Metro Vancouver

Metro Vancouver Employee Reviews

Canada38 reviews

peoplegreatworkplacelearnedgoodjobcompany

Challenging projects, good work life balance

As a regional organization, MV has many interesting and large-scale projects to learn from. Work-life balance is fairly good, but don't expect zero overtime.

Great culture and great management

I am a temp but I can say that this assignment at Metro Vancouver has been one of the best employment experiences I've had in my adult life. Everyone here is so friendly, happy and helpful. Organized training, organized management, permanent staff benefits look amazing. Excellent pay rates and a respectful environment.I am amazed!

Insights into Metro Vancouver

Areas for improvement
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Trust in colleagues

Stay away

Recent management and HR change over.Pure rubbish leadership group. A lot of experienced staff have left this company as a result of the management culture.Stay away......

ok, not great/not bad

If you are a Technologist you aren't going anywhere because all they want in bachelors degrees to be "management", with a Technologist 2 year diploma you are stuck in the union and you will be never anything more than an assistant or have any responsibility. I would say by late 20's you have reached your ceiling in pay and advancementGreat co-workers (who were all Professional Engineers), a friendly bunch and I think they all work pretty hard, but are hamstrung by bureaucratic policies. For example it didn't matter how senior you were, a letter leaving the office must be reviewed and approved by your boss prior to being sent. Its also the only place in my career where anyone in the office was expected to keep telephone logs for every phone call made detailing the date, time, person and subjects discussed. I thought this was standard because I was out of school, but nope I have never seen it done at any other employerZero reward for showing any initiative. Zero perks, eg want a cup of coffee you had to pay. Want to go to the Christmas party, you had to pay.Bottom line, if you have any ambition STAY AWAY. I was straight out of school so it was a good place to start my career, but once I realized it was a dead end in my mid-20s I quit. If you like working just the hours expected and go home when the whistle blows not carrying about work, your career or anything THIS IS THE PERFECT PLACE for you.I will say on the plus side I got some fantastic experience working on some major infrastructure projects

Pros

a pay cheque, experience working on major infrastructure projects

Cons

zero rewards, bureaucratic policies

Click behaving

yes it is very click orientated. If you like kissing butt then by all means. Regional Parks department play favorites with inexperienced kids. Be aware

Pros

Cons

management

Great learning environment

Fun and exciting, best crew I’ve ever worked with. Keeps you motivated and always learning and mastering new skills. Constant training and excellent workout program. Team environment is exceptional

Enjoyable Position

Being a temporary social housing clerk I learned more than just what my positioned entailed and that is what lead to me to follow a career in Social Services.

Where Dreams and Careers Come to Die

If you want a secure job as a union employee, this is it. Kiss your career dreams and goals good bye though. Advancement is rare (union or exempt) - there's no career path anywhere in this outfit. Most management positions are filled from outside by individuals who have no idea of the culture, operational or technical aspects of the job. And most of those managers can't manage their way to the bathroom never mind manage a group of people. HR does a grand job protecting them. Productivity suffers under this leadership. Morale is low to none existent in most divisions due to leadership, lack of career advancement and and gross remuneration inequities. Let me explain, Teamster supervisors, responsible for 5 to 10 staff make $40 K to $50 K less than an exempt supervisor with only one report. Work/life balance - not here. You work an 8.5 hour day, get paid for 7.25 (if your union), if you are management feel free to work 12 hours a day while a colleague has their feet on their desk. You can work yourself into a nervous breakdown while your coworker does nothing and you both walk away with the same salary - again management and union alike. Benefits are also inequitable - management has 100% paid benefits and the unions are at 80%, wages - most exempt staff make $20 plus dollars an hour more than union staff. As an exempt employee you have no security and are subject to immediate dismissal should it be found beneficial to the employer. Additional vacation time is awarded to exempt within the first 10 years and union employees have to work 25 years before they reach the -

As written below.

