable part of the job is actually beng able to help some one find what they need or make them feel more confident about
  more... their projects.
Scheduling can be a problem; some times availability gets ignored or they ask you to come in when you booked time off. Some times the only hours I get is on weekends and if I need a weekend off I won't get any hours during the week. Also I've noticed if I take on extra hours one week my hours would often get cut for the next week. My manager was just told to hire 6 new people and they don't have enough hours to go around. If they scheduled better then they wouldn't have to hire people.
I don't have much of a life out side of Michaels because I'm always working on the weekends or evenings, they don't give me enough hours to make a living off of this place. I've tried to get other jobs but things never work out and one of the managers has thretened me with firing me if I wasn't able to keep them a priority. Even if they do give you a raise it's not even noticable until you look at your pay check.
Pros
the staff i worked with was great
Cons
late evenings and not enough hours to go around

Other Michaels Employee Reviews

Easy going
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON12 April 2018
Typical day included working at register cashing customers out, telling people which aisle a product was located in, maintaining a clean environment. Easy going, good as a first job.
wonderful
Cashier/ Shelf Stocker/ Custom Framer (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON6 April 2018
the people are wonderful to work with. its a great company, by far one of my favorite jobs, they take the time to know you and help you help them help others

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K