Metroland Media Employee Reviews

Fantastic
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON15 January 2019
Very user friendly site. Easy to navigate and understand. As I am currently applying for my first job as a highschool student I found this application process to be excellent.
Packaging papers and flyers and delivering to customers
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 December 2018
Excellent job for people entering the work force. Although the pay is minimal, there were incentives to earn points towards gift cards. It was often difficult to get a hold of management when having to problem solve issues. Job required excellent organizational and time management skills.
Fast-paced, rewarding, laid-back work environment
Journalist (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON4 December 2018
Work can be rewarding but there is always the fear of cut-backs, layoffs and closures. New skills are learned consistently as job requirements grow for each position.
under staffed factory.
Machine Operator/Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON2 December 2018
The work enviorment was over whelming due to the fact there was not enough employees and the factory was always struggling to find enough emplyees to work and make there quota day by day.
Pros
if you dont miss 5 shifts in a row (EASY!!) you get a $250 dollar bonus on your pay!
Cons
8 hour work day, 12 hour shift manditory every monday and only allowed 2-3 days off a week.
It was challenging and fun for the most part because there were many workers to communicate with.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2018
The company is huge itself, there are close to 1000 employees. The most challenging part was to keep the machine running without stopping, preplanning is required most importantly. if you don't succeed in the setup, you will have a bad day at work. when i setup the machine line, it runs smoothly. The hardest part about the job is setting up the flyers in the right order, there are so much work and dedication that goes into machine line. I hope I'm not trying to confuse you because there is so much that I can keep talking about this because it has so many procedures and if you get the set up right you can take a seat for your hard work and never have to leave your desk. During those free time, ill will be learning more about the machines, the machine is huge, it cost 2 million dollars and it has about 400 thousand parts. We have like 4 machines and 2 operators for each machine and 16 more employees to feed the line for each machine.
really great place to start
Flyer Distributor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 November 2018
its a really nice place to start as a first job. For me, the only bad part was that I was only paid $30 per month. But for the amount of hours we are putting in the price was good cause I was only working on Fridays.
Pros
Easy Job to start with
Cons
The salary is on the lows.
Not worth my time
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON26 November 2018
Was not worth my time for the money. Not everybody pays so it is very relient on the type of clients you have. Unless you have a lot of houses it wil proibably not be worth your while.
Awesome Job
Dilivery (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, BM26 November 2018
I love working for the metro land media and I was getting an awesome pay. I would love to work for them again whenever I can. I would recommend this company.
Pros
Awesome pay
Great
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2018
I really enjoyed working with this company. They help me with any problems I have and make it clear what is to be done. It's very easy, does not rush you, and you get paid well for your hard work.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Offers only one day (thursday) instead of other days of the week
Great place to work.
Graphic Artist / Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON12 November 2018
Everyone at Oshawa This Week are amazing people to work with. The pay was great, the hours where amazing, the work was good, and it was a fun place to be every day.
The job is easy the pay is terrible
Newspaper Courier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 November 2018
if you want pocket change go for the job, I was paid $40 a month to package and deliver a mountain of newspaper to my neighborhood, The job is very easy as you only have to do it twice a week but the pay needs to be improved especially for the number of newspapers you have to package and deliver.
Pros
Nothing honestly
Cons
pay was terrible
IT was a job
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 November 2018
Its a good job if your really young and you only want experience, but not the job you want if you plan on making any money. A regular day in the job consist of walking up and entire street giving out newspapers that you previously packed the hour before..
Pros
Its a job that you can use on your resume
Cons
Literally everything
It is not worth it!!
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  North York, ON3 November 2018
The amount of work that you have to do, compared to the amount of money you get payed is not worth it. They do not supply you with all of the items you need such as a tote or cart to transport the papers. The hardest part of the job is getting the newspapers ready after school on Thursdays for them to be delivered by 7pm.
Alright workplace, minimal contact unless neccesary.
Newspaper Courier (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON30 October 2018
I found working at metroland very tedious and impeding. Aside from the few minor discrepancies, i found it incredibly inviting and every worker was accepting and friendly.
Fun Working Experience
Youth Carrier, Markham Economist & Sun-A (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON21 October 2018
I have learned time management between work and school study, the responsibility every week to deliver out the newspaper. The hardest part is when there is complain about the newspaper, however I have solve the problem and have discussed with manager. The most enjoyable part of the job is when neighbors revive the newspaper, the smile on their face, and saying "Thank you, have a nice day!".
Best place I've worked at
Web Designer and Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2018
The company went through lots of changes in the past six and a half years. Many experiences. Some good, some bad.
But I've always considered Metroland Media my second home,
Does not pay out all wages when temp work completed!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 October 2018
This company will not pay out commission or unpaid wages after you leave the company. Currently owed over 4000 dollars. Will not communicate, does not pay employees the same hourly rate for the same job, basically once you leave the company they wash their hands of you. Apparently no longer working there means you are not entitled to money earn during hourly work or commission and because it's unionised the labor board will not accept a claim and the union won't speak to you because you no longer work there. The only way to get your EARNED money from this company is a lawsuit. Good luck.
Pros
Zero
Cons
Will not pay you
OK choice for a small side job
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 September 2018
Not very good as a part-time job at all, but is good for younger children. Is convenient for people who are not busy all the times and you can control your income with how many houses you deliver to.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Little pay for work
quick and easy routes near you
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON20 September 2018
for the short time I spent with this company, most of my experiences were delightful, and I believe that thus is an excellent job to pick up, only if you have time, and a reliable means of transport as papers are heavy.
Pros
able to be done on your own timing for that day
Ok working experience
Metroland Media Packer (Former Employee) –  London, ON5 September 2018
Work place culture was ok at best. The only thing that kept me working there for 5 years was the flexibility of hours, and the people I met there. The workplace was unorganized and was not run very well.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
management and staff was not the best