Metroland Media
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

Working at Metroland Media: Employee Reviews

Canada346 reviews

Industry that's on its way out

I'd look else where. Industry is dying out and haven't had a raise in over 8yrs. New hires come and go realizing that they could be working regular shifts for same pay

Great company to work for

Worked as a data capture representative for Meteoland Media, driving to car dealerships creating digital ads, photographing vehicles, great job, lots of travel, paid fair mileage, best part was talking to the dealers, best boss, as long as you showed up and did your job, no problems.

Pros

Work from home flexible schedule

Cons

None I can think of

Insights into Metroland Media

What people like
  • Support from manager
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to learn new things

No where to go but down.

If this is your first job then it will be okay until management gets ahold of you. Toxic environment and bad management. Also the product list is bad and not worth selling to your clients.

Pros

Easy work

Cons

Bad management with no advancement or raises.

Hard to make money

Very hard to make any real money. Newspapers are a dying industry. There are no substitute drivers so if you need any time off you have yo find and pay your own replacement. Very hard on vehicles.

Pros

Short work week

Cons

Poor pay

My first real job. Total garbage. Stay away.

The boss was a piece of work, co workers acted like Kindergarten children and don't sit down even if you're aching all over. It's frowned upon to breathe.

Pros

Made good friends but that's about it.

Cons

Everything. Stay away.

Good Place to work

Tough cold calling but it's advertising sales so you wouldn't expect anything different co-worker interaction and help is great able to sell many communities so look at the bigger picture.

Decent Summertime Side Job

I worked as a newspaper carrier in the summertime, it wasn't that bad but hauling heavy newspapers to each house was definitely a challenge. They pay some change per newspaper so definitely not to sustain a family or for a living. However, if you're just a teenager looking to make some extra cash in the summertime like I was then this would be a good option. For this job you're definitely going to need a car because carrying newspapers is definitely not ideal especially if they place you to deliver in an area that is not local to you, you're going to need to have some sort of transportation to get there.

Pros

A stable Job and it was easy to get in.

Cons

Have to carry heavy newspaper and are going to need some sort of mode of transportation.

Productive ad sense to belong in the work force

Need more work and money to make ends meet and gets me out off the farm to meet a lot of new people and enjoy talking to others and get home at a reasonable time

Pros

Get fuel paid for

Cons

Get more hours to do

Sink or Swim

You're kind of left to your own devices so you have to learn fast and sink or swim. There was no defined client list so you are at the whim of your colleagues as to whether or not you're going to get a client when they call in or if they're going to be claimed by another rep with more experience. Not really fair and on commission it really affects your salary. Then when you figure it all out and get rolling with regular customers and a somewhat decent pay cheque, they switch the clients around and you go back to square one.

Pros

You're left to service your clients however you want

Cons

Very little training, no support, low pay

Chaotic. Management is disconnected from salesforce

Management is disconnected from salesforce. Salespeople are given too much responsibility. Not enough support staff for salesforce. Terrible management. Push people down!

Pros

Set your own schedule. Health benefits

Cons

Poor management. Salespeople are not appreciated

Stressful workplace with low pay

Being a carrier was stressful as they do not pay you enough to be delivering papers in harsh weather. During the pandemic it got more difficult as customers do not seem to want to social distance and some even get mad when we carriers follow public health rules. I prefer to not be harrassed and scared by angry individuals for following protocols. It's not worth the long hours and the pay to be working as a carrier.

Pros

Exercise

Cons

Rude customers

If it wasn't for me moving I would have loved to stay with the company. People were encouraging and training is in place. To better the staff . Moving up through the company was a great experience. Office staff was eager to help and encourage people to exceed through the company I have a great experience working with this company. Would have liked to stay . But would love to return. We made news papers which isn't going to be servicing soon with technology taking off . I doubt news papers will survive.

Pros

Plenty of over time 12 hours

Cons

Shift work

Meh

So in the start of things I was told I was delivering to 250 houses newspapers, every week they'd give me over a thousand newspapers flyers and every few weeks magazines which I got paid a little extra for but out of the 250 houses only about 60 were actually picking up their papers and I was only getting paid $30 a week or $120-150 a month to deliver once a week so in all honesty pay was better than most towns but still really bad and not only was it bad but you had to wait till the end of every single month to get your pay,and you had from the Thursday that they delivered the papers to you until the following Wednesday to get the papers delivered but they do prefer you to have them delivered within the two days of getting them but my parents would make me put everything together as soon as I got home from school and deliver it all in one night so when I first started in the winter it would take me about 6 hours or so to do everything and then in the end of it I got it down to about two hours

Pros

1 day a week of work

Cons

Garbage job, long day, dogs attack you, garbage pay

Good co-workers, team work

I would still be there if I didn't get laid off. I enjoyed my coworkers and managers. Everyone was helpful and friendly and my pay was more than any job I've ever had.

It was okay

Low pay, a lot of work. Have to wrap flyers into one newspaper, and bring it to all the houses. They don’t supply you with something to carry all the paper in.

Great entry-level company

A great place to start your career and build experience in a highly competitive industry. The companionship among non-management staff is great, which makes for an enjoyable work experience.

Do not let your child apply

If your child is looking for a part time job do not apply here, everytime there are double flyers they deliver them to your house late and only give you limited time to get them assembled and delivered to houses. These people clearly don’t care about the wellbeing of their paperboys/papergirls

Slow paced and self management is a must to work here

Self management and must be able to work in any weather conditions. As all work is done outside. Paid by customers so the amount you make depends on them. Easy to balance extracurricular activities and the deliveries

Pros

Easy to balance work and life

Cons

Bad weather conditions often occur

Good company to work for

There is good communication between the Customer Services Representative and the drivers are good. They are there to support us if they are required

Pros

Communication

Cons

They don't give raises

Not worth it

For the amount you get paid to the amount of work you get is a rip off. The highest pay I got was 25$ for two weeks. Good for some loose cash but not worth it long term.

Pros

Work experience

Cons

Bad pay

cool

cool place kind of weird how they take 30$ from you every month and give you 40, and how the people receiving a newspaper don’t have to pay you if they don’t want to but eh.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metroland Media. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement