Metro Vancouver

Metro Vancouver Job security & advancement reviews

Clear
3.2Job security & advancement

Progress at the speed of government

All in all, Metro Vancouver is a great place to work if you are straight out of school and have no other experience or are at the end of your career and just need a quiet place to hang out until the end. Not much opportunity for advancement of any kind; not for the ambitious types, to be certain.

Enjoyable Position

Being a temporary social housing clerk I learned more than just what my positioned entailed and that is what lead to me to follow a career in Social Services.

Where Dreams and Careers Come to Die

If you want a secure job as a union employee, this is it. Kiss your career dreams and goals good bye though. Advancement is rare (union or exempt) - there's no career path anywhere in this outfit. Most management positions are filled from outside by individuals who have no idea of the culture, operational or technical aspects of the job. And most of those managers can't manage their way to the bathroom never mind manage a group of people. HR does a grand job protecting them. Productivity suffers under this leadership. Morale is low to none existent in most divisions due to leadership, lack of career advancement and and gross remuneration inequities. Let me explain, Teamster supervisors, responsible for 5 to 10 staff make $40 K to $50 K less than an exempt supervisor with only one report. Work/life balance - not here. You work an 8.5 hour day, get paid for 7.25 (if your union), if you are management feel free to work 12 hours a day while a colleague has their feet on their desk. You can work yourself into a nervous breakdown while your coworker does nothing and you both walk away with the same salary - again management and union alike. Benefits are also inequitable - management has 100% paid benefits and the unions are at 80%, wages - most exempt staff make $20 plus dollars an hour more than union staff. As an exempt employee you have no security and are subject to immediate dismissal should it be found beneficial to the employer. Additional vacation time is awarded to exempt within the first 10 years and union employees have to work 25 years before they reach the -

Decent company to work for, competitive wage, good benefits

The parks department of Metro is an excellent place to work, especially if you are in the field. Difficult to get advancement or permanent employment though, and seasonal workers must repeat the interview and application process year after year after year. If you are lucky enough to get on at a park you love, this job is a great way to spend your summers and earn some good coin. I highly recommend this type of employment for students.

Very Supportive Company in fast growth pace

Fast pace environment with tons of support & well managed processes. lots of education & training, not a company that micro manages, Allows employees to be who they are with many benefits & fair salary.

Pros

good team support & culture

Cons

growing fast if you cant keep up, look out.

Toxicity and nepotism from the top down.

Some departments are filled with great people who do great work. Unfortunately upper management seems uninterested in keeping or hiring more of these people. Micromanagement is an issue with head office being out of touch but interfering on a personal level with supervisors and their workers. Depending on the management you may be expected to clam up about severe incidents and unsafe operations or risk a personal vendetta (reports will be swept under rug regardless). 'Untouchables' can cost the company millions, literally blow up assets, or put peoples lives in danger but will readily find a promotion. HO abuse with HR is rampant and prevents supervisors from running their own ship.

Pros

Decent pay and benefits

Cons

Politics

Worst environment to work with

Worst environment/people to work with. People working there are out dated, and never upgrade their knowledge or skills. Environment is just killing your skills and your improvement. Whenever you want to improve something or upgrade something, you will find someone put you down. If you want to work there just to secure you from laid off, this is good place to stick with, otherwise nothing really fancy, micromanagement is making thing very difficult.

Pros

maybe close to main street, very good to commute from/to work

Cons

micromanagement, old mentality, out dated technology, not opened minded management, some area are toxic and make you sick

Career Limiting

Management has kept salary increases below rate of inflation and removed opportunities for promotion regardless of achievements. They have shown disinterest in retaining experienced professional staff, instead hiring inexperienced staff at lower salaries and showing nepotism to like-minded individuals. Managers seem disinterested in engaging staff and pursuing innovative methods in favour of maintaining status quo. It is clear management is not supportive of staff, taking a more 'us vs. them' approach.

Pros

business hours

Cons

lacks advancement opportunities

Great place to volunteer

Great people, great experience, even better work. There was never a time I did not feel welcome and was not helping the project we were woking on that day.

Pros

Great way to expand my knowledge base.

Outdoors, Fun and Exciting

Great place to work. Warm, inviting people to work with. Great balance of work and friends. Easy going and laid back, you don't feel rushed and pressured so you can complete a task properly and timely. It's great that you can ask questions and not feel silly about it.

Pros

Training Opportunities

Cons

Layoffs

Jobs at Metro Vancouver

See more jobs

You can make a difference - Fantastic Opportunities

In doing my job I feel I can make a difference and help make the lower mainland be a better place to live. My duties include both office and field work covering a broad scope of responsibilities. There is no limitation to personal growth and developing career skills. Can there be anything more satisfying?! While career advancement is limited, one can move laterally within the organization quite a bit. Great work experience that I would otherwise not have the opportunity to gain. There are two unions and an exempt staff group. Moving into jobs between the unions is rare. Moving into an exempt position happens often. I think our HR department is a busy group but are there to support staff no matter what it takes. Managers, supervisors and co-workers come in a range of competencies and that's no different anywhere else I've worked. It takes effort on both sides to make an effective work environment and the corporation encourages that by providing a range of means to accomplish that. I believe everyone here makes a tremendous effort to get along and support one another, kudos to those three work groups. The work life balance is fantastic. I would highly recommend giving Metro Vancouver a try. Hope to see you here soon!

Pros

Training, broad range of job opportunities.

Cons

Wages may be falling a bit behind.

The work is enjoyable

Too difficult to land a permanent position with Metro Vancouver.

Pros

Decent salary

Cons

as above description

Great place to work with

Its a great company to work with. I've learned many skills while performing clerical and secretarial duties as a assistant to manager. I gained experienced to work under high pressure as well as attention to detail.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metro Vancouver. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement