Michael Garron Hospital
Happiness score is 70 out of 100

Michael Garron Hospital Employee Reviews

Canada35 reviews

staffgoodmanagementgreatworkplacetimeworking

Keep to yourself and you’ll be fine.

Loads of bullying from nurses and other staff members. Once you report it you have a target on your back. Other than that, pay is good, unionized and if you make it to full time you qualify for benefits.

Great pay & good management

Great pay & good management. I worked Pharmacy department, the only thing is that there are so many different people who manage different things. Some are nice, but some who is suppose to train you is not that nice.

Insights into Michael Garron Hospital

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things

Great place to start off

Overnight shifts are difficult but the work is very meaningful and a great experience for expanding into a career in counselling and social work. There are always great internal opportunities to improve as well.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Overnight shifts

Ok place to work during a pandemic, Not great

There was no fair treatment from management with co-workers. Some people could get away with a whole lot (like not showing up for shifts, and intentionally avoiding showing up to work with people because they don't like someone) while others follow all the rules and management still comes down on them. Some people play by the rules, and others who are in permanent positions are protected by the union and perform sub-par at work. Management chooses to keep less experienced people, who act like every day is their first day on the job - because they can offer open availability. There is no job security, moving up in the hospital is awarded to part-time workers who offer full-time availability. The quality of work one produces seems to go unnoticed, and management favours those with open availability rather than quality of work produced. It served a purpose (paid the bills), most coworkers are lovely however there are a few bad characters who seem to ruin it for others.. Lots of injustices within this work environment. You can get paid more $$$ working with other hospitals.

Pros

Most people are nice, most of the time

Cons

no job security, have to have open availability for part-time work to advance within the hospital, food options within the hospital are terrible, no benefits for part-time workers, union protects the wrong people

great workplace!

i love working here, genuinely try to get friends into michael garron as well. fair breaks, fair pay and management and coworkers are amazing. made some lifelong friends here.

Pros

management and coworkers

Cons

parking is terrible

Leading Care Provider

I have worked at MGH for 3 years and I have had a great time doing so. The management is very understanding and helpful. I would recommend going in for an interview and learning about your desired role.

Pros

onsite lunch options, great co-workers, close to TTC

Cons

long shifts

Terrible place to work. Always short staff. No support from the management.

Workers are forced to work overwork. No support from the management. Once you are on the floor, you are your own. No break. Use your time to finish the task. Awauful place to work.

Family environment

Staff work well together friendly and helpful caring, It is very difficult to get vacation sometimes especially during the holidays, sometimes can’t get an appropriate break do to the fast pace and busy times doctors are supportive and work well with staff

Pros

Friendly co workers

Cons

Rude patients and families at times felt unappreciated

Horrible place to work because of management!!!!

Management will resort to exaggerating incidents to outright lies to human resources if you are no longer in their "favour". They will find "legit" ways to harass you to try to make you quit when you can't take it anymore. They have their favorites, who can do no wrong, and the rest of the staff, they treat them like they are incompetent. Most staff are "afraid" to complain to upper management for fear of retaliation. Out of my 24 yrs with mgh, the last 8 yrs was pure h*ll because of the management on my unit for a wide variety of reasons. There are "good" managers there and there are "really bad" managers there. Luck of the draw depending on the unit!

High turnover

staff lay off or resign: 1 deputy CFO, 2 directors, 6 managers, and 4 analysts. If you have experience with big 5 CA firm, then you will have chance to be hired regardless your experience and you can pick and choose tasks.

Pros

CA firm experience staff

Cons

staff are disposible, no respect, no appreciation for hard working, no work life balance

Loved the workplace environment and culture, everyone was incredibly supportive of one another and between each department. The work was interesting and challenging in a good way.

Great coworkers

Great coworkers but the organization is very disorganized. They hire lots of temp employees, make you feel that there is a good chance to get rehired (through internally applying) and then you are not.

Pros

Good benefits, good staff to work with

Cons

disorganized, judgmental, empty promises

Very good workplace overall

I have learned a lot and I am continuing to learn new things each day. Most of the staff are very nice. Work life balance as a nurse is always hard . Good benefits when full-time. Referral program and tuition reimbursement available. Lots of hours available.

Great hospital

Great programs. Nice community hospital with warm and inviting community feel to the hospital. Would recommend this hospital as a place of employment as well as for patient care.

Productive, working in team, and felt motivated

My workplace culture is multicultural. Team mates are always helping each other. I learn to be compassionated, patience, time management skill, caring, and empathetic. Management is always helpful to resolve problems. I am always looking forward to go to work.

It's a great place to work. It allows opportunity to learn and grow. I would recommend Micheal Garron Hospital for anyone looking for a rewarding start to their careers.

Good

We are one if the most busy Emergency Department in Ontario, Considering the job is challenging at time, working with our team threw good and difficult times is rewarding.

My manager was not friendly

Experience was okay. Anesthesia billing Manager needs to be more kind and talk to a person like an adult, and not talk down on a person. If there is an error , she needs to stop yelling instead, educate.

Amazing experience

So happy that I had a chance to do my internship at Michel Garron Hospital. I got a lot of experience and meet a lot of nice people who willing to help.

Pros

Best IT team ever

Cons

no concerns at all

Student Nurse Position

Some Nurses very welcoming. A lot of staff have been there for a long time. They have their routine with their patients and do not like to have a lot of students in their way.

it was a pleasure working there as a PSW student.

every morning it is the same routine but that's okay. I learned how to work better with my co-workers. The management is very understanding.It is very fun place to work at.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michael Garron Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement