Michael Hill

Michael Hill Employee Reviews

Tough sales goals

They pay you a fair wage but they get their pound of flesh from you. The sales goals are large and if you don't meet them there are consequences. There is also a lot of competitiveness among staff as they try to earn a monthly bonus dependent on sales figures.

stressful

Open at 10 am, meet and greet customers, show them the piece they love, close the sale, do your paperworks and leads. People usually know what they want.

Pros

free gift basket on christmas but the manager takes it

Cons

long hours standing, not even a free coffee

Michaelhill is a night mare

Corrupted and favorism culture from upper management to store managers,you don't get what you honestly work for, and deserve.you get promotion if you are upper management favorite person.worked very hard for 3 years with super excellent performance and 2 degrees in business, trainer gold clubbers ,hit the budget with super high leadership skills and related knowledge when they had no store managers . Ended up working under a manager with 0 experience in handling a single meeting, unable to read numbers correctly, she was promoted to the same position that I applied because she was favorable!!!and close to upper management!! 0 work life balance for ASMs,no weekends, 10 hours per day working .lots of blame on mit ,asm if store is not gold,much more thing to say.....

Cons

All cons

Toxic Environment

They try to make it seem like a team atmosphere and fun place to work but you will quickly realize they do not care about anyone. Management picks favourites and makes it very obvious.

Pros

Discounts on jewellery

Cons

No work life balance, expect Michael Hill to be your life

Good place to work at

Working at Michael Hill was enjoyable and fun experience. The staff there is friendly and supportive. The are very eager to help expend the knowledge of the store and its routines. Overall great place to work at.

Productive and fun place to work

Employees were great, very helpful and friendly. Excellent opportunities for growth and development. Workplace culture was fun, I laughed everyday. I enjoyed going to work and being able to help my colleagues.

Pros

Staff Discount, Good Benefits, Friendly people

Cons

Work Schedule

Amazing growth opportunities

Let's be real. This is an amazing place to work to develop sales skills and knowledge. It's also a great place to move around and up when the opportunities present themselves. However, this is all dependent on upper management. Your entire experience will depend not only on your direct manager, but their boss as well. I've had everything from the best work experiences and culture of my life, to the worst most depressive times of my life. I've moved around within the company a lot so I've had a wide range of management. They pay you well - extremely well - but expect you to work your a** off for it. Work-life balance is a joke - again, unless you have an awesome manager that believes in it. So If you want to work hard, get paid well, and get the experience and knowledge out of it, then I say go for it! This company is not for the weak-hearted.

Pros

Salary and benefits, Training and development, Awesome people.

Cons

Lack of compassion for a healthy work-life balance, Upper management can be bias, Bonuses are good but can be difficult to achieve at times.

People Focused, Fun, Success Driven, and Adaptive Company

Michael Hill has grown drastically over the last few years. Company is very people focused, has successfully navigated change given the global pandemic and still manage to reward and look after its team.Huge career focused, long term, and most importantly develop your skills through fantastic training and leadership team.Great place to have a career long term.

Pros

Trips, Awards, more than fair compensation packages(bonuses commission etc)

Great place to work!

Outstanding place to work, great co-workers, brand new office space, and an inclusive & diverse culture.Over my 6 years at Michael Hill, I've seen the business go through rapid digital transformation - putting it in a great position to expand into a variety of digital initiatives. Highly recommend a consideration, should you have the opportunity to work at MHJ

Pros

Great discount on Jewellery, International Conference

Cons

Collaboration with colleagues globally - outside of business hours

Amazing Company to Work For

Michael Hill is a wonderful company to work for. I feel valued as an employee. There is a constant effort put into growing the potential of its employees and I see this everyday from my personal experience with my manager and with other Staff (coaching, setting goals, action plans etc.) I absolutely love the team that I work with. Everyone is supportive, hard-working and friendly. The culture and atmosphere is the best I have experienced so far in any company that I have worked for. I look forward to everyday with the company as I am constantly learning and growing.

Pros

support, recognition, growth opportunities, benefits, co-workers

Jobs at Michael Hill

See more jobs

A great place to work!

Fun and exciting company culture! A very supportive and collaborative environment that provides opportunity for growth and development. Recognition and thanks are regularly given for a job well done whether financially, through incentives, awards ceremonies and events or through leader acknowledgement. This organization is innovative, values driven and committed to delivering exceptional staff and customer experiences. I am proud to work for Michael Hill.

Pros

Great benefits, amazing staff discount, supportve leadership team!

Amazing place to work

I worked here part time. Great coaching. Management at Chinook was always willing to guide help and be flexible. Benefits were provided on time. Supportive and collaborative environment. They provide you with great product knowledge training. Very caring to employees and customers.

Pros

Team work, benefits, flexible shifts

I loved this job

I worked for Michael Hill many years ago. My boss was by far the best part of the job. My coworkers were a wonderful group of people as well, and we worked together like a family. It was competitive, but not in a cutthroat way. Everyone was respectful. When my boss that hired me left for another store, my experience went downhill. The new manager was a weasel and would put sales in under both our names, and when it was returned, only under my name and it ruined my sales quota. He was an isolated incident as far as I know, but it definitely soured my opinion. Overall, this is a good place to work if you excel in sales.

Pros

Amazing people

A regular workplace

Working here was like your average part-time minimum wage job. Because of COVID it was not busy for the most part. However, at times it would get a bit crazy. I never actually got to sell anything since I was a seasonal so I would just stand there for the most part. It was pretty chill, the store manager was super friendly and overall just amazing. Other staff were nice for the most part. Nothing bad about working here, just meh.

Pros

In a mall, Nice manager

Cons

Standing for a long time, Boring at times

Competitive place

It is a great learning express. Fun and different. They hold Great standards. Very positive thinking.The pay could be more an hour for how much the company makes.

The harder you work the more money you make. This is not so at other work places I have worked at

There is a fair bit of competition in this environment but some of us thrive on it. I personally like the fact that it's a sales position you don't have to cold call at.

Pros

benefits are great.

Cons

You need to be willing to get out of your comfort zone

good place to work

overall it's a good place to work. Some challenges at work but it is a part of retail job. Sales persons are motivated, payment is pretty good. I recommend it.

AWFUL!!!! Do not work here, TOXIC

The worst place I have ever worked at. I would NOT recommend working here to anyone ever. The bonus is barely anything, work stupid hours, made feel guilty when you can’t come cover a shift on your days off. The manager and coworker(s) take advantage of you, belittle you, make you feel dumb and worthless, they are also the most racist people I have ever worked with. There is no sense of team work, everyone works against each other for their own gain and always figure out a way to make you feel guilty. Love to gossip, feels like high schools all over again

Pros

Cons

Staff, environment is toxic

Family environment.

Everyone helps everyone else. Not just a job a family. Very good benefits and understanding management. I would recommend this job to everyone. Michael Hill is a great place to work.

Pros

Family environment

Cons

Hours on your feet

Great management support

Great place to work Great incentives and commissions Can be very competitive Management is train well to help you achieve your sales target Company have great benefits

Poor management

Working experience and work ethics. Fails . my experience and knowledge of my own, how I cope to my everyday work. If you are just hired you will have a hard time learning. Lots of management turn overs all time !!! 3 managers in 16months ! Since I’ve work with them and 2 months of no manager. They turned their top sales into management and no experienced, Under pay. No commission all bribes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michael Hill. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement