Metro Community Living Employee Reviews

Aweful
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS25 November 2019
What a compost bin of a company. The staff turn over is the highest Ive ever seen in any other agency and with good reason. The company is for profit and trying to advocate for even the clients basic needs often goes ignored if it requires any kind of spending. The homes have a cold and depressing way about them when you enter. Nothing about it screams warm and homey. There is a huge lack of education and compassion from the top down. Its ridiculous.
Wouldnt recommend unless your looking for a stressful job
Residential Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 October 2019
Co workers an clients are great. But managment is terrible to work for an there is little to no support as a worker. Schedule is suppose to be given 1 month in advance but They never do an your schedule changes almost every day because of how short staff they are. There is little to no communication between management an front line workers. The only way to really get a day off is to call in sick.
Great company
Residential Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 April 2019
Company runs well, staff is friendly and clients are friendly. I personally work 12 hour days, with 4 clients and two other staff members. I learned a lot about personal care, along with better time management. The hardest part about my job is when I am incapable of helping a client for whatever reason. Aside from that I love my job, the specific house I am in is full of amazing clients and staff that make it easier to work in. The job is fulfilling and rewarding.
Worst company
Mental Health Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 December 2018
Worst place I have ever worked. Clients are great but management is horrendous (except one or two PC’s which I’m sure will burnout very soon). I would not advise anyone to work here or put your loved ones in their care. Absolutely awful
rewarding
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS3 October 2018
The hardest part of this job is the 12 hour shifts when you have a family at home. It is a rewarding job but can also be stressful at times. The clients are all so unique so it is nice to get to know all of them while working there.
Good for some, not for most.
MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORT WORKER (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 August 2018
Poor support from management, and having to work 12 hour shifts alone are the only reasons I left.
If you work a night shift you are expected to sleep on a couch out in the open - most houses do not have a separate sleeping quarters for staff.
Management is overworked and thus, harasses staff when they call in sick, even if it is for a medical or family emergency.
If you are at work and your relief staff calls in sick, be prepared to stay stuck at work until you can find someone to come in for you.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Poor management staff
Under represented
Home Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS25 June 2018
This company prides itself on client care and community inclusion, and yet they lack in compassion, organization, or professionalism. They are a for profit company and it shows.

This company tends to not respect their staff, nor do they foster a healthy work life or balance. They pay the least in most of the companies of its ilk.
Cons
Twelve hour shifts. NO Breaks, 24 hour care homes. Instability. Low wages. Low health care benefits.
Great Place to work
Client Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Hali16 June 2018
Metro was a great place to work I would still be there if I had not gotten sick.. They have lots of options for shifts but a lot of the shifts are for overnights and because you get hired as a casual they all fall on you..
Pros
Great Clients and Staff
Great
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS3 June 2018
This was a student placement. I loved meeting and spending time with the clients and really enjoyed the fulltime staff in the home. Down time was not my favourite thing as I prefer to stay busy
Fast pace work environment
CRW (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 February 2018
you have to be able to learn your job quickly and ask lots of questions. Team support is awesome and supervisors are supportive.
You have to be able to work independent and ask for help when needed.
Supervisors are there to help you, just have to reach out to them. Co workers are great and most are always willing to help you.
Apartment clients are fun and everyday is different. I enjoy ILS more than working in the homes. Great if you like being busy and doing something different everyday.
Pros
Staff, clients and supervisors, paid mileage
Cons
Long hours, using your own vehicle
not the best to work for
Group Home Worker (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS28 November 2017
- Great team to work with.
- Supervisors are very hard to work with.
- everyone has been helpful in training and work great together as a team, which is key in this field. but Management does not care about there employees.
Terrible mangemet
Community Residential Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 October 2017
The management here is terrible and impossible to move into a part time or full time position, if your at the bottom they dont treat you with much respect.. Terrible communication.
Great clients however are wonderful and deserve better treatment. Company seems to be all about profit.
Took the job but kept looking.
Casual Support Worker (Former Employee) –  HRM21 June 2017
It was not so bad that I couldn't do it, but not good enough that I wanted to stay. management is under-educated, unorganized and do not foster a supportive environment. communication through out the entire company is poor and they are a for profit company, and clearly in it for the money. They do not pay a competitive wage for casuals and require very high minimums for availability. Very little training at each site and you'll be thrown into a lot of situations that are new with absolutely no training at all.
Terrible place to work. Company treats employees like garbage
Worker (Former Employee) –  HRM10 May 2017
Management tactics include bullying, degrading and verbally abusing employees, forcing employees to return from work injuries early, and not once listening to employees claims about safety in the workplace. One specific house coordinator is clueless and takes their frustrations out on new employees by screaming at them and insulting them. I do not recommend this company. The management is bitter due to the employees becoming unionized, and the pay raises that followed. All of the job postings from this company are for a reason!! They have a high turnover rate because they treat staff like garbage, despite the impression they give in the initial hiring process. Take the time and find a better company to work for. Save yourself the grief and frustration.
Pros
Wage is good
Cons
See above
Fun co-workers and clients
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax30 December 2015
12 hour shifts, distributing medications, night snacks and getting clients ready for bed. Nightly wellness checks completed.

Lack of organization from management.
Rewarding and challenging
Residential Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 July 2014
The biggest asset I have learned in working as a residential care worker is how to communicate appropriately and effectively with various clients. This position also challenged my organizational skills and my role as a leader. An average day is caring for a client that has some form of mental disability one on one. Booking appointments and outings everyday, reminding them of their daily responsibilities and assisting them in all aspects of their day, is all part of the job. These skills are something that will carry on with me for the rest of my career and I look forward into using them into a business role.