Michaels
Here to help: Coronavirus update

Michaels Employee Reviews

Canada629 reviews
Positive Experience
Relatively busy during the fall and winter holidays but more relaxed the rest of the year. Overall a pretty simple retail job. I enjoyed doing the craft classes that the company hosts for the public. Staff and managers were nice.
Nice and supporting team members
The amount of customers and products were overwhelming during the holidays, but thanks to my coworkers being very friendly with each other during more relaxed times, I felt grounded and motivated to continue chugging through.
Really amazing to work there!
While working at Michael's I received positive support and a great sense of community. Everyone has their bad days but working there made them bearable, once you have that kind surrounding and regular customers that recognize you and tell others about you, it was hard to leave.
it was okay
I tried my best to work there but I didn't receive much help and wasn't paid at all until after I quit. It was my first job and I was around 15 years old when I started. Once I quit I have to come back for at least a week daily to ask them for my pay for the past 3 months and in the end they blamed me because I didn't fill out a form that I never received from them.
environnement
belle gang environnement,bien belle équipe,
la direction sont a l'écoute
Not an organized company
This job I do not recommend. No organization very all over the place. Behind in getting product out not enough employees poor management. Management was not open to suggestions from employees
Cashier
Was great experience as a cashier. Some management and other employees were nicer than others. Was promised to be rehired again the following year. But was ignored when time came around.
Worst management I’ve ever seen
The place was beyond organized their setup is nothing but failure the employees do NOT all work or understand the rules and policies they do not take feedback well and treat you like you are a nobody who knows nothing
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Michaels?
Pleasant staff
I enjoy working at Michaels because the staff are pleasant to work with. I really enjoy working there but am looking for a change and new challenges.
Little room to advance
Their head office continues to pour money into processes that don’t work instead of giving their employees more hours and money. You must have absolute open availability to be lucky to get 4 hours a week.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Everything else
Better as a hobby than means of surviving
Long process to get job, minimal hours, no one could survive living off that job unless maybe you’re a manager. Better for people looking to fill time and get craft ideas.
perfect first job
Michaels was my first job at 15 years old. Every employee was unique and I got to know every single one of them. the managers were so helpful. Not a day went by where I didn't learn something new. The hardest part of my job was not knowing where to find an item when a customer requested it, but Thats where the managers stepped into help!
Pros
discounts
Cons
lots of products
Easy work, poor upper management
Work is easy, customers sometimes difficult. Their in-store stock organization is very good.
If you work in the frame shop, work is challenging.

Great discount, great staff for the most part. Yearly raises, even for part-timers (not huge, but like a ~20cent raise on minimum wage isn't horrible) based upon performance. Opportunities to host birthday parties and do other creative things instore. Medium-sized staff room with fridge, microwave, toaster, and vending machines.

HOWEVER, if you have issues, especially with non-senior management, upper management will not help you. They will sweep it under the rug. This includes the DM. You might think "this doesn't happen to me," but if you become a target, then upper management would rather spend money to replace you than to root out any trouble-causers, especially if they are in management. They would rather spend money ($$$$) to shut many a person up than to change their managers.
fun and engaging
It's nice to work with a cooperative team. Customers are passionate about there crafts and that makes each experience interesting. All team members are very passionate about the work.
Stressfull
Michaels Corporate continually cuts hours to the stores who need them most. The location I worked at was what is considered an A volume store, one of the larger stores by way of money made and product moved. We had at most two or three cashiers and one floor person at any given time. Considering the work expected of us, it’s not doable.
Casual Part Time Cashier
Fun place to work. Lots of customer service to do. Great people. Very flexible hours. A lot of interesting product to learn about and see. Would recommend to anyone looking for a job.
Corporate environment with casual dress code
Sign in, restock shelves, cashier duties when cash area filled up. 15 minute snack break, 4 hour shift.
Friendly workplace

Hardest part of the job finding the correct location of all products

I learned a lot about Michaels and how they want things run in all their stores

Most enjoyable part of the job was customer service, assisting clients to find products that would suit their needs.
Great place to work especially if you have good management.
Even if you have a strict manager the employees are all fun and the job it self is fun and creative :)
no job security
Corporate does not care about you as a employee, you are disposable and shouldn't feel like you are worth more than that. They would rather have people fill duffle bags worth of product and steal it than show they care about you. I loved all of the team members that I worked with, I miss my coworkers but not the job itself. I highly recommend looking elsewhere for a job because although its nice for a while it won't last and working here will ultimately leave you feeling under appreciated and replaceable, no matter how good of a employee you are. The "customer is always right", even if that means they leave with hundreds of dollars worth of product.
Pros
Employee discount and Team members
Cons
Literally everything else
great co workers and a fun learning experience about working in retail
heavy lifting for replenishment team,great teamwork ,awesome items to sell, great team member discount ,developed some great organization and customer service skills, they have some fun spirit days and fundraising events
its okay
its a great place to work at when your a young adult who needs money but its not a very secure job but its fun to work at and you get good discount on products