Michaels Employee Reviews

Found 460 reviews matching the search See all 5,928 reviews
chill coworkers but managers made me want to cry
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  NB17 December 2018
So i was an employee for roughly a year and i worked part time while attending secondary school. For the most part, they gave me good hours for my schedule but there was the odd time where i'd be rushing so i don't get yelled at. But i was shouted at frequently. It's a pretty busy store, especially around holidays or any special occasion. My manager did NOT deal well with pressure and had screamed at me many times; not caring that there were customers and coworkers present.
everyone under the age of 30 was fantastic.
screw you, Manager that shall not be named.
Pros
You learn to work to better places and that you deserve better
Cons
Literally everything
Fun place to work....sometimes
Operations Manager/Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta, Canada30 November 2018
To be fair, there was a lot of transition in the whole Canadian branch of the company at the time I worked there. In the first 8 months, I had 3 DMs, 3 General Managers and the CEO retired.

Oddly, Michaels did not encourage any fraternization, even just socially, with subordinates.

As OPS manager, I was responsible for employee retention and attempted to establish a social crafting club for our employees outside of work. I was taken into the office by my DM and told to stop doing that because of the no fraternization rule.
Pros
Excellent benefits, interesting work, great SOP for the store model
Cons
Company culture
Great Place to work
Replenishment Associate/ Cashier / Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 October 2018
Employees are great, they're all artists so you always have something to talk about with everyone! Working as a cashier can suck because you're stuck in one place for 6 hours straight. Sales Associate I really liked because you got to do a bit of everything. The only thing that I didn't like is even though I was with them for a couple years it's hard to move up - a lot of people stay with the company and higher positions rarely opened to new employees regardless of their skill
Interesting
Temporary Worker/merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON20 October 2018
Worked there for store setup. Ladies from head office were great and understanding (tried their best to explain to all the temps).

Management sometimes rude if you asked a question, regular staff some of them didn’t like the temps, so there’s some friction there. Asked by management last minute to work an extra day or longer.

