Metroland Media Employee Reviews

Started off pretty good, but towards the end not so much
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON14 March 2019
It was a good work environment, good co workers, pretty good management, and decent hours at the beginning. The only really downside is closer to the end, i was barely getting any shifts, and when i told management that i wouldn't be able to work as many days, that is when they started giving me more shifts
Great for a kid's first job
Newspaper delivery person (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 March 2019
Delivered the weekly newspaper every week. Insert the flyers into the papers and deliver to the specified list of houses. Great way for a kid to learn responsibility.
Good work experience for your first job
Carrier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 March 2019
When working as a carrier for Metroland Media. I would come home from school every Thursday and Friday and put together the newspapers. This experience taught me time management and responsibility. The hardest part of the job was the weight of all 50 papers because it would take me 4 or 5 trips to finish the entire route. The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to enjoy the fresh air and spend time outside.
Pros
Free movie tickets
Cons
Long hours, Low pay
Ok for younger kids getting to old for it.
Newspaper Deliverer/collector (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON2 March 2019
As above. Would like better employment wage relies on what customers decided to pay you on collection weeks. Other than that it's a good starting job for kids wanting to earn some extra cash.
fine
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 March 2019
worked here for my first job, boring, exhausting but good for a grade 7-10 age to get money in their pockets and earn some responsibility. fine expereince
Fun to get exercise
Flyer Carrier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 March 2019
Only work one day a week and is really good to get some exercise and is great as a first job but not more then that. Get to meet new neighbors and meet new people along the way
Pros
Exercise
Cons
Low pay
Great First Job for Children
Newspaper Courier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 February 2019
This job provides great exercise and decent pocket money for ambitious kids who desire more activity and less boredom in life. This is the ideal job for a child. It had many cons to it if looked at from an adult aspect, especially when you see the reality of being a newspaper courier. Essentially, working like a factory worker - getting your hands dirty and getting injured easily from the paper - just to get your $50-100 every two weeks.
Pros
Keeps children busy
Cons
Varying weather conditions, long work day assembling newspapers, constant customer complaints, horrible pay off if older and working this job
was a job, but really repetitive work.
Ontario (Former Employee) –  Ontario18 February 2019
It was an okay job, draining with 12 hr shifts, and repetitive work. workers rarely speak english. hard to learn on hand. and very far from home. unless you apply to be a forklift driver, or make quick money, id tell you to apply
Pros
nice lunch room. paid right away
Cons
Easy job with good payment for the hours put in
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON17 February 2019
Very easy job, most costumers are friendly but some can be harsh. 75% of the time its easy but in the snow/extreme cold and in the hot it can be very hard work. the people at meteroland are very nice. its a good opportunity to get to know people in your neighborhood. helps learning about money management.
Pros
Easy money
Cons
Bad weather
Okay place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 February 2019
There are different departments you can work in, classifieds - putting ads in the paper. circulation - dealing with problems related to paper delivery, pricing, flyers. It can be quite stressful depending on the times of the week, any delays. Management is extremely strict which puts a lot more pressure on people and everyone is tense and not enjoying their days. You make commission on certain things and depending on how much of that you can do there are times you'll be able to double your pay with it so that is definitely worth it if you can handle the stressful and tense work environment .
Pros
decent pay but only with commission
Cons
very stressful and tense
the hardest part of the job
Brampton Gaurdian (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 February 2019
You worked your really hard, 4 hours a day and you only got payed $50 a month. Then they later started decreasing the amount of pay you got each month. Wasn't really worth it.
very little pay for work done
Newspaper Courier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON2 February 2019
this place makes you feel not important. For the amount of labour done by the couriers, the pay is very little. You only receive about 10 cents per newspaper (less than 10 cents but more than 5)
Fantastic
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON15 January 2019
Very user friendly site. Easy to navigate and understand. As I am currently applying for my first job as a highschool student I found this application process to be excellent.
Time consuming carrier
Carrier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 December 2018
For a student in highschool this job was okay for me. It was only two days a week but it also tired me out a lot. And most times the pays were scattered and i was never promised on a certain pay as in like 14/hr. I got paid for how many flyers I put in my news papers which was never up to me. I had no control if I got paid $300 a month or $600, it was so disorganized. Plus, I only got paid once a month! This was very nerve wracking for me.
Pros
Only work two days a week
Cons
sometimes not worth the sallary
Packaging papers and flyers and delivering to customers
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 December 2018
Excellent job for people entering the work force. Although the pay is minimal, there were incentives to earn points towards gift cards. It was often difficult to get a hold of management when having to problem solve issues. Job required excellent organizational and time management skills.
Fast-paced, rewarding, laid-back work environment
Journalist (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON4 December 2018
Work can be rewarding but there is always the fear of cut-backs, layoffs and closures. New skills are learned consistently as job requirements grow for each position.
under staffed factory.
Machine Operator/Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON2 December 2018
The work enviorment was over whelming due to the fact there was not enough employees and the factory was always struggling to find enough emplyees to work and make there quota day by day.
Pros
if you dont miss 5 shifts in a row (EASY!!) you get a $250 dollar bonus on your pay!
Cons
8 hour work day, 12 hour shift manditory every monday and only allowed 2-3 days off a week.
It was challenging and fun for the most part because there were many workers to communicate with.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2018
The company is huge itself, there are close to 1000 employees. The most challenging part was to keep the machine running without stopping, preplanning is required most importantly. if you don't succeed in the setup, you will have a bad day at work. when i setup the machine line, it runs smoothly. The hardest part about the job is setting up the flyers in the right order, there are so much work and dedication that goes into machine line. I hope I'm not trying to confuse you because there is so much that I can keep talking about this because it has so many procedures and if you get the set up right you can take a seat for your hard work and never have to leave your desk. During those free time, ill will be learning more about the machines, the machine is huge, it cost 2 million dollars and it has about 400 thousand parts. We have like 4 machines and 2 operators for each machine and 16 more employees to feed the line for each machine.
really great place to start
Flyer Distributor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 November 2018
its a really nice place to start as a first job. For me, the only bad part was that I was only paid $30 per month. But for the amount of hours we are putting in the price was good cause I was only working on Fridays.
Pros
Easy Job to start with
Cons
The salary is on the lows.
Not worth my time
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON26 November 2018
Was not worth my time for the money. Not everybody pays so it is very relient on the type of clients you have. Unless you have a lot of houses it wil proibably not be worth your while.