Michael Hill Employee Reviews

unreasonable sales targets, fast paced, stressful environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 February 2019
Managers are not professional, didnt put staff or clients first. all managers got fired since Iv worked there do to breaking policies. Human resources took to long to respond to issues. Managers yell at staff in store in front of clients and in back room. Staff didnt always respect dress code, and managers allowed it depending on who it was. favoritism. my client calls or visits or messages were not taken or passed on to me so I lost potential sales. Mangers were very immature. Policies and bullying happened over and over and staff were afraid to come forward.Sales targets were high but even if you made it you didnt get your commissions. Managers covered for each other. Staff was pitted against each other. Sales associates greeted clients, demonstrated the benefits of the products and tried to sell the item and insurance. Leads were put into a database. Clent info was collected. Cleaning duties are expected as well. Answering the phone is also part of our job. Calling leads is part of our job. Putting up promotional items and inventory is part of our job. Opening and closing the store, cashing out, wiping glass counter, vaccume, and throwing out garbage is part of regular duties. Restocking boxes, and jewelry is an ongoing apart of our job. Cleaning Jewelry, taking rotations to serve clients is also part of the job. Most employees fight over clients. Its exhausting to see even managers take sales away from each other or staff. I dont care if the company knows who I am. By now they would guess its me. staff know I vouched for them n stood up to everyone. I liked the items and  more... clients and the owners didnt deserve to have their stores run the way it was and I hope changes have been made.  less
Pros
great items to sell, so nice to sell to happy people in love.
Cons
poor management, stressfull and no lunch rooms
Shiny new store, good location,
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 November 2018
Pleasant, clean environment. Light housekeeping duties. Monthly inventories were sometimes stressful on management. Responsible for stocking displays daily and remerchandising and tagging stock, taking in items for repair and tracking orders. Their tutorials were very helpful and lengthy and mandatory to be eligible for bonuses. Weekly quotas were sometimes challenging in off season, but during Christmas time, attainable and lucritive. Salary plus commission structure. In slower periods, like back to school season, it's difficult to meet quotas. Their are some rock stars employed here who make a good living, but they are devoted to work and may not have the best work life balance. Their were some part time employees with other jobs, and their schedules were adjusted to their needs.
Pros
Enjoying the customers romance stories and making new friends and return customers.
Cons
Refunds affect your quotas, customer credit rejection can be challenging.
Very, Very Disappointing!
Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 January 2019
In the beginning, you will be promised the world but in reality, it is very very stressful work and the demands on you are very intense with no return or reward from the Company. In fact, quite the opposite!
The sales goals are very high and it is almost impossible to make any money over the basic minimum wage per hour that you're paid for the hours of your shift. There is a great deal of jeolousy and negative competitive attitudes within the sales staff which is manifested by the managers who hypocritically preach "team" work. And least of all, if you are looking for a job to grow in with management support and guidance, it is best you look elsewhere because these managers would not think twice about stabbing you in the back.
If you still want to try it, proceed with caution!!!
Worst company ever
Sales profession (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 November 2018
So disappointed, however in the beginning I was so passionate about working there.
Poor management
Poor customer service
Poor relationship between co workers
Not quality product to sell
Have to lie and exaggerate about the products that after 1 month you get the product back .
Pros
No pros
Cons
Lots of cons
awfull
Sales professional (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON14 November 2018
awfull work place stressfull always fight on sales,unethical work plac, multi management,micro management, too much jeolousy and competition,management is not fair to all
Pros
staff prices
Cons
all cons
Negative place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 November 2018
The lack of care towards their employees lead to very little motivation, and distrust of the company. Management and other staff contribute in dishonesty and false promises. People of higher authority lie straight to your face, and try to take advantage of peoples kindness for selfish gain. Nothing seems to be in favor of a "team".
Pros
Worked in a mall
Cons
Horrible team work, no support for one another. All are out for themselves.
Management (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON30 July 2018
Michael Hill really helps improve your skills and sets you up for success for the present and future. I currently work with the management team and had never seen myself in this industry until I was recruited.
Fun Place to Work
Diamond Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 December 2018
The course one diamonds is very intense. New hires may become intimidated with an overwhelming amount of online study courses that one must take in order to receive commission payouts.
Fun team atmosphere to work in
employee (Current Employee) –  Rocky View, AB18 January 2019
Training is excellent, lots of opportunity for improvement.
Learned lots about people and celebrate their happy moments in life!
Not a lot of negatives about job, customer service was always in place to ensure satisfaction. Bonus money in November and December was amazing!

