Michaels Employee Reviews

Cashier helping customers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 October 2018
Helped customers when slow stocked shelves the til was count in the morning and at night if any money out cashhier would pay the difference alway smile at customers manager there to help
Pros
being part of a team
Cons
seasonal sometime dont get hire full time
The Bosses
Cashier, Customer Help, and Stock (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 October 2018
I enjoyed working at Michaels because they as a company like the employees input on different aspects of the business. They asked how we as a company could make it easier for the customer.
Poor training
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  BRIGHTON MI12 October 2018
I feel that the management team is not very patient and doesn't train very well.
Not very friendly
Doesn't give a 10 min break !
Company does not pay very well
Even u have experienced
Would not recommend any one to work at micheal.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Pay and management and bad leadership employees
Creative Place
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 October 2018
Enjoy the creative part of the business, being able to decorate and create décor solutions . Enjoyed interacting and creating relationships with customers.
Best job I’ve ever worked
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS2 October 2018
My time at Michaels was the best I’ve ever spent working. I got along with all the staff, the customers were always pleasant and outgoing, I loved seeing all the kids come and go with their parents. Michaels holds a lot of benefits in the art community especially locally where they have specific craft nights, kids classes, kids clubs, family classes, and more
Pros
25% off
Cons
Short hours, never given a lunch unless manager
The work itself is great but don't expect to move up
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON1 October 2018
The early mornings are tough at first but setting and stocking displays is actually very satisfying work and not too stressful. Truck days and Christmas time are hectic for sure but for the most part it's not too physically demanding and eventually you get used to the layout of the store.
Michaels does like to hire management from outside for some reason though and if you start there as a part-time associate you're pretty much stuck in that position, which means the benefits they boast about aren't for you.
The environment is really chill and relaxed though, and pretty much everyone who works there is friendly and welcoming, so it's nice.
Pros
Not overly stressful but not boring either
Cons
Managers are a revolving door and are hit or miss whether they're any good or not
Fun Place to Work
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 October 2018
I was easily able to become friends with my co-workers and management, and always enjoyed my shifts there as they were always very up-beat and engaging.
In terms of benefits as a seasonal sales associate, there weren't many other than the employee discount.
The only thing was that shifts weren't always consistent, but other than that I enjoyed working at Michaels, and would work there again.
Pros
Up-beat and Uplifting place to work
Cons
Inconsistent shifts
Custom Framing
Certified Custom Framer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 October 2018
In the frame department at Micheal's I met a lot of great people and mostly had a good time. When I started working there we were responsible for designing frames with the customers and building them once the materials arrived, and at the end of the day tidy up our area of the store.

I left because this changed, we were being pulled in too many directions which became very stressful. For example if the store needed a cashier, the first place they called was the framing department and you might spend half your shift working as a cashier. Then other extra duties were added like keeping inventory and stocking shelves, to the point we could not do our actual jobs.

I hope this has changed now that Aaron Brothers is running the framing department at Michael's.
Pros
Meet and work a lot of great people
Cons
Managment was difficult to deal with at times
Poorly organized
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB29 September 2018
I personally found this job to be great in the beginning until my management become very rude and unorganized and constantly got angry at me when I didn’t show up for shifts that they booked for me without my acknowledgement. The Micheals store has an online work schedule that lets the workers know when their shifts are yet nobody in the management took the time to help me out and let me be able to know my shift schedule.
Pros
Lots of shifts
Cons
Poor management and organization
Nice people
Rep. Team (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC23 September 2018
Although the work wasn't the most challenging or exciting it was a friendly environment to work in. Managers were nice and understanding and the co-workers were all happy to work there. Good place for students, people looking for a second job, or people just looking for a little extra cash.
Pros
discount on art supplies
Cons
potential early hours, minimal pay
Good place for students to work
Presentation Replenishment / Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC22 September 2018
People were great to work with. Truck days were very busy and the team did the best to get the stock out in the time allotted to get the job done. The management did not give enough hours to get most of the work done in time. The hardest part of the job was that was not enough hours given to get every thing done.
Comfortable But Confusing and Contradictory
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB15 September 2018
Working there was fun! Enjoyable, when the managers were not there. They would contradict each other when training with new coworkers and would get angry easily. The other workers would be fantastic to work with and be very helpful. Having fun co-workers was definitely the most enjoyable part of working at Michaels.
The hardest part was understanding the managers. They would each say a different way to handle a situation and get very agitated when you wouldn't do it their way. It made working there very confusing and hard.
It,s a interesting place to work
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB13 September 2018
Michael's a good place to work if you are high school student, but long term wise is not work. It's very interesting work place but their management is sucks.
not the best
sales associate/cashier (Current Employee) –  orangeville31 August 2018
they don’t care- schedule you when you’re off or with no time in between. i’ve worked 6-7 days a week when they need me and 1-2 when they don’t care. no room for advancement- favourites are your way up. they have high expectations (most of which are based off of your customers) and are very demanding. usually understaffed and the managers never help. i’ve been the only person on the floor sometimes. they brag they give you a 20-40 cent raise every year.
Pros
discount
Cons
everything
Great artsy environment
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 August 2018
- While working at michaels I was able to learn new things about art and their products.
- It was a very relaxed and fun job.
- The management was great, very positive and helpful.
- The hardest part of the job was probably to know where everything is and trying to make angry customers happy.
- The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with.
Michael's was fun if you focus on the fun.
Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC25 August 2018
Working at Michael's Crafts was difficult and stressful. Typically your day would start with a 10 minute staff meeting, and then you are sent off to do your job in whatever section they want you. It's common to be under-staffed, and it's common than management wants more from you than what you can give, work-wise. They do not offer bonuses, or enough compensation for the work you do, but what can a person expect from a retail job?
Pros
The products are interesting
Cons
Management is often rude and demanding, below minimum wage salary
Excellent workplace
Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB16 August 2018
I enjoyed working for Michaels. In a very short time I went from being a store associate to being a custom framing associate to applying for and accepting the position of operations manager. The atmosphere is great, coworkers are inspiring and customers always fun to work with. A neat store with neat things for neat people.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Christmas
great team, lots of customer service experience
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 August 2018
main job was focus on delivering top customer service to customers each day. that includes:
greeting customers at the door
helping them find what they need
give suggestion to products that they might work best for them
cashier duties such as bagging, taking payments, engaging with customers , answering phone calls, making returns, putting items on hold .making sure front is always clean, customers are happy, and reaching the daily sales goal set by the company.
Very good workplace environment.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON13 August 2018
Great summer job workplace. The environment is very friendly. The customers are friendly for the most part and enjoy the help we can supply for them.
such an awesome crew to work for
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Current Employee) –  London, ON10 August 2018
I love the team I work with, we have a lot of fun and are able to jokearound with each other. the managers are the best and their honestly the most understanding people i've ever met.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

51.6K