Metro Vancouver

Metro Vancouver Work-life balance reviews

Clear
4.0Pay & benefits

Progress at the speed of government

All in all, Metro Vancouver is a great place to work if you are straight out of school and have no other experience or are at the end of your career and just need a quiet place to hang out until the end. Not much opportunity for advancement of any kind; not for the ambitious types, to be certain.

Where Dreams and Careers Come to Die

If you want a secure job as a union employee, this is it. Kiss your career dreams and goals good bye though. Advancement is rare (union or exempt) - there's no career path anywhere in this outfit. Most management positions are filled from outside by individuals who have no idea of the culture, operational or technical aspects of the job. And most of those managers can't manage their way to the bathroom never mind manage a group of people. HR does a grand job protecting them. Productivity suffers under this leadership. Morale is low to none existent in most divisions due to leadership, lack of career advancement and and gross remuneration inequities. Let me explain, Teamster supervisors, responsible for 5 to 10 staff make $40 K to $50 K less than an exempt supervisor with only one report. Work/life balance - not here. You work an 8.5 hour day, get paid for 7.25 (if your union), if you are management feel free to work 12 hours a day while a colleague has their feet on their desk. You can work yourself into a nervous breakdown while your coworker does nothing and you both walk away with the same salary - again management and union alike. Benefits are also inequitable - management has 100% paid benefits and the unions are at 80%, wages - most exempt staff make $20 plus dollars an hour more than union staff. As an exempt employee you have no security and are subject to immediate dismissal should it be found beneficial to the employer. Additional vacation time is awarded to exempt within the first 10 years and union employees have to work 25 years before they reach the -

Great company to work for.

Great place to work. Very safety oriented company. Lots of safety training courses they send you to. Great people to work with too. I would go back in a heart beat.

flexable hours

these was an opportunity to have flexible hours, this came to an end with new CAO. Besides that Metro Vancouver is a good place to work. I must use my own car for work related travel when other professionals have a company car. A bit unfair but i am compensated for fuel.

Great Place to Work!

Excellent work-life balance. Well-organized plant facility with near completion of all equipment methodically labelled and SOPs fully developed. Operators work 12-hour shifts (7 to 7) and management, lab staff, programmers, and maintenance work M-to-F.

Very Supportive Company in fast growth pace

Fast pace environment with tons of support & well managed processes. lots of education & training, not a company that micro manages, Allows employees to be who they are with many benefits & fair salary.

Pros

good team support & culture

Cons

growing fast if you cant keep up, look out.

Outdoors, Fun and Exciting

Great place to work. Warm, inviting people to work with. Great balance of work and friends. Easy going and laid back, you don't feel rushed and pressured so you can complete a task properly and timely. It's great that you can ask questions and not feel silly about it.

Pros

Training Opportunities

Cons

Layoffs

You can make a difference - Fantastic Opportunities

In doing my job I feel I can make a difference and help make the lower mainland be a better place to live. My duties include both office and field work covering a broad scope of responsibilities. There is no limitation to personal growth and developing career skills. Can there be anything more satisfying?! While career advancement is limited, one can move laterally within the organization quite a bit. Great work experience that I would otherwise not have the opportunity to gain. There are two unions and an exempt staff group. Moving into jobs between the unions is rare. Moving into an exempt position happens often. I think our HR department is a busy group but are there to support staff no matter what it takes. Managers, supervisors and co-workers come in a range of competencies and that's no different anywhere else I've worked. It takes effort on both sides to make an effective work environment and the corporation encourages that by providing a range of means to accomplish that. I believe everyone here makes a tremendous effort to get along and support one another, kudos to those three work groups. The work life balance is fantastic. I would highly recommend giving Metro Vancouver a try. Hope to see you here soon!

Pros

Training, broad range of job opportunities.

Cons

Wages may be falling a bit behind.

Overall a great work place

Friendly work place with tones of great people that strive to make a difference in the area they are passionate about.

Fun work environment with some serious sustainable work done for the region

It makes one feel proud to be able to contribute for the growth of a region.We had an excellent and hard working team in HR.

Pros

dynamic work environment, a lot of cooperation and understanding

Jobs at Metro Vancouver