Metroland Media Employee Reviews

Very calm and productive
Carrier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 April 2018
The management of this company was very kind and welcoming as they interacted well with other carriers. Being my first job, it allowed me to gain responsibility at a very young age. Delivering flyers in my building allowed me to be efficient in my work and allowed me to communicate well with others in my building. Although this job was tiring at times as I had to go floor to floor with heavy stacks of flyers, it provided me with a very strong work ethic and determination.

Although the pay wasn't very great, I still believe it is a great opportunity for young individuals to gain experience, exercise and responsibility.

It was a good job to gain a little pocket money!
Pros
Simple and efficient. It allowed me to gain experience and responsibility
Cons
Little pay for the amount of work that is put it. Although, I believe it is a good little job for pocket money
Low Pay for Newspaper Carriers
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON20 April 2018
I usually get my papers and go out in the winter times to deliver to 30 houses while getting paid at most 30 dollars a month which was harsh.I gained a lot of experience, but it wasn't worth it for the low pay.
Enjoyable company to work for
Stacker Operator (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON9 April 2018
Enjoyed working at the paper. People were great to work with including management.
Management had no problem with me learning new things about the job. They also sent me for my first aid and I was also able to be on health and safety committee. Never had a problem with management. They were always available to help me with any questions I had.
Fun job for those with extra time
Newspaper delivery (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON26 March 2018
While the pay is fair the hours are your own and work can be done at any time after noon.It was a very reasonable job for me when I was a child because I could work after school
Working at Metroland Media is fun, but now there isn't enough working hours.
Order picker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2018
I wake up at 5:00 a.m. to get to work that starts at 7:00 a.m. Work ends at 3:00 p.m. We work as a team and co-operate while working. The hardest part of working at Metroland Media is working with all the loud machine noises. The best thing is that all the co-workers are diverse and they are very nice.
Not Terrible
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 March 2018
Very frustrating environment. Nothing gets accomplished. Lots of talk and little action. No one appears to be held accountable. Everyone is nice but nothing gets done.
Good first job, but money isn't great
Paper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Acton, ON5 March 2018
This was the first job I had, and was a great way to teach me responsibility and commitment! The management was great for probably the first two years, and this job allowed me to save up to buy my first computer. After they switched managers, things started to get messy and I wasn't able to contact my employer when I needed more supplies or had concerns. Sometimes the items weren't delivered from the company to my house in time, meaning I wasn't able to do my job properly. I am so incredibly glad I had the opportunity to have this job for four years, but I was just ready to move on!
Pros
Great first job!
Cons
Hard work, low pay
very simple
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON3 March 2018
a typical day would be bringing the stacks of newspapers before the following thursday then once the final bundle of actual newspapers come in i would spend 4 hours every thursday assembling the newspapers and putting them in my cart then going house to house and making shure i deliver to the right house and give them the amount they want and sometimes the neighbours would come out and yell at me because there was no bags even though i try and tell them they dont provide bags and it was great for the dog because she could get her walk in to and the salary could be a bit more at least 100 for the two routes but other than that its very simple
Pros
very simple
Cons
pay isnt the greatest rude customers
Greatly Underpaid
Newspaper carrier (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON28 February 2018
The job is great, however, Carriers are greatly underpaid for the work and effort they put in. There is no fixed pay as a carrier must go collecting every 3 weeks.
Pros
Simple and short hours
Cons
Underpaid
Great first job
Newspaper Delivery (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON19 February 2018
Taught me responsibilities of a real job and the value of money. I recommend this job to young students who love working with their hands and taking walks in the neighbourhood.
Nothing too big
Courier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 January 2018
Delivering newspapers every week to bring some income is okay and nothing too big. It gave me my first work experience and it's very simple. Though I wish I had a real job instead.
Great flexibility in the office dynamic
Advertising Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON31 January 2018
Enjoyed advertising sales and promoting and marketing each customer (building their final PDF from scratch with the creative team) The challenge of cold calling and building a large successful clientele base was personally very satisfying.
Pros
Expenses paid
Cons
Downsizing as print media diminishes
Pretty Boring and doesnt pay well.
Newspaper Delivery Person (Former Employee) –  Ottawa South, ON28 January 2018
Had to deliver the papers now matter the weather. Learned nothing. The management didn't communicate very well. Hardest part of the job was getting the papers to their destination. The best part was finishing.
Pros
Money
Cons
Not ideal workplace conditions
Good Company to work for
ADVERTISING CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 January 2018
The direct Management and people at Metroland are great. Sadly, the deal between Postmedia and Metroland resulted in many great and talented people loosing their positions.

The print industry is sadly being replaced by digital, but there is a vast vacuum in the area of community reporting and affordable advertising venues for small business.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Lack of loyalty to hard-working staff
Easy and fun place to work
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2018
A typical day at work usually started after I finished school around 3:30- 4:00 pm. I would gather all of my flyers and news papers and organize them for about an hour until I really started to package them and depending on the weather conditions I would wrap them in plastic bags. Then from around 6:00 to 8:30pm my mom would drive me around the neighborhood and I would deliver them all. I learned how to be efficient and have fast thinking skills in short amounts of time. I also learned how to communicate with others in the neighborhood about which customers wanted specific news letters on specific dates. Hardest part of the job was just convincing my mother to drive me around because I don't have my drivers license yet. Most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the people in my neighborhood, and making some new friends on the way; also the exercise walking door to door and doing some stairs was also good for my personal fitness.
Pros
Only worked twice a week
Cons
Had to wait til the end of the month for my paycheck.
Not bad
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2018
Good way to get your exercise in for the day but the pay was not good. Spent approximately 3-4 hours a week but was only paid about $20 for it. Was also difficult during the Winter.
Pros
Can decide when to work
Cons
Low Pay
Enjoyable and supportive workplace
Newspaper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 January 2018
I will normally start to do work after school, it usually takes me 1 hour to 1 and a half hours to complete. I learned that the people you deliver to are not always the nicest people. The management is sometimes not there for you, especially when you need certain equipment. The workplace culture was very subordinate. The hardest part of the job is that you may have to work in bad weather. The most enjoyable part of the job is the feedback, people enjoy reading a paper once a week.
Pros
Have to work once a week
Cons
Lots of packaging
Was once a good company but is deteriorating rapidly.
Advertising Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON16 January 2018
The newspaper business was once a thriving business but the entire industry has taken a complete nosedive. Company is desperate and morale is at it's lowest. Every decision is made to save money rather than expand the business. Management is completely out of touch with current market trends and has unrealistic expectations of their sales staff.
bon really good
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, ON10 January 2018
Tres bonne entreprise j'ai adorer , je recommande a tout le monde
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 January 2018
My personal experience with Metroland Media Group Ltd was outstanding. I enjoyed my time there very much. Extremely fast paced environment and a fantastic team.