A varied array of personnel types to supervise. Competency education is an important factor for everyone. i.e. numerous upgrades and education were always extropolated to each and every crew member. Upper management was very open to ideas from all members and acted upon. Most sites offered an onsite fitness facility for everyones' enjoyment through a monthly membership.

Progress at the speed of government

All in all, Metro Vancouver is a great place to work if you are straight out of school and have no other experience or are at the end of your career and just need a quiet place to hang out until the end. Not much opportunity for advancement of any kind; not for the ambitious types, to be certain.

Great company to work for.

Great place to work. Very safety oriented company. Lots of safety training courses they send you to. Great people to work with too. I would go back in a heart beat.

flexable hours

these was an opportunity to have flexible hours, this came to an end with new CAO. Besides that Metro Vancouver is a good place to work. I must use my own car for work related travel when other professionals have a company car. A bit unfair but i am compensated for fuel.

not fun to work with unknowing supervisors & managers

3 levels of management are all Chinese Canadians. Work in an environment of fear of the Supervisors always looking for your output and blaming you for things they are responsible.

Decent company to work for, competitive wage, good benefits

The parks department of Metro is an excellent place to work, especially if you are in the field. Difficult to get advancement or permanent employment though, and seasonal workers must repeat the interview and application process year after year after year. If you are lucky enough to get on at a park you love, this job is a great way to spend your summers and earn some good coin. I highly recommend this type of employment for students.

Great Place to Work!

Excellent work-life balance. Well-organized plant facility with near completion of all equipment methodically labelled and SOPs fully developed. Operators work 12-hour shifts (7 to 7) and management, lab staff, programmers, and maintenance work M-to-F.

Park patroller

They hiring young which led to "click" behaviour. Hiring too many people from some plant program at bcit. Patrollers seems to only work with specific people so they can hold hands and talk all day. Maybe put them into lawn care or maintenance rather bylaw/security. Lack of diversity and cultural lense mentality. If you are not part of their click...they will lie to get you in trouble (grapevine nonsense.) Some of these will not clarify situations and purposly sabotsge you through this behaviour. Some staff are amazing and mature. Management is great. Good pay but not great.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Professionalism

Very Supportive Company in fast growth pace

Fast pace environment with tons of support & well managed processes. lots of education & training, not a company that micro manages, Allows employees to be who they are with many benefits & fair salary.

Pros

good team support & culture

Cons

growing fast if you cant keep up, look out.

Toxicity and nepotism from the top down.

Some departments are filled with great people who do great work. Unfortunately upper management seems uninterested in keeping or hiring more of these people. Micromanagement is an issue with head office being out of touch but interfering on a personal level with supervisors and their workers. Depending on the management you may be expected to clam up about severe incidents and unsafe operations or risk a personal vendetta (reports will be swept under rug regardless). 'Untouchables' can cost the company millions, literally blow up assets, or put peoples lives in danger but will readily find a promotion. HO abuse with HR is rampant and prevents supervisors from running their own ship.

Pros

Decent pay and benefits

Cons

Politics

staff are very good people

This position is very social lots of interaction with clients and co-workers. Some computer work, telephone, and referrals to other services. Hardest part of the job is the 10% of clients who are very difficult.

Worst environment to work with

Worst environment/people to work with. People working there are out dated, and never upgrade their knowledge or skills. Environment is just killing your skills and your improvement. Whenever you want to improve something or upgrade something, you will find someone put you down. If you want to work there just to secure you from laid off, this is good place to stick with, otherwise nothing really fancy, micromanagement is making thing very difficult.

Pros

maybe close to main street, very good to commute from/to work

Cons

micromanagement, old mentality, out dated technology, not opened minded management, some area are toxic and make you sick

Best job in B.C

The dedication & strong work ethic was great to work alongside & I felt like i was a part of something much larger than myself. overall best job ever

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metro Vancouver. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement