Michaels Employee Reviews

It gets busy a lot, but its fun to work at.
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 May 2018
Fun place to work and have a great time. the management was really nice and the customers as well. the lunch room is really big and if you want a day off, they will give you a day off
Cute place, lots of creative people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON14 May 2018
I met a lot of great customers at Michaels, and learned a lot about art. This was my first job, and it was definitely a good way to learn how to manage high school and working.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not a lot to do unless you have customers
An okay job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 May 2018
Not a bad job if you want discounts on art and craft supplies and you want flexible part time hours, but if you're looking for something with higher pay and benefits, look elsewhere.
It was a great place to work.
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON6 May 2018
Great place to work. Competitive salary. Great benefits and discounts. However not a lot of full time positions unless management. Fun environment. Wanted a change,
No hours
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 May 2018
Work here if you want no hours and terrible training and management. I gave work and life balance five stars because you'll have plenty of time for life - as I said, no hours. Management is hopeless, I knew more as a cashier than most managers did.
Cons
no hours, low pay, no benefits, no chance for promotion or growth in the company
Fun place to work and make new friends
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK27 April 2018
As an artist, this was an amazing experience from cashier to manager, from interesting customers to a great team. A typical day starts busy and goes by fast with the workload given.
Creative environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 April 2018
Restocking items as needed and organized displays. As well as keeping the store neat and handling cash and transactions was also apart of the work day.
Easy going
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON12 April 2018
Typical day included working at register cashing customers out, telling people which aisle a product was located in, maintaining a clean environment. Easy going, good as a first job.
wonderful
Cashier/ Shelf Stocker/ Custom Framer (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON6 April 2018
the people are wonderful to work with. its a great company, by far one of my favorite jobs, they take the time to know you and help you help them help others
Review
Certified Custom Framer and Consultant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 April 2018
Good overall, good environments, good people. Hard work but rewarding. Long hours. Busy at holidays. good retail experience. Thorough training. Good overall
Pros
staff
Cons
busy

Want to know more about Michaels?

Ask a question
Productive, workplace community is exceptional
Retail, Cashier, Customer Service 4 years (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC2 April 2018
A typical work day consisted of positive attitude for customers and their overall experience.
I have learned how to listen and problem solve for customers and have made good friends with the customers.
Management overall is fair to all employees. The workplace community of workers continually work together as a group and support one another at all times.
I do not find any part of the job hard at all with quite the opposite to say that I enjoy the job because of the creative customers we received each day is exciting. All customers are creative with individual needs and requirements whether it be for themselves, family, teachers and students school products which are all individually important.
Each day is surprisingly different and flexible in cashiering, customer service, replenishing and stocking is a skill in itself.
Pros
Hours are good
Cons
Occasionally no break but short hours between seasonal busy times
Not what you think it is
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 April 2018
Sadly working at Michaels isn't all that it's cracked up to be. The managers are hard to deal with and play favourites constantly. They only care about getting out before the actual time of their shift ending and the ones who work till close don't want to be there. They have no sympathy for employees dealing with mental illness. The only thing good about that place is the 30% discount for employees.
Fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB31 March 2018
Environment is friendly, salary is competitive and great comparing to fast food places, staff discount is very nice (30% off regular and sale price purchase!!)
Pros
Great discount
Cons
Crazy hours during the holidays
Employees are Over worked and always exhausted
Custom Framer and Sales (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON21 March 2018
A typical day at work would be generally stressful since the company never has enough staff scheduled, even on holidays and special discount days. The attitude of the management towards employee concerns would be "if other stores can do it, you can too".
Pros
Discount on Art Supplies
Cons
Work Related Stress
Friendly work environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON13 March 2018
Everyone is always smiling and very welcoming. Although, it isn't busy enough for as many of the employees we have. Some get left with no hours or some hours.Except around christmas time.
Pros
Treat us to lunches, Snacks or suppers
Cons
No hours until christmas time
Just terrible
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 March 2018
I hate working here, the management sucks, the cash system is outdated and crashes all the time, customers are rather rude, terrible hours. It is awful
Lazy managers and email collection
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  South Keys, ON4 March 2018
Managers stand around not helping any of the other floor associates. Expect the floor staff to answer every call, backup call and clean full store on our own. Instead the managers stand around at the front talking to each other almost their full shift and have an issue if anyone else talks to each other. Email collection issues always since customers have other ways to get coupons and don't want to give their email. Most customers are regulars so email collection doesn't even count and you get in trouble if its not 25% which is ridiculous since its out of your control if no one wants to give you emails. Instead you're stuck bribing customers and faking emails just to make them happy.
Fun workplace, that awoke my creativity and inspired me to do more, hobby wise.
Seasonal Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 March 2018
The hardest part of this job, was that sometimes I would be called to come in for a shift, with a moment's notice, when management was aware that I don't have a car and live a mile and a half away from the store.
Pros
Free food at Christmas and Thanksgiving
Cons
No benefits for part time staff.
Environnement chaleureux et bonne possibilité d'apprentissage
Associée aux ventes (Former Employee) –  Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC2 March 2018
Le poste offre l'occasion d'apprendre à s'organiser et à être autonome.
Pros
Se sentir utile et appéciée
Cons
salaire minimum
Was very busy. Team members were good to work with
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK28 February 2018
I enjoyed working here. Christmas is a very busy time. I learned the cash system . I enjoyed working in the yarn dept as well. Most customers were pleasant.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K