Michaels Employee Reviews

Great people and great team
Part-time Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON17 June 2018
The working environment at Michaels is amazing. The team there is very welcoming and friendly which really helps building relationships with those who work there. I could not have asked for a better work family!
fun and safe work enviroment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NS15 June 2018
Management is respectful of not only customers but the employees also. The employees are very kind and help one another as a family. It is a great store to shop and work at!
Pros
safe and kind enviroment
Awesome people, fun environment, fast paced
Seasonal Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 June 2018
My typical day at work was to check out the customers, answer phone calls, do returns, etc. During the closing shifts I was responsible for sweeping the floors, wiping down the counters, doing the final announcements, and ensuring everything was put back in its place. Through the job I learned better communication skills. I loved my managers, they were very friendly and understanding. The workplace was very stress-free. No drama at all, a very welcoming environment. The hardest part of the job was the customers, some of them were absolutely awful. On the bright side, I always came home with interesting stories. The most enjoyable part of the job was all my co-workers and my managers, they're like a family to me.
Pros
easy to switch shifts, fun environment
Cons
rude customers
Love to work with crafts
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON2 June 2018
Stock shelves, interacted with customers to help them get what they needed or even help them acquire items they did not know they wanted. Cleaned at the end of the evening.
Cons
no room to grow
a good student job
ASSOCIÉE DE VENTE ET CAISSIÈRE (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 June 2018
It was a nice first retail job, staff are super nice and relax work environnement. Great advantage if you are an Art student! You get discounts, get to know the product and even get the chance to try them sometime.
Pros
flexible hours, cupcakes, employee discount, art supplies
Cons
isolated location
Fun at the Arts & Crafts store
Replenishment (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 June 2018
Working at Michaels was a great experience; it was the most fun I had at a job.
The co-workers were all welcoming, fun, and friendly.
My work primarily involved cleaning the store before it opened, receiving & unpacking skids of merchandise, unboxing & placing merchandise for display, and throwing out/compacting recycling & garbage.
Pros
always doing something, friendly co-workers, discount
Cons
I recommend using steel-toed shoes
A decent part time job
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 June 2018
An enjoyable job that uses my organizational skills to good advantage. I'm always concerned with cleanliness and safety for associates and customers. Management is wonderful.
Pros
Great replenishment manager
Cons
Not enough hours
Okay place to work
Custom Framer (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON30 May 2018
Schedules change without any notice, perpetually understaffed, almost impossible to book days off. The sales associates are amazing but the manager leaves something to be desired. She’s nice and all but has way too many things going on at once and it can be very hard to reach her.
Pros
Paid 15 min break every 2 hours
Cons
Always understaffed
Good place for someone with a general appreciation for art
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON29 May 2018
An excellent place to work if you have a general interest in arts and crafts which I do not which made it hard for me as I was only there in a seasonal position (unbeknownst to me) and because of that I was never truly trained or informed of new products or employee technology, this caused great difficulty when trying to assist the customers.
hardest part of job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON27 May 2018
Very busy as there is not enough hours. Extreme focus on offering great customer service without providing hours to ensure this can actually happen. Many jobs have less hours assigned to them then the job can be achieved in and you just have to find the hours to get things finished. Management often does not really get hands on with helping staff with tasks.
Pros
discount
Cons
hours
Great Company
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS25 May 2018
The company was nice to work with, loved my co workers but the store manager was difficult to work with and was usually avoided.
The work environment was very high paced and detail oriented, the fast pace made the shifts go by much quicker and has set my own worth ethic very high.
Pros
Lovely co workers
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON23 May 2018
Micheals was a very fun place to work for anyone interested in the arts. You were given the opportunities to advise customers on their art projects and had the chance to teach classes. There were also many opportunities where employees were encouraged to take part in kids birthday parties and events which made the workplace more fun than just a cashier job.
Pros
Lots of opportunities
Cons
Confusing management (too many people in charge)
Decent
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB23 May 2018
It is a decent place to work. you don't get paid very much and you are limited to the hours you can get and you rarely get raises. The people who work there though are amazing.
Worst Management Ever
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 May 2018
Managers are useless. Have no idea who you are or what you do. You are trained by other part time workers on the job. No official training policy. Treated like children. Every day beginning of shift given a Piece of paper with the cash register # you are working on a couple of other words to tell you what you are doing and you had to hand these papers back in at end of shift. Each time you came in for next shift there was basically a report card waiting for you to tell you what your % was of getting emails and how long it takes you to cash someone out and if you did anything wrong. You get a sticker or magnet when you hit your email target but they really focus more on trying to find what you did wrong. Nobody talks to one another even in break rooms. Morale is terrible and it's a shame because it could be a great little part time job. Loved working on cash and enjoyed talking to customers, but when you dread going to work it's time to quit and that's what I did.
Pros
Store discount and. Cstomers
Very Interesting Day-to-day
Team Member/Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 May 2018
As you will be visited by many different walks of artists. You may find yourself indulging in new arts yourself. It is an open space for ANYONE to emerge & find themselves a new hobby or interest.
Pros
Breaks & Team Members
Cons
Not many hours to go around
It gets busy a lot, but its fun to work at.
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 May 2018
Fun place to work and have a great time. the management was really nice and the customers as well. the lunch room is really big and if you want a day off, they will give you a day off
Cute place, lots of creative people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON14 May 2018
I met a lot of great customers at Michaels, and learned a lot about art. This was my first job, and it was definitely a good way to learn how to manage high school and working.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not a lot to do unless you have customers
An okay job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 May 2018
Not a bad job if you want discounts on art and craft supplies and you want flexible part time hours, but if you're looking for something with higher pay and benefits, look elsewhere.
It was a great place to work.
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON6 May 2018
Great place to work. Competitive salary. Great benefits and discounts. However not a lot of full time positions unless management. Fun environment. Wanted a change,
No hours
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 May 2018
Work here if you want no hours and terrible training and management. I gave work and life balance five stars because you'll have plenty of time for life - as I said, no hours. Management is hopeless, I knew more as a cashier than most managers did.
Cons
no hours, low pay, no benefits, no chance for promotion or growth in the company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K