Michael Hill

Michael Hill Employee Reviews

Canada119 reviews
Relaxed,Sociable Working Environment
Relaxed environment with management that understands and accomodates work and life balance.
There is a need for someone who is a quick learner as there is a lot of aspects to selling there and must be very sociable to be successful.
Great company
As a whole the company itself is great. Management differs depending on location. Opportunity for growth and advancement if you want it. Ongoing learning. If you're all about making money, they will give you the tools. It's up to you whether or not to use them.
Productive and good benefits
I worked at Michael Hill Jewelry for more than a year now. This company gives good pay and reasonable benefits to the part time as well as the full time employees.Most of the employees have been working in this company since their store opening because they are good and love what their doing. For me I find working in this company to be fun especially
dealing with couples who are satisfied and happy of what they purchased

either an engagement ring or everyday gift. Management is very

supportive especially in time of COVID-19
Productive and fun learning work environment
It was a great learning environment, my trainers were great on informing me about the stores mission and what they expect from their employees. I liked interacting with the different people that would come in with different stories on why they're thinking of making their specific purchase for themselves or loved ones.
Good pay for management , sales staff not so much
Rms have no work ethic and lack communication. Small HR department that does not help or have informed answers. low pay high expectations for sales staff .
People are the best part
The people you work with are the best part about Michael Hill, as a casual holiday employee you don't deal with the sales aspect directly and it's mostly keeping the store tidy and presentable, everyone I every dealt with was so nice and great to work with.
Very unprofessional store management
Upon arriving at the store one day, I was told that I had to run an errand for company purposes. That is fine and I have no issue with that. The issue I have is that they told me I had to use my own money, of which I didn't have enough, so I had to borrow from a family member. I was later reimbursed, and I mean a few days later. This is NO way to operate a company. I still had Christmas shopping to do with the money I had. I definitely don't recommend you or anyone works at Michael Hill, unless their management team learns how to be professional.
Absolutely awful, do not work here
Honestly, worst job of my life. Sales goals are too unrealistic and we're basically made to hound any customers that walk in or even look at the windows. Everyone is really petty and competitive and it just wasn't a good environment overall. Also, your comission rates there are a joke. Only work there if you really need a job.
Full of politics
Full of politics, and favoritism and drama. A far cry of what the company used to be. However, use it as a stepping stone for your career and leave asap.
Great place!!
You dont feel like you are working when you go to work. Everyone is so respectful and laid back. But they do put there job ahead of them and have a great mindset and time goes by fast. Amazing management.
Pros
Weekley pays
Not recommended
Very poor management, and poor moral. Salespeople don't care about customers. No ability to bonus except for at Christmas. No Christmas party this year though!
I experienced physical abuse from a colleague...she ripped the glasses off my head, said they looked tacky. Management made aware, but did nothing! Overpriced,poor quality for sale! Mark up from cost is huge!

Don't waste your time!
High turnover and poor regional support
I wouldn’t recommend working at Michael Hill for many reasons. Although you are paid fairly well, the targets are unrealistic and based off of what they want the store to hit and not over increases year over year. MHJ is managed by a regional manager who believes that intimidation is the best way to achieve results
Great experience
I love working for Michael Hill because of management. Working environment is really friendly, relaxing and most importantly very flexible.

really flexible
Nice place to work
Nice place to work , sales associate are friendly and team work .
Management is excellent very nice place to advance ,Training is good and pay is weekly, employment discount is very good .
Great management team and friendly co-workers
I was pretty enjoying the work environment in Michael Hill Winnipeg Outlet. Managers are very supportive. They helped me a lot when I got in trouble. And they might buy everyone a hot chocolate on a extremely freezing winter morning. Sales team are also very friendly and helpful. I felt quite relax and comfortable working with them.
Great people
Awesome place to work if want to be promoted to manager. However sales people’s Shift hours are constantly changing. Environment is stressful being in retail. Management is hit and miss for efficiency and friendliness. Perks are awesome.
good social co-workers/ good team work and fair management
The atmosphere is very welcoming and all employees are very cooperative and gives instructions well. the customer service is well organized. Management is fairly good.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
standing for long hours
Management wants you to run around the mall looking for customers
Management expects you to harass people to get sales. Huge turnover in staff nobody wants to stick around. I was advised not to get a job there, but decided to try. WORST DECISION EVER.
Management steals sales to get commissions for themselves.
Cons
No lunch room
Unorganized
This place is very unorganized and very dysfunctional. The management do not deal with conflicts or coach in order to help their employees learn and grow.
Professional environment
As Office Administrator, I enjoyed my job very much. It was exciting to handle each beautiful item as it was received or transferred to other departments. My manager was fair and flexible when considering my duties and personal challenges. Thank you for the opportunity to share Sir Michael Hill's excellence in the product and work ethics.
VERY competitive and hypocritical
Excellent training and great benefits. Upper management only cares if you follow their system when your sales are bad. If you're sales are good you can do what you want. They say one thing but bottom line if you get the sales they don't care. way too much pressure on store managers. very inconsistent quality of Regional Managers. Absolute scum bags are kept on while good people are dispatched. Ethically some of their practices were shady. The Michael Hill value guarantee is/was fraudulent. If your diamond is appraised for less than the retail price you get 10 % back. very often you include a certificate that has the retail price listed and the appraised value miraculously is always higher. Often when it wasn't you just resubmitted it until it did.
Pros
Great pay, training, recognition and benefits
Cons
long hours, unrealistic expectations, unethical behaviour rewarded if it results in strong sales.