Metro Inc.

• Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Stressful

There is a dysfunctional relationship between union and company.Union is uncooperative, unproductive, abusive. Company is disorganized, and inconsistent. Safety and Sanitation not taken seriously.

Pros

Benefits are pretty good

Cons

Toxic work environment

Draining

As someone who has worked at different grocery stores, I found Metro’s culture to be the worst. The store manager would never talk to us in a friendly way and was very cold. It’s very difficult to support yourself with this job because they pay the bare minimum wage, as low as they can. During the start of the pandemic I worked at a different grocery store that gave us $2 extra per hour during the stay at home orders. I came to metro at the tail end of the pandemic and learned that they were only ever given $150 metro gift cards as incentive, $300 for full timers. That was my first sign that the company does not care about its workers who are facing the public everyday. When you start they only give you 4 or 5 hour shifts, thankfully I didn’t have to commute much but if you would have to commute far, consider that you won’t get long shifts as a part timer, at least the first few months. The amount of hours I would get would fluctuate way too much (randomly get only 15 hours on certain weeks) even though I was asked how many hours I’d like to work and said 20-30. I was very surprised to learn that they are unionized and they deduct union fees in every paycheque but I really don’t know what good they do, with such poor pay and inconsistent hours and poor treatment that you experience as a clerk or cashier.

Pros

Usually busy so time goes by fast, get paid weekly

Cons

Management were cold/unkind, poor wages, inconsistent hours, useless union

Best fun work place

If you have a family it's really good to work at metro you don't feel afraid that you may lose your job someday bcause you have union support. Every employee is equal for them.

good for student summer job

Very boring job, long hours standing, sometimes heavy lifting, good management, nice collogues, no skill needed, good for student summer job, not a career

Pros

easy job

terrible place to work

demanding, stressful, heavy workload, awful management, rude customers, the worst ever schedule you can ever have. the management team does not respect the workers.

Hi

Great place to work at, great people, always a good time working there. Sometimes it can be a little stressful on holidays but overall good. Would recommend

Alright Workplace

Easy job, but very repetitive. Same thing everyday. People are nice and usually willing to help if you're not sure on what to do. However, it being a corporation you feel easily expendable. Unless you're going to be there for years, there's not moving up. The pay is poor and hours are inconsistent. Scheduling is very inconsistent, some weeks I'm getting 16-20+ hours as a part-timer, and the following I only get 8-12. Barely any money for the week.

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Good First Time Job

Cons

Inconsistent Hours

Unfair Pay and No Appreciation

I worked at Metro as a cashier for 1.5 years. Store manager showed appreciation for employees if higher-ups were around. Corporate came to the store once and they were absolutely awful. I was berated and belittled by someone from corporate in front of a long line of customers on a very busy day. The customers were abusive. The pay was terrible. They took away our pandemic pay in the middle of the pandemic. They were also understaffed - I was called multiple times a day being asked to come in because people kept not showing up and honestly I don't blame them. Coworkers were nice. Most people were trying their best but the system this job was built on is greedy and exploits workers. CEO needs to make some changes.

Pros

Cons

CEO exploits workers, Overworked, Underpaid

Job de base

Pour une job de base c'est correcte mais tu peux avoir 100x mieux ailleurs facilement.

Pros

Toujours occupé

Cons

Aucun avantages (rabais ou peu importe), bas salaire

unfar place to work

Metro Inc is unfair to the employees , they expect all your time to be given to them, they ask for doc note if calling in sick or get written up, the union is doesn't help. no room for advancement, no wages.

Pros

there is no pros

Cons

minimum wage is not enough money for the commitments they want from the employees

I enjoyed working with fresh not previously frozen fish.

I enjoyed helping out our customers when they asked me for advice because I love to cook. I enjoyed working with fresh fish instead of previously frozen fish.

Cons

Not enough hours. Boss played favoritism. Only the people she liked got the hours.

Decent place to work. Easy to learn. Good people.

This was my first job and so far it's been pretty good. No major complaints. Work is not easy but not hard. Not great pay but can't expect any more as a student. People are nice, management is involved so you actually get to know them.

Pros

Generally easy work.

Cons

Can get really busy, especially around holidays.

Horrible Management.

Very poor management. Got let go 2 weeks before my probation was up. They couldn’t clarify why they were letting me go. Happens to a lot of people that work here. They don’t want you to be part of the union so they’ll let you go before your 3 months is done. Clocked in for my shift, did everything as asked and more, and got let go 10 minutes before my shift was supposed to end. No warning at all. Very very poor communication skills on the managers end. Not a good place to work.

Pros

No pros.

Cons

Poor management, lack of communication, boring, mindless work.

Cruel and unusual punishment style workplace

The happiest day in my career with metro was the day I left the job. Brutally unfair to their workers. Peoples careers destroyed for no good reason.

Pros

Didn’t always need to wear a tie

Cons

Just about everything except the pro above

Only offer part time.

You have to work there for 7 years or more if you want full time pay. They will pay you as part time for full time hours. They are always short staffed. They need people but wont pay you full time, even if you are an amazing worker.

Pros

Easy to get groceries

Cons

Management and so called "union"

Flexible hours

Hours are weekly and very flexible for part time especially when you are in school. Seniority based scheduling so might take a while to get the shifts you wanted

Pros

Easy work

Cons

Can be hard if you have bad co-workers

Pretty good, compensation could be better

Have worked both in-store and in-office. Pretty good workplace depending on who you get to work with, but thankfully usually it's many people so you should be fine. If pay was higher, would be much better.

Decent Benefits/Pay for Entry Level/People with no Experience

The work is quite physical. Depending on the store the volume of physical labor demanded can be, literally, back-breaking. Some managers are very accommodating and even willing to train/teach new employees skills to move up. Other managers will micro-manage, yell, and generally harass you with unrealistic expectations. The company used make assistant managers work a week in each department to learn how they all work, but they don't do that anymore. Many of them have never stepped foot in a Meat Department, Dairy Cooler, or Bakery; and have no idea what that kind of work entails.

Pros

The union provides job security, benefits, pay for the level of skill required is pretty good.

Cons

Work is tough on the muscles and joints. Management can be quite unhelpful.

Ordinaire

Environnement de travail ordinaire proprio profite des employé en signant des poste mais ne donne pas les heures dues , bref bien decus

Pros

Collègues sympathique

Cons

Pause courte ou doit couper repas, salaire bas

Decent first job

I really liked my coworkers but there were a lot of issues. For one thing, the union environment protected slackers. A lot of the lifers there were making double what I was and putting in half the work. As well, one manager made everything personal, and the other one was extremely condescending (not to men, however). It was painfully obvious who their favorites were, and they'd pick on people they didn't like. Training was ok, you get one training shift and two buddy shifts, if they remembered, which doesn't seem like enough in my opinion. A lot of stuff you had to figure out on the job. Understaffing was also a frequent issue, and often you're forced to do two jobs for the price of one. Overall, only the coworkers made it worth it. If you stick to one position and are just looking for a part time gig, it's alright. In retrospect, I wish I didn't put so much effort in because it really doesn't pay off.

Pros

coworkers, job security

Cons

no discount, petty management, overworked, lazy coworkers

Stay away

Just a number and always want more ! No time to train new hires ! And a proper meat cutting program is needed ! Pay is below average for what is expected

Pros

Non

Cons

No appreciation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metro Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement