Michael Hill Employee Reviews

Negative place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 November 2018
The lack of care towards their employees lead to very little motivation, and distrust of the company. Management and other staff contribute in dishonesty and false promises. People of higher authority lie straight to your face, and try to take advantage of peoples kindness for selfish gain. Nothing seems to be in favor of a "team".
Pros
Worked in a mall
Cons
Horrible team work, no support for one another. All are out for themselves.
Team work enjoy
Sales (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 March 2018
My day at work usually starts from what is the day plan: Ones I know the plan of my day at work I follow my routine and enjoy my day working in environment. I always learn some thing at work place, since I am a walking question I love asking to learn more.
I have had Management positions and supervising as well, so I always treat employees fair and respect. At workplace must be the number 1 rule first of all, "RESPECT" that's is a culture in workplace.
The hardest part of the job is when you have to do something that you have not been trained, but always find solution.
The most enjoyable part of the job for me always is when I learn more that I know from work, team work.
Worst company ever
Sales profession (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 November 2018
So disappointed, however in the beginning I was so passionate about working there.
Poor management
Poor customer service
Poor relationship between co workers
Not quality product to sell
Have to lie and exaggerate about the products that after 1 month you get the product back .
Pros
No pros
Cons
Lots of cons
awfull
Sales professional (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON14 November 2018
awfull work place stressfull always fight on sales,unethical work plac, multi management,micro management, too much jeolousy and competition,management is not fair to all
Pros
staff prices
Cons
all cons
Management (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON30 July 2018
Michael Hill really helps improve your skills and sets you up for success for the present and future. I currently work with the management team and had never seen myself in this industry until I was recruited.
Unethical management
Assistant Salesperson (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC3 February 2018
Management at Michael Hill in Park Royal mall was very unethical. Years ago I was employed there for a school's work experience program, and all throughout the end of the work period, the manager refused to admit she owed me any salary and insisted I was only there to volunteer. I ended up having to report her to BC Labour before I got my pay.
Work/Life Balance not good.
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 September 2017
The salary here for management, entry level was good, but the benefits were not very good, nor was the manager who was training me to become a store manager. The workplace culture was very much a "Believe in our products, prices and brand" even though all of which were sub-par.

I would never would for this company again.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Poor Management, Poor Work/Life Balance, Benefits were sub-par
Met some awesome people
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 February 2018
Culture sucked. They hired some real doozies. Would only go back to work there for the benefits of reduced jewelry buying, literally the only reason Id go back
Sales driven and jovial HO
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB22 January 2018
Sales is priority while the company is striving to be very people-focused. All told it is a an enjoyable place to work provided you are hitting your sales targets. The hardest part of the job is finding time in the day to accomplish all of the tasks to standard.
Pros
Growing company, culture
Cons
micro management
Fun Place to Work
Diamond Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 December 2018
The course one diamonds is very intense. New hires may become intimidated with an overwhelming amount of online study courses that one must take in order to receive commission payouts.
A great place to work
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 March 2018
Michael Hill is a great working environment. The staff treats their employees and customer as family. They offer in-house training. The management is very patient and understanding of their staff needs.
Pros
Monthly Bonus
Cons
You really have to work for those bonuses
Work life balance was very hard to acheive.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  BC1 August 2014
A lot of long days. There was a lot of management turnover. My sales team was very motivated and driven to succeed, so that part of the job was very rewarding.

I did love the culture. There were a lot of monetary rewards.

The hardest part of the job was to achieve sales targets as a manager, because you are expected to sell 75% of the time, with 25% to manage all of the other aspects of the business.

The best part of the job was working to develop the team and work together to achieve our targets, and help them achieve their own financial success.
Pros
bonus and extended benefits
Cons
12 hour days during sale times, with no time in lieu.
Michael hill
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 June 2018
To work as a Sales Associate at Michael Hill's Mayfair Store. I am mainly responsible for demonstration and sales of products and services in store and online. I am also responsible to provide after sales customer service and store administration.
Strong Culture, Good Pay, Poor Work/Life Balance
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2017
Michael Hill is a Decent employer however does have its problems. The pay is generally higher then industry average but then so is the work load. Expectations are VERY high on their staff. This leads to VERY HIGH burn out rates. Most management only survive 2-3 years before quitting or being fired. Culture is very much turn and burn.
long hours, low wages, no work/life balance
Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  British Columbia9 June 2015
first 6 months were great, then management changed and so did the bonus requirements, too aggressive and pushy, being told to force customers to buy, wage is only minimum, asked to work long hours sometimes only getting one day off, the only thing good was that the merchandise was of good quality
Pros
co-workers were great except for one or two
Cons
too much politics and targets were hard to acheive
Apply to Independant Jewellers before here.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB19 April 2016
Motto of the company is supposed to be as per the corporation that the customers and staff come first. I agree that the customers always are put first, but most often to the degradation of associates involved. The regional management does not take accountability for the pressure that they put on management as well as the sales associates, and the store has a very high staff turnover due to this. HR is generally unhelpful and non compliant. I would not recommend this franchise for a lasting, happy career.
Pros
Affordable staff discounts on product.
Cons
Very ungrateful to those who give their all to the benefit of the location, Even in impossible situations where the corporation asks for unreasonable results, whatever that is accomplished can always been done better, and ones best is never enough.
Decent company, mismanaged and no work/life balance
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB8 August 2016
The company has a fairly good culture. This is the only large company I have worked for where you can call the CEO just for a chat so it is great that way. For managers the work life balance doesn't happen very much. Nobody in the upper management cares if you get burnt out, only the results matter. If the results aren't there they expect you to work until you get them with no OT or lieu days.
Good employer but not much work/life balance
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON5 July 2015
Good employer but not much work/life balance. Good training, plenty of room for advancement. Best conferences ever in foreign locations. Overly competitive salary within the market, plus benefits at time of employment.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Work/life balance
Enjoy helping people - open learn and organizational skills
Sale Professional (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 May 2014
- Learned training program from Michael Hill on product knowledge to improve sale techniques and support company’s code of ethics.
- Most of days working in Michael Hills store were really nice with nice co-workers and great management.
- The hardest part of the job was to get great knowledge about diamond, which help me to be more confident and more professional to work and helping people and make them happy whenever they purchased our product.
- The most enjoyable part of the job to make clients happy, satisfied what they wish to get from our store.
Pros
lunch free
Cons
Average work with ridiculous expectations for bonuses
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, Alberta18 December 2014
The managers "boys club" was very clique like and selective of who would advance. The worst part was that you had to basically double you quota to make a bonus and then at Christmas they reduced your percentage of commission since you are guaranteed to get it that month. Overall, don't work here unless you are a 50 year old woman looking for something to do in retirement.
Pros
Discount on jewellery
Cons
Annoying work culture, terrible communication between upper management and HO to bottom rung employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michael Hill. Our community is ready to answer.