Hard to get a permanent job there when they do a store setup which sucks.
Pros
Lots of hours during store setup and discount
Shortest Job Ever!!!!
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB21 October 2018
Worked here for a grand total of 32 hours in the month I worked. Was treated as if I knew nothing. Every time I asked for my managers help was given instructions on how to operate the till even though that wasn't what I needed help with. Was let go "because I didn't fit in". What does that even mean when you've hardly had time to adjust? I liked the customers and they liked me. No friendly banter between employees. No one talks to each other in the lunch room. Very poor managerial skills displayed by some.
Pros
discount
Cons
management
Fun Place to Work
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 October 2018
I was easily able to become friends with my co-workers and management, and always enjoyed my shifts there as they were always very up-beat and engaging.
In terms of benefits as a seasonal sales associate, there weren't many other than the employee discount.
The only thing was that shifts weren't always consistent, but other than that I enjoyed working at Michaels, and would work there again.
Pros
Up-beat and Uplifting place to work
Cons
Inconsistent shifts
Poorly organized
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB29 September 2018
I personally found this job to be great in the beginning until my management become very rude and unorganized and constantly got angry at me when I didn’t show up for shifts that they booked for me without my acknowledgement. The Micheals store has an online work schedule that lets the workers know when their shifts are yet nobody in the management took the time to help me out and let me be able to know my shift schedule.
Pros
Lots of shifts
Cons
Poor management and organization
Best job I’ve ever worked
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS2 October 2018
My time at Michaels was the best I’ve ever spent working. I got along with all the staff, the customers were always pleasant and outgoing, I loved seeing all the kids come and go with their parents. Michaels holds a lot of benefits in the art community especially locally where they have specific craft nights, kids classes, kids clubs, family classes, and more
Pros
25% off
Cons
Short hours, never given a lunch unless manager
About Michael's
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON16 November 2018
Michael's had a very good work environment, the people there were very nice, friendly and welcoming. The hardest part of working at Michael's I would say would be having to get up at 4 o'clock in the morning to be there 5 o'clock. Once I got into the routine it became a habit and became easier but it was hard changing my routine for the first little bit.
Cons
Very early mornings
Comfortable But Confusing and Contradictory
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB15 September 2018
Working there was fun! Enjoyable, when the managers were not there. They would contradict each other when training with new coworkers and would get angry easily. The other workers would be fantastic to work with and be very helpful. Having fun co-workers was definitely the most enjoyable part of working at Michaels.
The hardest part was understanding the managers. They would each say a different way to handle a situation and get very agitated when you wouldn't do it their way. It made working there very confusing and hard.
The work itself is great but don't expect to move up
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON1 October 2018
The early mornings are tough at first but setting and stocking displays is actually very satisfying work and not too stressful. Truck days and Christmas time are hectic for sure but for the most part it's not too physically demanding and eventually you get used to the layout of the store.
Michaels does like to hire management from outside for some reason though and if you start there as a part-time associate you're pretty much stuck in that position, which means the benefits they boast about aren't for you.
The environment is really chill and relaxed though, and pretty much everyone who works there is friendly and welcoming, so it's nice.
Pros
Not overly stressful but not boring either
Cons
Managers are a revolving door and are hit or miss whether they're any good or not
Vibrant workplace, good atmosphere
Cashier/Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 November 2018
My termination was based on how often I was late, though getting to the location I was at was very far away. However, I enjoyed working at Michael's, work is very straightforward and easy, the hours are flexible, and customers and employees alike were nice.
Pros
Good discounts if you're an art student, generally a friendly environment.
not the best
sales associate/cashier (Current Employee) –  orangeville31 August 2018
they don’t care- schedule you when you’re off or with no time in between. i’ve worked 6-7 days a week when they need me and 1-2 when they don’t care. no room for advancement- favourites are your way up. they have high expectations (most of which are based off of your customers) and are very demanding. usually understaffed and the managers never help. i’ve been the only person on the floor sometimes. they brag they give you a 20-40 cent raise every year.
Pros
discount
Cons
everything
Decent job, but need some tweeks
Cashier and Costumer Service (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 November 2018
Working at Michael's was a great pleasure, but better employee care is required and a better managerial staff. I really enjoyed the work at first, but the change in management tore the team apart and that was very unfortunate for everyone.
Pros
great team dynamic
Cons
not enough hours, rude management, feeling of harrasment
Michael's was fun if you focus on the fun.
Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC25 August 2018
Working at Michael's Crafts was difficult and stressful. Typically your day would start with a 10 minute staff meeting, and then you are sent off to do your job in whatever section they want you. It's common to be under-staffed, and it's common than management wants more from you than what you can give, work-wise. They do not offer bonuses, or enough compensation for the work you do, but what can a person expect from a retail job?
Pros
The products are interesting
Cons
Management is often rude and demanding, below minimum wage salary
Custom Framing
Certified Custom Framer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 October 2018
In the frame department at Micheal's I met a lot of great people and mostly had a good time. When I started working there we were responsible for designing frames with the customers and building them once the materials arrived, and at the end of the day tidy up our area of the store.

I left because this changed, we were being pulled in too many directions which became very stressful. For example if the store needed a cashier, the first place they called was the framing department and you might spend half your shift working as a cashier. Then other extra duties were added like keeping inventory and stocking shelves, to the point we could not do our actual jobs.

I hope this has changed now that Aaron Brothers is running the framing department at Michael's.
Pros
Meet and work a lot of great people
Cons
Managment was difficult to deal with at times
great team, lots of customer service experience
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 August 2018
main job was focus on delivering top customer service to customers each day. that includes:
greeting customers at the door
helping them find what they need
give suggestion to products that they might work best for them
cashier duties such as bagging, taking payments, engaging with customers , answering phone calls, making returns, putting items on hold .making sure front is always clean, customers are happy, and reaching the daily sales goal set by the company.
Good place for students to work
Presentation Replenishment / Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC22 September 2018
People were great to work with. Truck days were very busy and the team did the best to get the stock out in the time allotted to get the job done. The management did not give enough hours to get most of the work done in time. The hardest part of the job was that was not enough hours given to get every thing done.
Nice people
Rep. Team (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC23 September 2018
Although the work wasn't the most challenging or exciting it was a friendly environment to work in. Managers were nice and understanding and the co-workers were all happy to work there. Good place for students, people looking for a second job, or people just looking for a little extra cash.
Pros
discount on art supplies
Cons
potential early hours, minimal pay
Was a great place to work
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB6 December 2018
I loved to work at Michael but got laid off due to my other boss complaining of me coming to earlier when the store boss who runs the store asked me too, would also assume I left something or mis placed something, when it wasn't even in the place I was working in.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Floor boss was a pain

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

51.6K