All weekly targets are evenly shared by hours worked so it is manageable and there is always time given for training while new.

Rewarding wage increases based on sales achievements, reviewed annually.

Great atmosphere and would recommend to anyone seeking a sales job where customers are happy when they come in and leave VS buying something because they have to or it broke...

A+
Pros
Reward dinners quarterly, Staff meals on holidays, good hours (mall hours), Staff prices
Cons
smaller stores, close environment not for the claustrophobic.
Team work enjoy
Sales (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 March 2018
My day at work usually starts from what is the day plan: Ones I know the plan of my day at work I follow my routine and enjoy my day working in environment. I always learn some thing at work place, since I am a walking question I love asking to learn more.
I have had Management positions and supervising as well, so I always treat employees fair and respect. At workplace must be the number 1 rule first of all, "RESPECT" that's is a culture in workplace.
The hardest part of the job is when you have to do something that you have not been trained, but always find solution.
The most enjoyable part of the job for me always is when I learn more that I know from work, team work.
Met some awesome people
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 February 2018
Culture sucked. They hired some real doozies. Would only go back to work there for the benefits of reduced jewelry buying, literally the only reason Id go back
Unethical management
Assistant Salesperson (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC3 February 2018
Management at Michael Hill in Park Royal mall was very unethical. Years ago I was employed there for a school's work experience program, and all throughout the end of the work period, the manager refused to admit she owed me any salary and insisted I was only there to volunteer. I ended up having to report her to BC Labour before I got my pay.
Work/Life Balance not good.
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 September 2017
The salary here for management, entry level was good, but the benefits were not very good, nor was the manager who was training me to become a store manager. The workplace culture was very much a "Believe in our products, prices and brand" even though all of which were sub-par.

I would never would for this company again.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Poor Management, Poor Work/Life Balance, Benefits were sub-par
Sales driven and jovial HO
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB22 January 2018
Sales is priority while the company is striving to be very people-focused. All told it is a an enjoyable place to work provided you are hitting your sales targets. The hardest part of the job is finding time in the day to accomplish all of the tasks to standard.
Pros
Growing company, culture
Cons
micro management
A great place to work
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 March 2018
Michael Hill is a great working environment. The staff treats their employees and customer as family. They offer in-house training. The management is very patient and understanding of their staff needs.
Pros
Monthly Bonus
Cons
You really have to work for those bonuses
Michael hill
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 June 2018
To work as a Sales Associate at Michael Hill's Mayfair Store. I am mainly responsible for demonstration and sales of products and services in store and online. I am also responsible to provide after sales customer service and store administration.
Good employer but not much work/life balance
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON5 July 2015
Good employer but not much work/life balance. Good training, plenty of room for advancement. Best conferences ever in foreign locations. Overly competitive salary within the market, plus benefits at time of employment.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Work/life balance
Strong Culture, Good Pay, Poor Work/Life Balance
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2017
Michael Hill is a Decent employer however does have its problems. The pay is generally higher then industry average but then so is the work load. Expectations are VERY high on their staff. This leads to VERY HIGH burn out rates. Most management only survive 2-3 years before quitting or being fired. Culture is very much turn and burn.
long hours, low wages, no work/life balance
Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  British Columbia9 June 2015
first 6 months were great, then management changed and so did the bonus requirements, too aggressive and pushy, being told to force customers to buy, wage is only minimum, asked to work long hours sometimes only getting one day off, the only thing good was that the merchandise was of good quality
Pros
co-workers were great except for one or two
Cons
too much politics and targets were hard to acheive
Decent company, mismanaged and no work/life balance
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB8 August 2016
The company has a fairly good culture. This is the only large company I have worked for where you can call the CEO just for a chat so it is great that way. For managers the work life balance doesn't happen very much. Nobody in the upper management cares if you get burnt out, only the results matter. If the results aren't there they expect you to work until you get them with no OT or lieu days.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michael Hill. Our community is ready to answer.